My First Escape

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
Escape/teleport. Ephebopus cyanognathus sling made a bolt for it tonight during rehousing. The booger didnt go far and ended up on a piece of cork bark that was going in another enclosure. That made it easy to just kinda pick up the bark and scooch him/her into the new enclosure.

Just kidding.

He/she went in and then immediately back out to the side. After much convincing and one 10 year old threatening to move in with her grandmother, a new home was achieved.

And now for pictures because this species is just incredible.
20190411_205812.jpg
20190411_205924.jpg

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
An update:
The first escape was quickly followed by the second, however, well planned for lol. OBT.
20190411_212740.jpg

Minty

@londontarantulas
I have professional athlete level reflexes when these happen. Glad you got them back.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Always do rehouses with enclosures in a large tub! When i got into hobby i was cocky and rehoused with out this large tub, but after many bolting slings i began to use this technique! Of cours, a B hamorii or G rosea sling this is not necessary, but with fast speicies, this is really good! Another choice is to do it in the bathtub! But for goodness sake, dont forget to put the plug in!!!:angelic:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have professional athlete level reflexes when these happen. Glad you got them back.
Uh oh, now that you’ve posted this when one of your spoods jukes you everyone will be snickering.

@Clareesi with that coloration, it can run, but it definitely can’t hide. Cute little neon sling.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
Uh oh, now that you’ve posted this when one of your spoods jukes you everyone will be snickering.

@Clareesi with that coloration, it can run, but it definitely can’t hide. Cute little neon sling.
Dont let flashy colors fool you! It's what it wants! Hes a obligate pet hole so when he doesnt want to be seen, he can certainly hide lol.

Always do rehouses with enclosures in a large tub! When i got into hobby i was cocky and rehoused with out this large tub, but after many bolting slings i began to use this technique! Of cours, a B hamorii or G rosea sling this is not necessary, but with fast speicies, this is really good! Another choice is to do it in the bathtub! But for goodness sake, dont forget to put the plug in!!!:angelic:

In my head I was like meh, they're just little slings a tub seems excessive. Now I'm convinced they heard my thoughts and were like ha. Ha. Ha. We'll show her. I did do this as far away from things they could run under as possible and had 3 or 4 different catch cups ready to go. More than anything it was eye opening to see just how fast E. cyanognathus could move outside of the burrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

docwade87

Arachnoknight
So glad I got in the habit of doing this right away (using large tub). Really works and places a bit of reassurance in me especially with the crazy fast/defensive ones!

To the OP, I’m glad you got your Ts back! That would be no fun and suck if you didn’t get them back.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
So glad I got in the habit of doing this right away (using large tub). Really works and places a bit of reassurance in me especially with the crazy fast/defensive ones!

To the OP, I’m glad you got your Ts back! That would be no fun and suck if you didn’t get them back.
Yep! The Tupperware container worked well for the obt, he didnt really go much of everywhere.

Oddly the one rehouse last night that I thought was going to be the most likely to bolt ended up being the easiest and that was my p.platyomma. That spider spazzes if I breath too heavily while changing water and then last night just kinda easily went into his new enclosure.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Yep! The Tupperware container worked well for the obt, he didnt really go much of everywhere.

Oddly the one rehouse last night that I thought was going to be the most likely to bolt ended up being the easiest and that was my p.platyomma. That spider spazzes if I breath too heavily while changing water and then last night just kinda easily went into his new enclosure.

I’ve found the same for the most part. The Ts that are supposed to be the biggest pains end up not being...

I just treat all of them the same. That way when these surprises happen, I still have control of situation!

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
I’ve found the same for the most part. The Ts that are supposed to be the biggest pains end up not being...

I just treat all of them the same. That way when these surprises happen, I still have control of situation!
Right! Which is how I basically felt last night. I never felt like the situation was just totally out of control (hence my comfort taking pictures ) .

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
My A. junodi so far made three unsuccessful attempts to escape, always jumpy instead of running back to its burrow. Managed to thwart its escape with fast reflexes and a handy catch cup. Meanwhile, I lost an L2 B. albopilosum which climbed my hand and fell to oblivion. Shame on me not able to catch a slowpoke but no problem catching a pokie or baboon escapee. :embarrassed:

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
Hahaha that was a great read, thank you! We have all been there lol

Yessss we DO want another drain spider :rofl: That thread was pure gold!

Could I also interest you in another shoe H. mac? Haha

I feel like I definitely need to know about drain spider

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh my god! There seems to be many that have been experienced this! One have to be quite about those stories! Some ignorant people may panic! Couldn't find Vanessas story though!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
One of my P. lugardi slings escaped and I found it before I even knew it escaped. o_O What happened was I one of the slings stopped eating so I assumed it was getting ready to molt and was in it's hide. I happened to drop a pen in my trash can (about three feet away from where the P.l. slings are) and was pulling trash out to get it when I noticed a beige colored spider on a plastic grocery bag. I looked closer and thought "that looks like one of my lugardi slings.......WAIT A MINUTE!" Sure enough when I pulled up the "molting" spiders hide - nothing there. It must have bolted while I was feeding and I missed it. I guess it was a lucky day for both of us, as the slings long term survival prospects in my garbage can were not good ;)