My first adult T transfer. 6/10, a little disappointed in me

Violins77

Arachnopeon
Before I start, I would like to point out that there was no escape nor harm to the T, hence the 6/10. I definitely should have asked my girlfriend to film the whole thing for your viewing experience.

So, yesterday I got a full grown female B.Hamori for 100$ CAD (about 13 years old). A really good deal if you ask me. The guy sold it with the enclosure, which was a large plastic container (think tupperware), and the plastic was quite milky. While I don't doubt at all this was ok for the T itself, I wanted something more special for my first adult.

So this morning, I went and purchase a proper enclosure, did my substrate mix, hide and etc.

Then comes the transfer. I watched A LOT of transfer videos and read a lot about the whole topic in the last month when I got started in the hobby. So I was quite ready to do this, especially knowing this is a new world "docile" species.

I had my catch cup ready, and decided to do the bath tub with the two enclosure side by side. I had a long paint brush prepared (all plastic and wood, no metal), and proceeded to coax her out. At first she moved in the right direction, but when she reached the wall, she turned around and proceeded to give the brush a threat posture. I coaxed her gently from the abdomen, she moved some more, and then turned around and threat posture again. Finally, I turned the enclosure so that she is on the same side of the adjacent new enclosure, I again coax her, and then this time, she stroke the brush!!! After that, she finally moved to the new enclosure.

Now, I think my mistake here was my approach. I should have cupped her and manually place her in the new enclosure I think.

But also, I must admit I was quite surprises that she would give threat posture, and even more surprises with the bite, especially since I didn't notice her kick hair. I thought Brachypelma Hamori was a species reluctant to bite. Obviously, she was indeed provoked multiple times by the brush, but it still surprised me. I guess all spiders can and will bite when provoked. The "expected temperament" doesn't mean much in the actual situation.

I learned quite a bit from these mistakes, but I will also give me some credits for having the right preparation: I wore gloves, use the bathtub, was supervised, had a catch cup ready, had glasses (no hair in my eyes thank you), had a custom made no metal long brush, and a long "claw" to move stuff in and out of the enclosures. I had no escape, and no harm to anyone including the T except maybe a little more traumatic experience for her that I hoped for, but from what I understand, they don't "remember" these experience, and once it is done, it is done.

All your tips and tricks from this story are welcomed!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Transfers become easy with experience no matter the species. Always best to use a catch cup to transfer. Now that you have done your first, the next should be much easier as you have now realised what you can do better.

Any species can be grumpy, even those beginner 'docile' species.

Last edited:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Like Kezy said you can't just assume a T is docile because of its species, temperament varies quite a bit by individuals.

Cupping them in their enclosure is pretty much the only way I do rehouses/maintenance and I haven't had any issues.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Cup might of gone better, but from what you described you had a T on your hands that *really* didn't want to go. I haven't done a lot of transfers myself, but a cup is my first method if possible ;)

6/10 is being a bit hard on yourself. The same could of happend using a cup, she might of refused to move out of it. In the end she got there safe and sound + nobody got hurt. (Cup method of course does give you the option of just leaving it in the new enclosure and waiting for her to come out on her own accord. )

Also, I think @The Grym Reaper has a pic that says it all about "docile B. hamorii" T's not agreeing with their lot in life.

Also, /hat_off for sharing this. I'm also pretty new to the hobby and transfers. Nice to see I'm not the only one wondering at times how things could be done :p

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just drop a catch cup from above and a piece of cardboard from below, it only takes seconds and reduces risk for urticating setae from my NWs, including this species. No science, no right method. Some specimens, coaxing only agitates them more-- naturally.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
B. hamorii (Genus is capitalised, species lower case, 2x i at the end)
knowing this is a new world "docile" species
But also, I must admit I was quite surprises that she would give threat posture, and even more surprises with the bite, especially since I didn't notice her kick hair. I thought Brachypelma Hamori was a species reluctant to bite.
Also, I think @The Grym Reaper has a pic that says it all about "docile B. hamorii"
Surprise motherlover!

She doesn't even threat pose anymore, she just bites everything, no warning, no hair kicking, just "I'ma stab you with my face daggers" **Stabby McStabface**.

I'm honestly surprised that hasn't done the rounds enough here to for people to know that "general temperament" doesn't mean squat :rofl::dead:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
There's a saying we pilots have that goes a little like this: "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one, and any landing you can use the plane after is a great one."

Now I will attempt to adapt it to rehousings: "Any transfer where someone doesn't get bitten is a good one, and any transfer when the T doesn't escape is a great one." Please feel free to modify this as you all see fit as I'm sure some of you can come up with some pretty great lines.

Violins77

Arachnopeon
@The Grym Reaper Thank you for the proper spelling. I am usually quite picky about stuff, so I like having the "i" dotted!

That hamorii's got attitude... wow! Mine didn't look like that even in threat posture mode. I'll post some pic of her later, she's gorgeous (to my new impressionable eyes)!

There's a saying we pilots have that goes a little like this: "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one, and any landing you can use the plane after is a great one."

