My first custom foam background :-)

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow I'm impressed! It went way better than my first arboreal terrarium I was trying to setup with my friend. A lot of people like to pour a bunch of clay, coco-fiber, or sand or some kind of dirt or whatever right on the foam before it dries. Either that or they'll put some of that weird tar stuff then sprinkle the textures onto it. That's how most of the tutorials on youtube do it. I like the way you did yours though, it's less messy, good job!

pokemepokey

Arachnopeon
This is incredible! You sir have inspired me to have a DIY tarantula enclosure. I've been looking for a reason to rehouse my P. Tigrinawesseli anyways.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Incredible job!!! Just a couple questions...

1. What did you use to sculpt the wall?
2. What brand spray foam did you use?
3. Do you have any concerns in regards to the foam being toxic to your T? (Is the foam toxic?)

Thanks!

Peter Parker

Arachnosquire
That is a masterpiece Bro. Surprised the grout stuck to the cellulose even with a bonding agent. I'm going to try it a different way. I'll send you a pic when I'm done.

tpduckwa

Arachnopeon
Incredible job!!! Just a couple questions...

1. What did you use to sculpt the wall?
2. What brand spray foam did you use?
3. Do you have any concerns in regards to the foam being toxic to your T? (Is the foam toxic?)

Thanks!

1. I did not sculpt the wall at all. Just tried to get some interesting textures and shapes as I was spraying the foam.
2. I used "Great Stuff" expanding spray foam
3. I do not believe there will be any ill effects on the T. I allowed it to cure for at least 7-10 days, so there should be no residual fumes. The grout covers the foam completely so I do not think the spider will ever be in direct contact with the foam.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

That is a masterpiece Bro. Surprised the grout stuck to the cellulose even with a bonding agent. I'm going to try it a different way. I'll send you a pic when I'm done.
The grout was difficult to apply. It took several coats to get decent coverage. I used pre-mixed grout without any additional bonding agents.

Bobby B

Arachnopeon
Fossa, i used great stuff spray foam. i let it cure for 3 days or so before i started to cover it with grout.
Your habitat looks really nice! But which spray did you use? "Great Stuff" makes a few different kinds
like "gap filler" "windows" "gaps and crack" Ect.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I have this thread bookmarked. Truly a ridiculously cool work of art. I have the materials to try something far less awesome (paint? i so didn't think of paint...) but I'm afraid to wreck a 5.5gal...

hairyspideyfan

Arachnopeon
... have to agree with everyone else - a truly inspired work of art! :clap: I'm going to have a go with a exo terra tank I've just got really cheap. At the moment, I think it's a little on the big side for my T, but the expanding foam will help bulk out the background. I would never have thought of doing it this way, I probably would have spent too much money buying the polystyrene background for 3 sides, and it wouldn't have looked half as good as this! Thanks for the step-by-step photo's - I really think I can do a decent job of it now!:D

cascade

Arachnopeon
That is awesome.
Well done, I like the cave.

What I know about expanding foam, once it dries and cures then it is fine and once you paint it or apply tile grout, it seals it so it becomes safe for your spider.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow this is excellent. I'd buy a setup that looked like that. It's great! But what if the T's doesn't like the hide hole all that much ??

Bien

Arachnopeon
I salute you for making an awesome terrarium.. i will make some terrarium but made in cd cases haha >:))

Devil'sRival

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I made one for a gecko I used Drylock waterproof paint right on the foam. I did one white base coat and then tinted the second coat tan. Its another option instead of the grout and paint. I paid a few dollars for three colors of tint from Sherwin Williams. They took it from their machine and put it in coffee cups because I didn't have anything else. Not sure if they'll all do that though.

My biggest regrets are not making it removable and forgetting to tape off when I painted. It would've been a lot easier to do everything and then put in the finished product. For those asking how to shape the foam, use a wire wheel for a drill. Wear safety glasses and gloves. Trust me, that wire hurts at high speeds.

Link to paint:
http://tinyurl.com/q5xhzhd

oddT

Arachnopeon
Definitely

Thanks for sharing this is on my to do list :)