My first spiderling :)

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Well, I got my first spiderling the day before yesterday. He's an OBT :biggrin:.

Hopefully the picture attached. It's right after unpacking him, he's in a deli cup while I rearranged his permanent enclosure... I'd photograph him there, except that he's taken up a spot behind some silk leaves that is tricky to shoot.

Well, I'm just a newbie here, but I thought I'd introduce myself on a positive note :).

Edit: Forgot to add, he's about 3/4". The pet store ran out of pin-heads, so I tried a cricket the next size up, which I thought was going to be too big and he'd just refuse it, but he totally tackled it. That was fun, but I think I'll stick with pin-heads for a while yet.

Attachments

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Cool, these are a great species, I got an adult 4" female last week as I wanted something a little different from my Grammy's & Brachy's, did my homework so knew what I was getting into, was thinking of a sling but was offered a beautiful adult female at a bargain price so couldn't refuse... They are simply stunning as adults in the flesh, very active and constructive constantly changing their enclosures with webbing and burrows, so far a very voracious feeder too, just be careful when yours gets a little bigger as i'm sure you know that these can be very fast and defensive with quite a nasty bite according to some reports! Having said that, so far mine hasn't been the banshee from hell that some would lead you to believe, but then I only feed, water and observe as necessary, so far she has remained quite docile if a little skittish at times. Now i'm looking to get some more OW species. Have fun! Mark

jakykong

Arachnobaron
yeah, I was half-way hoping for a 3/4" spider to try giving me a 7/8" threat display, but no such luck. Nonetheless I think that it's just because he's a tiny spider... if I were 1/10,000 the size of my owner, I think I'd be somewhat skittish, too! In any case, I read the bite reports and I think I could deal with it if it happens (I read them before I bought it, of course!)... just part of owning a T :)

It's neat to hear that they grow fast. I ordered another sling at about the same time (G. pulchripes) but he hasn't been shipped yet... Anyway, I hear they grow very slowly. As for eating like a pig, yep, he finished off that entire cricket. It nearly doubled the size of his abdomen, and I can't find the food bolus... That cricket was almost as big as he is, so, heh, not bad for a little guy!:o_O:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congratulations! OBT slings are great fun to watch grow. You won't be disappointed!