My first real post! A. avic enclosures

TMO

Arachnopeon
these are my 2 enclosures for my avics

I’ve been following an reading other post and I think I covered everything. Vent holes. Low and high for cross ventilation. Plenty of cover up high. Took out the moss.

I’ve had them about 6 months and they’ve each molted only once since I’ve had them.

Have I missed anything?

Attachments

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Looks pretty good. Those live pothos plants? All plants tend to give off humidity and you don’t want to make it stuffy in there for your little guy. Also I would probably add a few more ventilation holes towards the top of the enclosure. It may be hard to see, but I don’t see a water dish in there. Heat lamps aren’t needed for tarantulas either, but I am assuming that may be for your plants? IMO fake plants would be much better and safer for your T.

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Your OBT enclosure needs a whole lot more substrate btw. Just noticed that in one your pics. Lol great enclosures nonetheless

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I see the pic correctly, I don't believe you have nearly enough holes for venting with Avics. To give you an idea what I do, with a 4x4x6 inch acrylic box, I put 4 or 5 across each side near the top. On the very top of the container, I put an X pattern for holes, and at least or 2 in the middle - used for adding water droplets to webbing after molting.

Vertically on each side (left/right), I drop about 4 holes (so total of 8 vertical holes per side), and one in the center to serve as a port to add a syringe to put water into bowl.

TMO

Arachnopeon
There are 4-5 holes at top and bottom of each side and one in the middle. The top has 6 holes and the back door has 10 holes. There are some live Pothos in there but the majority is fake pothos. The water dish is up high. It’s a gecko feeder thing with a suction cup to hold it to wall. It has a little deli cup for the water.

And yes. I know the OBT needs more substrate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are 4-5 holes at top and bottom of each side and one in the middle. The top has 6 holes and the back door has 10 holes. There are some live Pothos in there but the majority is fake pothos. The water dish is up high. It’s a gecko feeder thing with a suction cup to hold it to wall. It has a little deli cup for the water.

And yes. I know the OBT needs more substrate.
Keep us posted on the plants. I know they will be webbed over, but pothos are pretty resilient, be curious to see how they do.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here’s an updated picture. I added a few more holes.
That may work. There's no science to how many holes we all know that, but there is plenty of death data for moist/stuff cages being Avic killers.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Good array on the holes. I know some tarantulas can survive in very stagnant conditions, but that does not mean it is good for them. Most if not all of my acrylic and other plastic cages have hole arrays on top or near it and down the sides to soil level. As mentioned above there is no exact science to how they should be laid out, but having holes on top and near ground level does tend to have better circulation than just all holes up top.

TMO

Arachnopeon
They were in a giant 18/18/24 exoterra.
They both webbed up a cork tube and never left them. When I moved them home from my classroom this summer, I built the smaller acrylic enclosures. They’ve seemed happy, they eat well, but they never web much. I see them out all the time. One is in premolt, but still isn’t webbin much. Maybe the extra holes and ventilation will make them more comfortable. Any other advice?