My first T Bracypelma Albospilosum

decirp

Arachnopeon
First off just want to say hi. Been reading forums for a while now and finally pulled the trigger on my new Honduras Curly Hair. The lil dude or dudette is about the size of a quarter. Pretty active out a lot , he’s in a great lil enclosure with a nice hideout which he loves. I have a digital thermometer and the temp is around 73 inside the enclosure. I have a thin snake strip heating pad sitting beside the tank for some extra heat, not under the tank. Is this temp going to be warm enough or do I need to kick it up a few notches. I have read many different temp ranges for these lil creatures . Thanks all pretty excited I finally got one .

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Tarantulas live in a range of temperatures. Don't worry so much (i.e. at all) about "exact" numbers. The idea that they can only thrive at certain temperatures is a load of tosh, written by people who know absolutely nothing about tarantulas. The rule of thumb is this: If you are comfortable with the ambient temperature of the room then your T will be also.

decirp

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas live in a range of temperatures. Don't worry so much (i.e. at all) about "exact" numbers. The idea that they can only thrive at certain temperatures is a load of tosh, written by people who know absolutely nothing about tarantulas. The rule of thumb is this: If you are comfortable with the ambient temperature of the room then your T will be also.
Thanks so much , that’s what I had been reading but just wanted to be sure so my lil creature feature will be happy . Pretty stocked to finally have my first. I plan on attending the reptile show in Toronto on the 27th .

Major 78

Arachnosquire
Cool, I got my first T yesterday, a Nicaraguan Curly Hair, true form, about 2" DLS. Very hairy and docile.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Another question should i kill my cricket before feeding this lil beauty . Thanks again
If the cricket is longer than the sling's abdomen then yes, kill it. If it's the same size then it would be fine to offer it live.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Welcome to hobby. It's nice to see more people from Ontario. Did you purchase your spiderling from Tangled in Webs, by any chance?
You've picked the perfect species to start out with and you are going to love them. They will scavenge at that size, but they will also have no problems taking down small crickets. They have voracious appetites. I would keep a section of the substrate a bit damp for them and I always have a water dish in enclosures that have the room. I have never provided any heat sources, I keep all mine at room temperature and they do fine.
Tarantula Canada has an awesome selection of species appropriate for new people to the hobby. They have all the Brachypelma species, directly from Mexico, as part of the new program that Mexico has implemented. They also have Grammostola pulchripes in stock right now, which have become somewhat scarce in Canada lately. That is always one of my top recommendations for new people.
What were you considering picking up at the expo?

RonC

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby and our forum. I've been in the hobby only about 3 months. Purchased my curly hair about a month ago. A little smaller than yours. Crazy burrower and drags whole pre killed meal worms three times it's size into it's burrow. First time I tried a tiny live cricket it scared the T. The T was running one way around the enclosure and the cricket the other way. Finally got it out, killed it and put it back. Gone the next day.

decirp

Arachnopeon
Welcome to hobby. It's nice to see more people from Ontario. Did you purchase your spiderling from Tangled in Webs, by any chance?
You've picked the perfect species to start out with and you are going to love them. They will scavenge at that size, but they will also have no problems taking down small crickets. They have voracious appetites. I would keep a section of the substrate a bit damp for them and I always have a water dish in enclosures that have the room. I have never provided any heat sources, I keep all mine at room temperature and they do fine.
Tarantula Canada has an awesome selection of species appropriate for new people to the hobby. They have all the Brachypelma species, directly from Mexico, as part of the new program that Mexico has implemented. They also have Grammostola pulchripes in stock right now, which have become somewhat scarce in Canada lately. That is always one of my top recommendations for new people.
What were you considering picking up at the expo?
Loving it thus far , my lil one did come from Tarantula Canada. I have a water dish in the enclosure which I overflow a lil. It appears happy was out mostly yesterday , fed it a cricket which it ate overnight and now is chillin in his cave. A bit chilly in my basement I have the enclosure inside a cabinet. I have a heat pad sitting approx 1 to 2 inches away from the terrarium so just radiant heat. I read no heat pads directly to tank. I have applied Polly tape to the heat/sticky side of the mat so I can move it as necessary. Is it ok to use this way; keeps my enclosure around 74 degrees , not hot to the touch and again not touching tank. ThNks digging this so far.

Welcome to the hobby and our forum. I've been in the hobby only about 3 months. Purchased my curly hair about a month ago. A little smaller than yours. Crazy burrower and drags whole pre killed meal worms three times it's size into it's burrow. First time I tried a tiny live cricket it scared the T. The T was running one way around the enclosure and the cricket the other way. Finally got it out, killed it and put it back. Gone the next day.
Thanks the lil creature is doing well out a lot just chillin. Appears to be a good eater fed it a cricket last night and it is now gone. Lil dude or dudette chilling in cave. Heading to Toronto expo on the 27 of this month pick up a second. Any suggestions peeps. Can’t stop researching I’m addicted.

