my first tarantulas and some questions

zxneon

Arachnosquire
I finally got my first tarantulas ! Actually 6 .
B. vagans , b. sabulosum , LP + tiny lp sling and GBB .
I used dry coco substrate , hide from plastic plant pot and water dish . more or less same setup for all .
Vagans (bout 2 inch body size) and one of sabulosum sealed shut hide with substrate same night . Not worried bout them . All young brachypelmas do stuff like that . right ?
I`m bit worried bout GBB (2+ inch body size all orange colors) .
Previous owner told that she may be in pemolt . She refused food , and there was visible darker spot on abdomen and she was slow . (gbb are normally fast right ?)
She sealed her hide with webbing .
So my question is how i can help her ? Do i need to add some moisture ? How ? By misting substrate or something else ?
GBB do not like moisture , but i have read that some moisture can help to molt. what is correct thing to do ?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
It isn't really proven that moisture has any effect on molting successfully. As long as your GBB has access to a small water dish, it'll be fine. I've kept mine on bone dry substrate since I got them at around 1" DLS.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I finally got my first tarantulas ! Actually 6 .
B. vagans , b. sabulosum , LP + tiny lp sling and GBB .
I used dry coco substrate , hide from plastic plant pot and water dish . more or less same setup for all .
Vagans (bout 2 inch body size) and one of sabulosum sealed shut hide with substrate same night . Not worried bout them . All young brachypelmas do stuff like that . right ?
I`m bit worried bout GBB (2+ inch body size all orange colors) .
Previous owner told that she may be in pemolt . She refused food , and there was visible darker spot on abdomen and she was slow . (gbb are normally fast right ?)
She sealed her hide with webbing .
So my question is how i can help her ? Do i need to add some moisture ? How ? By misting substrate or something else ?
GBB do not like moisture , but i have read that some moisture can help to molt. what is correct thing to do ?
Share some pictures of your setup it's easy to over do it with moisture, especially for C.cyaneopubescens. Nothing you describe is unusual for sling behavior, again pics would help clarify.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
It isn't really proven that moisture has any effect on molting successfully. As long as your GBB has access to a small water dish, it'll be fine. I've kept mine on bone dry substrate since I got them at around 1" DLS.
Well she is barricaded her self into hide , guess that she can go outside for water .

zxneon

Arachnosquire
Share some pictures of your setup it's easy to over do it with moisture, especially for C.cyaneopubescens. Nothing you describe is unusual for sling behavior, again pics would help clarify.
here is picture of GBB enclosure . Her hide is sealed with webing . As far i know she was in premolt . last owner told that she refused food , she was slow and there was visible small dark spot on abdomen.

brachypelmas was not in premolt , just digging and hiding . LP is fine and active (she only has bald abdomen)

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
here is picture of GBB enclosure . Her hide is sealed with webing . As far i know she was in premolt . last owner told that she refused food , she was slow and there was visible small dark spot on abdomen.

brachypelmas was not in premolt , just digging and hiding . LP is fine and active (she only has bald abdomen)
She's sealed her hide because she doesn't want to be disturbed, a molt could be imminent. Just keep her water dish full and leave it be, enclosure setup looks good.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron

My GBB did the exact same thing. When she is ready for a molt she goes in her cave and doesn't come out for a week or two after she has molted. Nothing to worry about. Your setup looks good from the photo.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
now all my brachypelmas (vagans and 2x sabulosum) are hiding in closed hides.
Only LP (bout 2.5 inch female) is in open. And whats with her super bald abdomen ? is that sign in early premolt (no dark spots yet)?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Please post photos of the remaining set ups and tarantulas. That way we can offer a little more insight :)

zxneon

Arachnosquire
Please post photos of the remaining set ups and tarantulas. That way we can offer a little more insight :)
here is some pictures . LP abdomen , LP enclosure , sabulosum enclosure (digged in hide, second sabulosum looks exactly same) and vagans enclosure (digged in hide)

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
One major flaw in the set ups...those hides....pots like that can be great, but they NEED to be broken...a whole pot is just a dead end and a very very poor hide...ideally they need to be able to burrow beneath the hide...using the pots like you are prevents this.

Otherwise you did a nice job...especially for a new keeper.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
One major flaw in the set ups...those hides....pots like that can be great, but they NEED to be broken...a whole pot is just a dead end and a very very poor hide...ideally they need to be able to burrow beneath the hide...using the pots like you are prevents this.

Otherwise you did a nice job...especially for a new keeper.
Only 2 spiders have full plastic pot inside - GBB and LP . All brachypelmas have half pot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but i have read that some moisture can help to molt
There's no scientific data to support this. I've never increased humidity for any T, including my AF GBB that I raised from a sling, and the other GBBs I've raised. They live in extremely xeric conditions.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
now all my brachypelmas (vagans and 2x sabulosum) are hiding in closed hides.
Only LP (bout 2.5 inch female) is in open. And whats with her super bald abdomen ? is that sign in early premolt (no dark spots yet)?
From what it sounds like, you may be getting a fair amount of molts soon. Just leave everyone alone, and make sure they have a way to get to water when they need. They'll figure the rest out.
On the subject of your larger LPs bald abdomen, she was probably in an environment where she felt the need to kick a lot.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
update on B.vagans . She has opened her hide - not completely , but by half . I can barely see there inside two sets of legs - one is molt . Is it safe to remove some dirt to remove molt ?
As far i know she has not been outside for water.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
update on B.vagans . She has opened her hide - not completely , but by half . I can barely see there inside two sets of legs - one is molt . Is it safe to remove some dirt to remove molt ?
As far i know she has not been outside for water.
I would leave her be for a few days. She will most likely push the molt out on her own. Just keep her water dish full and wait for her fangs to be black so you can feed her again.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
I would leave her be for a few days. She will most likely push the molt out on her own. Just keep her water dish full and wait for her fangs to be black so you can feed her again.
actually i have not done any feeding
She has done opposite thing - dragged molt inside deeper . Should i fish it out before she destroys it ?
Now my LP is clearly in premolt - her bald abdomen is turning black .