My First Attempt At Breeding: Progress

T

Tarantula

I am mating my male and female Cyriopagopus paganus right now for the first time. The male is walking funny. like almost like a weird dance and it has brought the female out of her den. Is this how it is supposed to happen? His walk is so weird. And then every ince in a while he spazzes out. It is confusing and I cant guage his behavior.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The movements on the males part are to let the female know he is a possible mate, not food. Look for some type of receptive movement in the female. In some species the female drums to let the male know shes receptive. Just keep an eye on the couple. You may have to separate them if the female is not receptive and tries to eat him. The male will run for his life once the mating is over, so be prepared for that too.
Mike

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
is it ok 2 hold the femal also as the male is doing it????Cause i did and i dont know if it will hurt the female or not??

T

Tarantula

So the the weird way the male was wlaking may have been a sign that atleast he was receptive and eager to mate with her?

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did the movements look calculated. If they did then it was a sign of courtship. My male redknee made several fast vibrations using all of his legs. He then drummed his pedipalps to let the female know exactly where he was. The movements of your spider may be different because it is a different species.
Mike