My First Pokie!!! Crappy Pics included!!

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advice!! I got my first Pokie today....an LPS rescue. I've seen this same P. striata in this pet shop for a long while. It molted twice since they recieved it...which was God-knows how long ago. I couldn't see it clearly in the container, except for a few pieces of it's past molts. One of those pieces happened to be a warning leg, so I knew it was a Pokie of some sort. It looked to be about 4", so I paid out like $45 for it, and felt pretty good about it. The container that's been it's home forever was prety bad, and it's new home is a palace in comparison.

Please excuse the usual crappy pics. I only have my iPhone to work with at the moment. Once I am able to obtain the use of a better camera, I'll have alot better pics to post. This is my first elaborate enclosure design, and I think it turned out well.

Enclosure Overview:

Overview Closeup:

Hide:

Waterdish:

As should be evident, I watched a $h!t-ton of Robc's enclosure tutorials. The enclosure is a 10 gallon. I thought that the lid would look great with antique cabiet hardware. The backdrop and hide are made of local tree bark, a quarter brick of Forest Moss, and about 12 mini hot-glue sticks. The waterdish is bark and moss around a Tupperware container, and contacting with the backdrop, hide, and the main support log at 2 points each. Substrate is 2 bricks of Eco Earth, and the plants are Philodenderon and Pothos.

Now for the spider: (sorry again for the very poor quality)

Ventral:

Dorsal:

As stated before, I thought it was about 4" when I bought it. I was shocked when I opened the container to find a 6" male P. striata!!! He went in with a little prodding, and after I got two quick pics, he vanished I haven't seen him since.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your first Pokie! :clap: is he sexually mature? If he is, your best bet would be to get him a girlfriend. Best of luck with the little spud! {D

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks all!!! There was a design flaw in the enclosure. :wall: This morning, I went to check on my my new friend, and didn't find him in his enclosure. I looked behind the backdrop, and there he was...wedged between the backdrop and the glass. I inadvertainly left a few holes in between a few of the pieces of bark, and he found them.....and a new place to hide. :wall: I managed to fish him out without destroying the enclosure in the process (which he was pretty pissed about), and patched up the holes in the backdrop.

Two minutes of triple checking the backdrop would have saved over an hour of frustration, and pissing off my new friend. Otherwise, I think the enclosure works well, and will probably continue to use this type of design in the future. Next, I'm gonna redo my rosie's home!!!