1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first T

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Kao, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Kao

Kao Arachnopeon

Arizona
    Advertisement
    Hey guys,

New to the forums, I got my first T about a month ago, B. Albo. Just got through my first molt and it was exciting!

Before
    65737.jpeg

After
    20180612_174447.jpg

I think I may be getting addicted.. haha

• Like Like x 1
  2. Allow me to feed your addiction then. I have plenty of Ts that need a new home

3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You have at least 25 years to go, if female, enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Is it normal for B. albo slings to have that smooth red setae on the abdomen? That post molt picture reminds me a lot of my vagans except for the color of the carapace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wondering the same, I don't remember My albo sling looking quite like this one.

6. Kao

Kao Arachnopeon

Arizona
    Well I posted the picture on the albo album and appareantly the reptile store that sold him to me labelled him wrong and it is in fact not an albo.. Which sucks. They said it looks like a vagans or an albiceps..

7. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnosquire

Congratulations!
    And I concur with other users that it does indeed took like a B. vagans. But I've never had an albopilosum so I could be wrong.

It is a good lesson to learn that reptile shops or typical pet stores almost always provide inaccurate information.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kao

Kao Arachnopeon

Arizona
    Yeah I completely understand, and I've read posts on here saying to not trust pet stores.. I did do my research beforehand but to me the slings just look very similar, maybe because I'm new to this.

9. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnobaron

Nothing wrong with B. vagans. They’re neat spiders, too!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Well, whatever it is, it's not a B. albopilosum since they don't have red setae as others have already poined out. B. vagans is very likely (@Mirandarachnid vagans may have a lighter carapace when younger), and B. albopilosum/vagans hybrid is possible. If it is a B. albiceps (also possible) you've won the lottery since they are much rarer and more expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kao

Kao Arachnopeon

Arizona
    So I won't really figure it out 100% until they are a bit bigger probably?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnosquire

TX
    Ive raised 6 from 1/4" slings to the 2" slings they are today and they are the Nicaraguan form, ive never seen any of the red coloration this one shows on an albo, but still very cool.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Yep, that's true but not really a problem. Those Brachypelma species are all more or less kept the same - hide, water dish and dry sub with one moist corner. You have a nice, but nameless tarantula :).

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Olan

Olan Arachnobaron Old Timer

Probably vagans. Vagans are awesome.
    I’ve raised 4 B. albiceps from slings, and they are hard to tell from a vagans when small. But yours has a bit of darkening to the carapace which looks like vagans to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Looks B. vagans to me all the way