My first T, paraphysa scrofa

FelixHartmann

Arachnopeon
Decided to hold my spider tonight since he was seaming a bit stressed about moving, made him really happy :D also took some picture while he was out, wanted to pinch hold him so I could get a ventral shot but I was scared :wall:

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

I kinda feel like I'm spamming my own thread but this is to cute to pass up :} as you can see in the pictures of his new set up I gave him a little tree. Well he managed to tackle his tree, so amusing this little guy {D

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Why thank you and I'll try and provide as much amusement as I can ;P

It's a littler bigger then a quarter at the moment.

He cost me $35 for all I know I could have gotten ripped off but I love my spider so it was worth it :)

For the moment I don't have a fancy enclosure set up just a small critter keeper, coco substrate (kept dry), a tea cup for him to hid in, and a bottle cap for water.
After seeing this pic, I would say that you probably have a female so $35 is not to bad.

Art

aStarsShadow

Arachnopeon
Definitely a beautiful T.! ^_^ Congratulations! Any other T's you plan on getting in the future?

Be careful about bringing in foliage from outside and exposing it to your tarantulas. Unless you can guarantee it doesn't have any pests or pesticides on it. Also, if that is a decorative tea cup not meant to actually be used - like decorative plates, cups, etc for display only - be cautious because from what I remember of my mom's collection of Japanese decorative plates, they warned about the ink and gold plating being toxic and to never use them for eating/drinking off of. Though they were really old and they may not make them like that anymore... Sorry, rambling! lol

-Sarah

FelixHartmann

Arachnopeon
Definitely a beautiful T.! ^_^ Congratulations! Any other T's you plan on getting in the future?

Be careful about bringing in foliage from outside and exposing it to your tarantulas. Unless you can guarantee it doesn't have any pests or pesticides on it. Also, if that is a decorative tea cup not meant to actually be used - like decorative plates, cups, etc for display only - be cautious because from what I remember of my mom's collection of Japanese decorative plates, they warned about the ink and gold plating being toxic and to never use them for eating/drinking off of. Though they were really old and they may not make them like that anymore... Sorry, rambling! lol

-Sarah
It's a $5 tea cup, it just looks pretty and I'm pretty sure it's safe at least I hope so I use to drink out of that thing :barf:

Also I have a herb garden outside in an old wine barrel, I use all organic potting soil and no pesticides or chemicals or anything, that was where I found thus little tree going so I figured it was safe. Though being without sun it started dying so I decided to take it out. As for future tarantulas I have a big list that I want (figure most people on this board do) but nothing planned for the immediate future.

And don't worry about rambling, I'm a lil talker as well {D

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Oh I've been meaning to ask this of the board (was gonna do it in the morning but since I'm here...), I switched my tarantula to coir as most people have told me to do, but the poor girl seams displeased. She hasn't come down from the walls at all over the past week, and she only moves whenever I do something that startles her (bump the table, drop in a cricket, open the cage to change water, ect...). She's also stopped eating, and has even become fearful of crickets, running away from them or even playing dead and letting the crickets crawl on her. She use to be so active always running around the cage, and would always go strait after any cricket the moment it got put in, so I have to ask were you guys maybe wrong about the substrate thing (does my spider maybe just not like coir?), or is this normal?

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh I've been meaning to ask this of the board (was gonna do it in the morning but since I'm here...), I switched my tarantula to coir as most people have told me to do, but the poor girl seams displeased. She hasn't come down from the walls at all over the past week, and she only moves whenever I do something that startles her (bump the table, drop in a cricket, open the cage to change water, ect...). She's also stopped eating, and has even become fearful of crickets, running away from them or even playing dead and letting the crickets crawl on her. She use to be so active always running around the cage, and would always go strait after any cricket the moment it got put in, so I have to ask were you guys maybe wrong about the substrate thing (does my spider maybe just not like coir?), or is this normal?
It could be that the coir is still a bit moist for the T; give it a bit of time to dry out, and she should come down from the walls.

tloquenehouk

Arachnopeon
Yeah-it looks a bit wet still. But i see this wuz posted a bit back so now that its drier-how is she likin it?

FelixHartmann

Arachnopeon
So I know I'm bring up an old thread but I did say in my first post I would bring up this thread for all questions related to my little scrofa. That being said I have a question, I know tarantulas fast and all that jazz but what with this being my first tarantula I figured err of the side of caution and it's best to ask. My scrofa hasn't eaten in 3 weeks now and she's still looking plump and I've been giving her water daily. To all of which she's been acting normal (besides the fact that she's a little crazy :sarcasm: ) but just earlier this week she's been webbing up the place in little spots here and there. I'm gonna assume she's pre molt but idk is she maybe trying to prepare for a mate or something, is there anything I should do maybe mist the place some or anything else. Any ideas or input or am I just worrying over nothing?

R McP

Arachnosquire
it deff sounds like premolt if you want to raise the humidity dont mist just overfill the water bowl but it should be fine without any extra humidity