Now I will attempt to adapt it to rehousings: "Any transfer where someone doesn't get bitten is a good one, and any transfer when the T doesn't escape is a great one." Please feel free to modify this as you all see fit as I'm sure some of you can come up with some pretty great lines.
That's actually a nice way to think about it! Let's say how I can adapt this to my language... I'm in programming!

CREATE FUNCTION TARANTULA_TRANSFER
DECLARE @Tarantula_status int;
DECLARE @Escaped_Tarantula int;
DECLARE @Tarantula_bite

IF @Escaped_Tarantula = true
IF @Tarantula_bite = true
SET @Tarantula_status = 2
ELSE SET @Tarantula_status = 1
ENDIF
ELSE SET @Tarantula_status = 0
ENDIF

IF Tarantula_status = 2
PRINT "BAD TRANSFER"
IF Tarantula_status = 1
PRINT "GOOD TRANSFER"
ELSE
PRINT "GREAT TRANSFER"
ENDIF
:happy::happy:

Violins77

Arachnopeon
Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
On a more serious note, I think I need some help with the enclosure. Maybe it is too big? I've seen enclosures larger, but the T hasn't move from when it entered is when I transfered it. Will she explore later you think? Here is it...
That size is fine, but if that is not just a fake cactus with soft spines, I would remove it. Hard or sharp objects in an enclosure should be avoided.

Should I post this in the appropriate subforum?
It's fine here, since the topic is related to the rehousing.

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think that looks fine. If the substrate is at all moist, then she may stay there till it dries. I don’t think it’s too big. Ts often take days or even weeks to get used to a new enclosure. They look uncomfortable/scared until they’ve settled in.

Violins77

Arachnopeon
That size is fine, but if that is not just a fake cactus with soft spines, I would remove it. Hard or sharp objects in an enclosure should be avoided.
Alright thank you! Yes, it is indeed a fake cactus with soft rubber spines! I was looking at a rock to put there but even those had to much sharp edges for my taste.

I think that looks fine. If the substrate is at all moist, then she may stay there till it dries. I don’t think it’s too big. Ts often take days or even weeks to get used to a new enclosure. They look uncomfortable/scared until they’ve settled in.
Thank you as well! Actually, I know B.hamorii like it on the drier side, so there is no moisture to the substrate at all. It is also a mix of coco fiber and desert sand (not too much sand). There is just a water dish for humidity and the cage by it's design is well ventilated, so she'll probably be comfortable :) She already explored a bit more since I posted!

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
then this time, she stroke the brush
huh???
I wore gloves
I would recommend against this....first, you are using tools, so your hands shouldn't ever be in the vicinity...second, any glove that can protect against a bite, will significantly hinder your dexterity, making you less precise and more "clumsy".
On a more serious note, I think I need some help with the enclosure. Maybe it is too big? I've seen enclosures larger, but the T hasn't move from when it entered is when I transfered it. Will she explore later you think? Here is it...

Should I post this in the appropriate subforum?
I think the enclosure looks good....over sized enclosures are really only an issue with smaller ts, especially slings...adults are just fine...that said, think its appropriately sized.
I know B.hamorii like it on the drier side, so there is no moisture to the substrate at all.

Keep in mind these are not desert dwellers...while yes, they can and are generally kept bone dry...moisture isn't a real concern...I frequently dampen an area of all my Brachy enclosures...occasionally my hamorii will sit on the damp spot, especially in the winter when its warm and dry (warm from a space heater, not the outside weather...lol).

Violins77

Arachnopeon
Thanks cold blood!

I meant she attempted to bite the brush! It was clearly a bite strike...

The gloves are not meant to protect against a bite, but mostly against the hair. They also somehow make me more confident. They probably do hinder my dexterity a little, but not wearing them would also hinder my dexterity because of additional anxiety.

Duly noted for the damp area, I will overflow the water dish a little next time. Where can I find some info about the natural habitat of Ts? Most article I come across always talk about captivity specimens...

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Thanks cold blood! The gloves are not meant to protect against a bite, but mostly against the hair. They also somehow make me more confident. They probably do hinder my dexterity a little, but not wearing them would also hinder my dexterity because of additional anxiety.

Duly noted for the damp area, I will overflow the water dish a little next time. Where can I find some info about the natural habitat of Ts? Most article I come across always talk about captivity specimens...
If you Google the species name followed by the word "range" or "distribution" you should get some information about what kind of area they live in.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
On a more serious note, I think I need some help with the enclosure. Maybe it is too big? I've seen enclosures larger, but the T hasn't move from when it entered is when I transfered it. Will she explore later you think?
Sholuldn't hurt, I use the size down from that for Elektra but she's not fully grown yet.

The gloves are not meant to protect against a bite, but mostly against the hair.
If I felt the need to bother with gloves then I'd only bother with them when working with a species whose hairs I know cause a bad reaction.

Lasiodora/Acanthoscurria/Phormictopus hairs are the only species with urticating setae that irritate me so far and its nothing that can't be fixed by washing the affected areas.