Loving it thus far , my lil one did come from Tarantula Canada. I have a water dish in the enclosure which I overflow a lil. It appears happy was out mostly yesterday , fed it a cricket which it ate overnight and now is chillin in his cave. A bit chilly in my basement I have the enclosure inside a cabinet. I have a heat pad sitting approx 1 to 2 inches away from the terrarium so just radiant heat. I read no heat pads directly to tank. I have applied Polly tape to the heat/sticky side of the mat so I can move it as necessary. Is it ok to use this way; keeps my enclosure around 74 degrees , not hot to the touch and again not touching tank. ThNks digging this so far.
Any suggestions what to grab from Expo, looking for something perhaps hard to get but still a decent beginner T. Thanks all

A few pics of my setup, please feel free to suggest anything ... again the heat is not touching the enclosure and it pretty low watt , not very hot to touch just some radiant heat in the cabinet ..

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Any suggestions what to grab from Expo, looking for something perhaps hard to get but still a decent beginner T. Thanks all
Grammostola pulchripes or Grammostola pulchra, Eupalaestrus campestratus, all of the Brachypelma and Aphonopelma, Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi. All of those are on Tarantula Canada's current pricelist and vary in both sizes and price.
Aphonopelma are a bit hit and miss in Canada, except for Aphonopelma seemanni which is always available. Grammostola pulchripes and pulchra are getting scarce. Eupalaestrus campestratus disappear on and off and are always in demand. Euathlus are also hit and miss.
The slowest growing will be the Aphonopelma, followed by the Grammostola pulchra, Brachypelma, and Eupalaestrus. The Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi is a bit faster growing, but also a bit more skittish. Grammostola pulchripes is a bit faster growing as well and will be the largest species as adults.
The tables are always very busy at the expos, so having an idea of what you want before you get there is a good idea. Trying to have a conversation with anyone is a bit tough to do. There are only two regular tarantula vendors at the expos - Tarantula Canada and Tangled in Webs - so they always have a fair amount of people milling around the tables.

decirp

Arachnopeon
Grammostola pulchripes or Grammostola pulchra, Eupalaestrus campestratus, all of the Brachypelma and Aphonopelma, Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi. All of those are on Tarantula Canada's current pricelist and vary in both sizes and price.
Aphonopelma are a bit hit and miss in Canada, except for Aphonopelma seemanni which is always available. Grammostola pulchripes and pulchra are getting scarce. Eupalaestrus campestratus disappear on and off and are always in demand. Euathlus are also hit and miss.
The slowest growing will be the Aphonopelma, followed by the Grammostola pulchra, Brachypelma, and Eupalaestrus. The Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi is a bit faster growing, but also a bit more skittish. Grammostola pulchripes is a bit faster growing as well and will be the largest species as adults.
The tables are always very busy at the expos, so having an idea of what you want before you get there is a good idea. Trying to have a conversation with anyone is a bit tough to do. There are only two regular tarantula vendors at the expos - Tarantula Canada and Tangled in Webs - so they always have a fair amount of people milling around the tables.
I have read up on most of those you mentioned and all were kinda on my list as options. I’ve been eyeing up the campestratus on Tarantala Canada’s web page haha. Kinda want to get my hand on a young female if possible. Already got a 50/50 on the curly. Thanks for all those suggestions it means I’m on the right track .

Major 78

Arachnosquire
That looks way bigger than 2'' DLS legspan. It looks more of 4'' DLS. Why don't you ventral sex it at that size??
They said they think it’s a female. I didn’t central sex it yet since it doesn’t like to climb on the glass, just stays on the ground. Also, yeah your probably right on the 4” DLS.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have read up on most of those you mentioned and all were kinda on my list as options. I’ve been eyeing up the campestratus on Tarantala Canada’s web page haha. Kinda want to get my hand on a young female if possible. Already got a 50/50 on the curly. Thanks for all those suggestions it means I’m on the right track .
The chances of finding a female Eupalaestrus campestratus is slim and none. The only place you would find one is from someone selling their private collection online. The last female I saw for sale was about four years ago and she was selling for $300. Everyone that I know with a female isn't parting with them... including me. They are slow growing, in very high demand, and spiderlings are not available that often and are expensive.
Females of all those species are going to be very expensive in Canada, especially in the GTA. The least expensive females are Brachypelma albopilosum. For all the other species, you are looking at $100 at the very minimum and several hundred for some of the others. Some of those species take years of raising to even get to the point that they can be sexed. People put a lot of time and effort into raising them and they are not cheap as larger sexed females.