My Custom Enclosures "DIY"

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
8x8x16 inches, 3/16 acrylic plexiglass

3x3x7 inches, 1/8 acrylic plexiglass

My finished products with the exception of one missing hasp!

TaylorC

Arachnopeon
Wow very impressive. Nice work. Do you cut your own plexi or have a hardware store cut it for you? And what binding agent do you use?

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow very impressive. Nice work. Do you cut your own plexi or have a hardware store cut it for you? And what binding agent do you use?
Cut it myself on a table saw, and I used weldon #3. However I'm going to try some Methylene Chloride here soon and see if it makes a difference. The weldon kind of bubbles some times and I heard that the Methylene does not.

Ivan M

Arachnopeon
Looks great, i will be trying my hand at the same thing. Have you tried applying the weldon with a thin but strong brush to join them? Just curious if that may help with the bubbling.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks great, i will be trying my hand at the same thing. Have you tried applying the weldon with a thin but strong brush to join them? Just curious if that may help with the bubbling.
It evaporates so quickly and you only want to get it in your seem, anywhere else and you'll muck up your plexiglass. Then you got to sand it out and buff out the scratches. Not fun. :p

Ivan M

Arachnopeon
It evaporates so quickly and you only want to get it in your seem, anywhere else and you'll muck up your plexiglass. Then you got to sand it out and buff out the scratches. Not fun. :p
Understood, but how exactly are you applying the weldon? Thanks in advance.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Understood, but how exactly are you applying the weldon? Thanks in advance.
It's a special aplicator bottle. It has a 22 gauge needle at the end.

Man you can start a business making those. Those look sharp.
I plan to start sales here in Canada soon. I'll probably keep these ones and start making more once I test out the new glue. It would be more of a hobby and I'd keep my day job. For now. :p

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
You might consider making them available as kits. You supply the parts, we 'weld' them together. It would save us some shipping costs. They would take up much less space in the mail.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You might consider making them available as kits. You supply the parts, we 'weld' them together. It would save us some shipping costs. They would take up much less space in the mail.
They wouldn't come flame polished then. Only hand polished. Doesn't look bad but it's not the same. I don't flame polish until its put together.

The welding isn't that tough but if you mess up you will have an ugly mark. Would I supply the aplicators and the Weldon as well? It would be cheaper all around for both parties however I don't see how practical it would be. But shipping to the states means I'd have a bigger market.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
They wouldn't come flame polished then. Only hand polished. Doesn't look bad but it's not the same. I don't flame polish until its put together.

The welding isn't that tough but if you mess up you will have an ugly mark. Would I supply the applicators and the Weldon as well? It would be cheaper all around for both parties however I don't see how practical it would be. But shipping to the states means I'd have a bigger market.
I don't have a problem with assembling things, but maybe most people would want them ready made. Kits typically don't include glue or applicators. The customer buys them separately. The flame polishing might present a problem for me. I don't own a blow torch.

Ken the Bug Guy offers enclosure kits. That's where I got the idea.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have a problem with assembling things, but maybe most people would want them ready made. Kits typically don't include glue or applicators. The customer buys them separately. The flame polishing might present a problem for me. I don't own a blow torch.

Ken the Bug Guy offers enclosure kits. That's where I got the idea.
See you have to take off the plastic or paper that protects the plexi in order to flame polish. So it's that much more likely to be damaged or scratched when shipping. So I highly doubt that kens are flame polished. His cages are definitely neat and look really easy to put together. I don't agree with his idea on vents, and I personally don't like the orientation of the ventilation holes, but each to their own. I don't have the tools to cut out a tongue and groove like concept yet, however if I do design it, it will not be with a wider base and top, I don't particularly like the look of that. But then again these cages aren't for me are they. :p

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

7 more on the go! Maybe I'll take some pictures as I put them together on Sunday to show you how I go abouts doing it and how easy it is!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great work! These will be nice and roomy for those very big, leggy arboreals.