My deathstalker won’t eat.

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone,

I bought this little deathstalker 2nd of august last year, so i got her for almost 14 months now. Problem is she never wants to eat. During the 14 months that i’ve had her, she has eaten no more than 3 crickets. That’s it. She has never molted as far as i know and she never grew. She was always this big so she didnt eat the sheds i guess. I have over 30 other desert scorpions including 4 other deathstalkers and they all eat at least monthly, apart from this one. She is actually the very first arachnid that i ever got, so she’s special to me. Can anyone help me out? My friends just tell me to not worry since she looks fat so she’s not starving and she looks visually normal and healthy.

Not growing or (as far i know) shedding in a year is not possible right? 3 crickets can’t be normal. It sounds way too low even for desert scorpion standards. Any advice or tips are welcome.

Thank you

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Sounds like you have a mature male. Can you post a picture.

As far as it not eating. Theres nothing wrong. That's normal

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
Sounds like you have a mature male. Can you post a picture.

As far as it not eating. Theres nothing wrong. That's normal
So no shed or visible growth in a year is normal? Eating 3 crickets in over a year is also normal? The seller at the fair gave me a male and a female, but the male died for unknown reasons after about 5 months. The male also never wanted to eat a lot. Maybe 2 crickets in those 5 months. That’s also exactly why im scared for this girl. I dont to find her dead out of nowhere.

Attachments

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
This is an immature specimen. Its very fat so if its not eating it wants to molt. What temps are u keeping it at? Temps must be upper 80s to lower 90s

If it's not molting. Eating its probably kept too cold

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
And are you confident the seller knew they were male and female? Its not very easy to accurately sex LQs as juveniles

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
And are you confident the seller knew they were male and female? Its not very easy to accurately sex LQs as juveniles
Not really, the boxes had a male and female sign on them. Im not good at sexing myself so i believed him. He offered a male and female together to me for €18, so he came over like he knew what he was doing, but im really not sure what gender it is.

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
This is an immature specimen. Its very fat so if its not eating it wants to molt. What temps are u keeping it at? Temps must be upper 80s to lower 90s

If it's not molting. Eating its probably kept too cold
I have a room full of animals with a constant temperature of around 75F. My scorpion shelf is right next to the 2 heat lamps so they would be around 80F i think? My 4 other deathstalkers are eating fine tho. I also have like 30 other scorpions doing just fine. You think keeping her (or him) warmer could be the solution?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
It could be but if everything else you have is living. Growing and eating fine. It could just be a lemon of a specimen... but u also said your other LQ dies as well.

They come.from.egypt so temps there are MUUUCH warmer

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
It could be but if everything else you have is living. Growing and eating fine. It could just be a lemon of a specimen... but u also said your other LQ dies as well.

They come.from.egypt so temps there are MUUUCH warmer
Yes my 2nd LQ of the same size died. But, I also have an adult breeding couple, tho unsuccesful in breeding, and 2 scorplings. Im scared of overheating/dehydration if i keep them warmer. If i give them a bottle cup with water then the next day i find a dry cup completely filled with sand or knocked over. They really dont appreciate water like at all.

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
I have a lot of tarantulas and they are so much easier than scorpions. Theyrs smart and design their own stuff etc. With scorpions im worried everyday that i find them dead because of something stupid at the next check up. Warmth, enclosure + setup, feeding intervals, leaving them alone because of stress, hydration. Everything needs to be perfect

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Scorpions tend to patrol their tanks at night, so if the water dish is knocked over then they likely tried walking over it and flipped it. I would suggest mostly burying water dishes so they don't flip once they stand on one side. The dishes will still fill with sand if they kick sand into it while walking over it, but at least you know that they knew there was water available. It's possible they drank some before filling it with sand, or otherwise they just weren't thirsty, either way you know you aren't going to end up with a dehydrated scorpion. There's even less of a chance with a desert species like LQ. I think as long as you give them the option of water once every couple of weeks they should be good, most people don't give them any water at all.