My first potential loss

DanJ

Arachnopeon
Considering that we have no clue, your theory could be as good as any. However I'm not seeing the wet spec you're speaking of.

The theory I had looking through the photos is that the substrate looks pretty dang wet, even for a species that appreciates moisture such as N. incei, and I'm not seeing any ventilation in the sides of the enclosure. Perhaps there's some on the lid, but if not and the substrate is as wet as it looks, it could have gotten too humid/stuffy in there and the T was on the decline in health until OP opened the enclosure and allowed some fresh air/airflow into the enclosure, helping the T recover.
The substrate looks wet because I pipette some water in front of it for some moisture just incase it was really dehydrated, I can see why you thought it was soaking. That's what the little spec of water is on it aswell, not hemolymph.

Unfortunately, I found him again last night in the same spot. He's pretty much in a death curl now in the hide I actually made it.
20190817_074218.jpg

Plenty of ventilation, I'm one of you, advocate for plenty of ventilation in enclosures.
20190817_073959.jpg

Thanks all for your concerns and help nothing I can do from now on, just leave him be and hope for the best - no need to cause unnecessary stress.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If that was a bad molt, it is the worst I've ever seen. I'm so sorry.

Arthroverts
How tall is the cage could it had been injured falling ? I recently added tons of top soil to all my cages to lower fall risks . I fill them around 3/4 full . 5”-7” of space for a 6”-8” spider to be able to climb or hide a hide hide in middle .
I’m fearing a fall could happen for one of my big lasiodoras.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
It happens. My male GBB passed on tarantula appreciation day. That was kind of a bummer.

DanJ

Arachnopeon
How tall is the cage could it had been injured falling ? I recently added tons of top soil to all my cages to lower fall risks . I fill them around 3/4 full . 5”-7” of space for a 6”-8” spider to be able to climb or hide a hide hide in middle .
Literally not much at all, 3 inches maybe?
20190817_075706.jpg

It happens. My male GBB passed on tarantula appreciation day. That was kind of a bummer.
Ye unfortunately it does, one of them things I guess. I'm pretty confident it isnt a husbandry issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
Ye unfortunately it does, one of them things I guess. I'm pretty confident it isnt a husbandry issue.
I had a tough time with the H. incie too. I had a few of them and they all grew well and then 1 by 1 all passed away. I think it was all on the 3rd molt. They where freebies, but still sucked. My GBB just matured out.

DanJ

Arachnopeon
I had a tough time with the H. incie too. I had a few of them and they all grew well and then 1 by 1 all passed away. I think it was all on the 3rd molt. They where freebies, but still sucked. My GBB just matured out.
Ouch that's pretty unfortunate - where yours showing the same symptoms as mine or did they just go into a death curl and die?

On the plus side my P.Irminia successfully molted two days ago and is now twice the size, keeping the molt as a token in its dirt curtain. - for every negative theres a positive

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah in eventually I need more Ts but I’m moving more to adding more old world and nw species without urticaria hairs .
I lost two Ts to getting stuck in molt Last 2 years .
Sorry for your loss.
I lose more Ts to random death for no reason then , bad molts. I’ve made sure there’s nothing sharp in the top soil I buy from Home Depot. I may try Lowe’s if it’s better quality .

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
The substrate looks wet because I pipette some water in front of it for some moisture just incase it was really dehydrated, I can see why you thought it was soaking. That's what the little spec of water is on it aswell, not hemolymph.

Unfortunately, I found him again last night in the same spot. He's pretty much in a death curl now in the hide I actually made it.
View attachment 317941

Plenty of ventilation, I'm one of you, advocate for plenty of ventilation in enclosures.
View attachment 317940

Thanks all for your concerns and help nothing I can do from now on, just leave him be and hope for the best - no need to cause unnecessary stress.

That disproves my theory thoroughly then, your setup overall looks quite good and I cannot find any issue with it seeing that you did indeed have ample ventilation.

Do you know approximately how old it was? N. incei aren't particularly long lived from what I gather, so if you bought her as an adult and/or have had her for a long time it could have just been her time to go. The only other thing I could think of is potential exposure to chemicals with the odd behavior - has anyone sprayed any pesticides in or around your house? Maybe the neighbors treated their lawn? Or have any pets been given flea/tick treatment?

So sorry for the sudden turn of events after things had seemed to get better. I know how much that sucks when you think things look like they're going to be alright, just for it all to take one massive nosedive. :(

DanJ

Arachnopeon
That disproves my theory thoroughly then, your setup overall looks quite good and I cannot find any issue with it seeing that you did indeed have ample ventilation.

