My First T!

Trytiped

Arachnopeon
Being someone who grew up catching every spider he could find, I find myself an adult now with no time to catch spiders and wanted to try something more unique. I make this post hoping for feed back on my setup and how I could improve it. I'm also curious if anyone could guess its age?

Using coconut fiber as my substrate at about 4-5 inches high. Temps are slightly below 80 with humidity at 60. Got him Saturday an he hasn't eaten but the store had his case filled with 5 crickets at all times.

Attachments

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
Welcome! :) I grew up that way too!

A few things I notice:

1. I would personally add a couple more inches of substrate to shorten the distance between the top of the enclosure and the sub (because tarantulas will climb and fall, lol)

2. Mesh tops aren't the safest because their legs/claws easily get stuck on them and can result in your T losing its leg completely.

3. I would bury the hide in a slightly diagonal direction toward the sub to make it a lot cozier for your T.

4. Add a water dish! They need water. Don't worry about adding rocks/a sponge or anything like that - not necessary.

5. Don't worry about humidity at ALL. Not part of this hobby, really, and your T likes it dry anyways. Room temp is perfectly fine, anything between 68-80 F isn't bad.

6. Don't do what the store did - never leave a bunch of live crickets in there. 1 or 2 per feeding is fine, and you can feed every week or two. Take them out within 24 hours if your T doesn't eat them.

Good luck with your gorgeous new T and keep us posted! :D

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
BTW, your tarantula has a BIG bum! :embarrassed: Looks like she's in premolt so I honestly wouldn't try feeding right now if I were you. (Also, crickets can EAT a molting tarantula, so better safe than sorry)

Trytiped

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely add more substrate in that case. I did do a lot of research but wanted to hear from experienced owners. I wasnt planning on putting any crickets in there cause for all I know he could've just molted or was about to molt so was planning to wait atleast 5 days. Any recommendations for a good top?

But if he looks like he's going to molt then I'll def hold off on that :)

Last edited:

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely add more substrate in that case. I did do a lot of research but wanted to hear from experienced owners. I wasnt planning on putting any crickets in there cause for all I know he could've just molted or was about to molt so was planning to wait atleast 5 days. Any recommendations for a good top?

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find anything other than mesh lids for 5 gallon tanks (assuming that's the size you're using). DIY is pretty much the only way to go. ExoticsLair on youtube uses these really cool wooden tops for his 5 gallons. I would check it out and see if you can get any inspo from him.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can get a piece of plexiglass and drill holes in it. You just have to make sure it’s secure, B. hamorii are escape artists. Putting something heavy on the lid works fine, but you could also get creative and glue magnets or hinges and latches to hold it in place. I’m using high strength magnets for my lids: 7C070119-C340-49AD-AE06-56D309A2BEED.jpeg

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
DIY is pretty much the only way to go. ExoticsLair on youtube uses these really cool wooden tops for his 5 gallons. I would check it out and see if you can get any inspo from him.
True, DIY is the way to go. I don't think those wooden tops are very good though, they heavily restrict ventilation (which Exotics has admitted) but he likes the look of it anyways. To be honest, I like him and he's entertaining, but his husbandry isn't always on point... just to keep in mind ;)

You can get a piece of plexiglass and drill holes in it. You just have to make sure it’s secure, B. hamorii are escape artists. Putting something heavy on the lid works fine, but you could also get creative and glue magnets or hinges and latches to hold it in place. I’m using high strength magnets for my lids: View attachment 283755
This!!!! This is the way to go imo :) I've seen a lot of users use this method.

Glad you've done research! This site probably has the best info from actual experienced keepers who really care about tarantulas so lurk around here whenever you can :)

And from looking at her, I would personally just wait for a molt, but if you want you can try offering one cricket to see if she takes it right away. If not, take it out and wait for the molt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trytiped

Arachnopeon
Thanks again for all the support guys! I will be putting all of your advice to use. Awesome setup Olan just orderd a sheet of plexiglass, have to make sure my beauty is safe :embarrassed:

Last edited:

Zevil

Arachnosquire
True, DIY is the way to go. I don't think those wooden tops are very good though, they heavily restrict ventilation (which Exotics has admitted) but he likes the look of it anyways. To be honest, I like him and he's entertaining, but his husbandry isn't always on point... just to keep in mind ;)

This!!!! This is the way to go imo :) I've seen a lot of users use this method.
Not to mention the likelihood of mould appearing in such humid conditions. Like him, I am in South East Asia, where it's hot and humid all year round. If there are limited ventilation, mould would form easily. Btw he's my favorite tarantula keeper on YouTube.

Trytiped

Arachnopeon
He molted! Or is molting? Idk he's in the up right position and at first glance I thought he had died during the molt... but thankfully he moved! I never saw him flip over so it's possible he molted right side up. Would that pose an issue? IMG_20180831_192608.jpg IMG_20180831_192720.jpg

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
He molted! Or is molting? Idk he's in the up right position and at first glance I thought he had died during the molt... but thankfully he moved! I never saw him flip over so it's possible he molted right side up. Would that pose an issue?
Typically right side up molts don't pose to be an issue. If you look at the inside part of the abdomen on the molt, you can sex your tarantula. Either that or you can post a picture to the gallery on here and see what other people have to say. Congrats on the successful molt!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great job modifying your set up to better suit your T! It is wonderful to see a new keeper put good advice to use.

Congratulations on the molt! While it IS possible she molted upright, it is more likely that you just didn't catch the process :) They flip back over fairly soon after completing the molt.

Trytiped

Arachnopeon
20180831_213550.jpg My B. Hamorii is doing great now! He has been very active and seemed to be cleaning itself for a while. Will be looking forward to feeding in a week. He seems to be a bit possessive over the molt so I'll leave it for now.

Last edited: