my Fireleg has a hollow leg...

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man, can this guy put it away. I'm used to scorps, but the appetite on my new 4.5" boehmei is amazing to me. Maybe it's cause it wasn't as well-fed at the pet shop, and that it molted the day I got it so it didn't eat for a week after that, but since it hardened from its molt last week, I have been giving it a cricket or two nearly every night and he hasn't turned one down yet. Ate a pinky two nights ago and another two crix last night, two more tonight. He's starting to look more like a she now that it's fattening up (I'll post some pics when I have time). I know that's probably too much to feed and I will scale it back, but man, what an appetite.

Is this species known to be a particularly big eater? CAN you overfeed, or will a T refuse food when full? If you have a boehmei or similar species, what is your feeding regimen?

Thanks,
John

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it is impossible to overfeed a tarantula they will refure food when they are full

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. boehmei tend to be agressive with food, too. It could be a misperception, but they seem somewhat more that way than the other brachys. They grow fast too; I bought a 1.3" female about two and a half years ago, and she's a good 5" now. As for food, my larger ones get a couple of big roaches per week, but they certainly don't need that much.

Steve

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just keep in mind that slings can't necessarily be "overfed" but if given all the food they'll take their butt's get HUGE which can lead to a rupture during a molt causing death to the t

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by da_illest
just keep in mind that slings can't necessarily be "overfed" but if given all the food they'll take their butt's get HUGE which can lead to a rupture during a molt causing death to the t
I've heard that too, but it's pure conjecture. I've never had an abdomen rupture in a molt, big or not. Rupture from a fall is a different matter, but then that happens with small abdomens too. If the cage height is where it should be, the mass of the spider is immaterial.

Steve

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by BigBadConrad
Is this species known to be a particularly big eater? If you have a boehmei or similar species, what is your feeding regimen?
Both T's of my B. boehmei species are great eaters. As far as I noticed they would eat as much as I can give them until they are full :)
But I decided to give them three or four big crickets a week. I think it is enough.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Originally posted by defour
My B. boehmei tend to be agressive with food, too. It could be a misperception, but they seem somewhat more that way than the other brachys. They grow fast too; I bought a 1.3" female about two and a half years ago, and she's a good 5" now. As for food, my larger ones get a couple of big roaches per week, but they certainly don't need that much.

Steve

Dang....wonder whats wrong with my boehmei...its scared of live food. I have to kill everything it eats!!!! I have a whimp Tarantula:eek:

Michelle

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by da_illest
I don’t believe a t can spontaneously rupture. A FALL could though. If you are following the basic care “rules” this type of fall can not happen.