My first sling

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon
Tomorrow I am going to purchase my first sling from a local breeder. The spiderling is a Nhandu tripepii and I am told it is 2 and a half inches at the time of writing.
The breeder said they would send the sling home in the enclosure it is living in, I'm told it is a plastic deli cup. I'll also be asking what prey items they feed it so I can continue feeding it the same thing.
If you guys have any advice specific for slings of Nhandu tripepii I'd love to hear it, also personal experiences would be super. I've done my research on the care of slings but I'm sure I have lots to learn.

cold blood

Staff member
What they were eating in the past is not relevant, they will eat whatever you put in front of them. These are fast growers and absolutely not picky eaters.

Dman

Arachnosquire
Keep enclosure small about 3x the leg span is good. For a sling I like coco fiber and some Sphagnum moss mixed up. Mist the mix just enough that it holds together when squeezed. This is not wet just barely moist. Offer a bottle cap water dish in one corner. These will burrow if given a hide and starter hole. Offer at least 3-4 inches of substrate mix. Plenty of ventilation and let soil dry out. When dry moisten by over filling the water bowl slightly in that corner. Offer food once a week and remove any uneaten prey after 24 hours. This has been my blueprint for 90% Of any sling I have raised. Should be right for yours.

Is this your first spider in general or just your first juvenile?

Also, great name! I grow a couple of species of Nep in my glasshouse, they're incredible!

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
Is it possible the breeder meant 2 and a half cm? I'd be surprised if the breeder was calling a two and a half inch spider a sling and a deli cup would be too small for a spider that size.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it possible the breeder meant 2 and a half cm? I'd be surprised if the breeder was calling a two and a half inch spider a sling and a deli cup would be too small for a spider that size.
When a sling started to loose it sling colors and begins to get adult coloration, then it is a juvenile! This is how i have always destinct them!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I wasn't sure as to what point they stop being slings and start being juvinilles. I'll be sure to post pics so everyone can see
It's pretty relative, but it is species based to a degree. Juvi generally means out of danger stage, starting to get some adult colors, and is about 1/4-1/3 of the spiders max size. So a juvi Theraphosa would be around 2.5-3". While a juvi Ami or Cyriocosmus would only be around .5-.75".

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon
FB_IMG_1558977555229.jpg
(Not my photo or my hand) this is a photo from the breeder's facebook page. I assume this is the size of the Nhandu I will be meeting them to buy later today (caption said these were the N. tripepii) It's not 1 and a half inches more like, half an inch. Perhaps I read the listing incorrectly or they made a typo.
I will post pics when the little one comes home with me

cold blood

Staff member
View attachment 309863
(Not my photo or my hand) this is a photo from the breeder's facebook page. I assume this is the size of the Nhandu I will be meeting them to buy later today (caption said these were the N. tripepii) It's not 1 and a half inches more like, half an inch. Perhaps I read the listing incorrectly or they made a typo.
I will post pics when the little one comes home with me
now thats a sling...second or third instar.

Kerp it in a simple condiment cup with slightly damp sub...even at that size, theyre spectacular eaters, and they grow quickly, too.

In no time you will have this

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon

cold blood

Staff member

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon

NepenthesFriend

Arachnopeon
Sadly things fell through with the breeder so no Nhandu tripepii sling for me.
Haven't given up on getting a tarantula though!