Do you know approximately how old it was? N. incei aren't particularly long lived from what I gather, so if you bought her as an adult and/or have had her for a long time it could have just been her time to go. The only other thing I could think of is potential exposure to chemicals with the odd behavior - has anyone sprayed any pesticides in or around your house? Maybe the neighbors treated their lawn? Or have any pets been given flea/tick treatment?

So sorry for the sudden turn of events after things had seemed to get better. I know how much that sucks when you think things look like they're going to be alright, just for it all to take one massive nosedive. :(
We use fly sticky tape so we dont use any insecticides, and not that I know of but we dont open the windows to the spider room. Dont have any other pets except for my Ts.

Update aswell, T has come out of a death curl but been acting wierd for a few days - just got home from work and it actually is molting now standing up, and I'm definetly not making a mistake this time! I'm hoping it pulls through and regains some normality if it does, I can see its poped its carapace and under the abdomen but that's all I can see so far, I'll keep you updated.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
We use fly sticky tape so we dont use any insecticides, and not that I know of but we dont open the windows to the spider room. Dont have any other pets except for my Ts.

Update aswell, T has come out of a death curl but been acting wierd for a few days - just got home from work and it actually is molting now standing up, and I'm definetly not making a mistake this time! I'm hoping it pulls through and regains some normality if it does, I can see its poped its carapace and under the abdomen but that's all I can see so far, I'll keep you updated.

This thread is a dang rollercoaster. :rofl: I hope she pulls through!!

DanJ

Arachnopeon
This thread is a dang rollercoaster. :rofl: I hope she pulls through!!
I know tell me about it everytime I come home from work theres something different, no idea what's happening ‍ - just wants some attention I guess

T just cant decide if it wants to live or die... I hope it does come out of the molt but not holding my breath.

On another positive note my B Albiceps also molted yesterday not that theres any size difference... I'm assuming my H.Mac has aswell but I only see its front legs lately.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I wonder if it would be in the t's best interest if you flip it over? I'm NOT suggesting it, only curious because I have seen other people post they did this with Ts molting upright. I wonder if it would be less stressful since it has already been kind of a mess lately.

I surely hope it pulls through.

DanJ

Arachnopeon
I wonder if it would be in the t's best interest if you flip it over? I'm NOT suggesting it, only curious because I have seen other people post they did this with Ts molting upright. I wonder if it would be less stressful since it has already been kind of a mess lately.

I surely hope it pulls through.
I'd assume the T just didnt have the strength to flip over to molt, but I am going to leave it for the time being and hope for the best.

I'll see in about 8 hours (I assume that's a reasonable amount of time if it should be shorter or longer can someone point me in the right direction?) and if there is no progress that will be the only option otherwise it's more than likely death.

Update again. T is still alive but wont make it, was expected. I tried my best to free it, everything was out except for its legs, my guess I intervened to late and the exo had already hardened. - even though I dont know how much longer it would of lived if it was successful. :(

What's the easiest way to put it out of its misery? Freezer apparently? Dont want the poor thing to suffer.

Last edited by a moderator:

krequiem

Arachnopeon
Update again. T is still alive but wont make it, was expected. I tried my best to free it, everything was out except for its legs, my guess I intervened to late and the exo had already hardened. - even though I dont know how much longer it would of lived if it was successful. :(
iir
What's the easiest way to put it out of its misery? Freezer apparently? Dont want the poor thing to suffer.
Sorry the T didn't make it. If the book lungs, fangs, etc... made it out of the exoskeleton you can try to get the spider to its next molt by hand feeding it pre-killed. There's been a person or two who have nursed their spider through the no legs stage until it molted again to recover. There have been threads on the forum about it.

If you don't think that's possible or don't have the time/energy/resources/the spider is just too week/etc... the recommendation for euthanasia is putting it in the fridge first for a while and then the freezer (just on the off chance that tarantulas can feel pain upon freezing).

DanJ

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately that's time I haven't got otherwise I would of, even if I did chances of survival are really low.

I thinks its allready gone now, was debating with myself to nurse it to its next molt but have just put it in the freezer to make sure its 100% gone. All three of my other T's have molted over the past week aswell successfully just this one wasnt ment to be.

Thank you all :embarrassed:

Mbuch

Arachnopeon
Good grief! What a roller coaster!
Sorry for your loss, definitely sounds like it just wasn't long for the world.
D: