MY First Egg Sac!! Yipppeeeeee!!

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
I mated my A. Versicolors back in the latter part of February or early March, I can't recall. But tonight I entered my room to find that my A. Versicolor female, Delilah, has begun her egg sac. I'm beside myself!! {D

Ok, so I know not to offer food from here on out and not to disturb her. I know to keep her warm. When should I take the egg sac? Also, if I try won't she try to eat it? Please offer any advice you might have. Thank you

Snakeguybuffalo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is amazing. I thought versis were supposed to be tough to breed but everyone's got a sac! Congrats, I want a few more, so I'll be in touch if you decide to part with your little blue beauties. Keep the pics coming!

jukahman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WAW!versis are really popping this year...hope that sack would be successful...:) :) :)

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
question

So should I pull this sac after 45 days? I'm concerned about how upset the female will be (because I like my fingers where they are) and I'd like to try and keep as many of these little blue beauties alive as I can. And just so you know I do plan to sell some of them (how many will depend on how many survive) and I'm keeping some for myself as well. I have a male on tour right now on 50/50 loans so that's half of three other sacs I'll have coming. So I want to raise those and breed them together with those from the male I have here. It'll be a breeding festival! LOL! I'll keep the pics coming and keep the thread updated.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At 45 days you will still probably have some nymphs in there...but they are hardy. For goodness sakes don't use your fingers to pull the sac...use nice long tweezers as she won't give it up easily. I use one set to grab the sac and another set to push her away as I literally pull the sac.

Spiders are good moms and she will be upset for a day or two but afer a meal or two she'll forget all about it.

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
thank you

Very cool! I appreciate the tip. I know she won't be happy about my taking the egg sac and I'm reluctant to do it because in the wild the mother will hatch them herself. However, I really do want to ensure that as many of the spiderlings hatch successfully as possible and not because I'll be selling some of them. I just want there to be that many more Versicolors in the world.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool! I appreciate the tip. I know she won't be happy about my taking the egg sac and I'm reluctant to do it because in the wild the mother will hatch them herself. However, I really do want to ensure that as many of the spiderlings hatch successfully as possible and not because I'll be selling some of them. I just want there to be that many more Versicolors in the world.
Versicolors are good moms and you probably won't run into many problems if you leave the sac to hatch with her. I know the temptation to pull the sac is great though...as I just did with one of mine. good luck Jason.

D

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
A relief

Thanks Danny... that makes me feel better. If they are good moms then I may just let them hatch with her and collect them when they hatch. I'm waiting for two sub adult H. Lividium males to molt and when that happens and the egg sacs from them are 45 days old - those I'm definitely going to pull early! No way on this or any other earth do I want to wrangle spiderlings from a tank with a female Lividium in it. I'll take my chances taking the egg sac from that one. But with Avicularia's I may just stick it out unless I see anything weird with the egg sac with aid of a flash light. In that case I will pull it.

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At 45 days you will still probably have some nymphs in there...but they are hardy. For goodness sakes don't use your fingers to pull the sac...use nice long tweezers as she won't give it up easily. I use one set to grab the sac and another set to push her away as I literally pull the sac.

Spiders are good moms and she will be upset for a day or two but afer a meal or two she'll forget all about it.
no offence but he is right because spiders are not that smart..........i wish they were

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
none taken

I take no offense to that... spiders act purely on instinct, I get that. It also saves me from having them escape their enclosures to exact their revenge! :)