1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My creepy crawlies!

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf, Aug 11, 2017.

1. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey guys, I'm fairly new to inspect keeping and reptile keeping, so i decided to show you my creepy crawlies!

1x female mantis religiosa
    IMG_20170811_140853.jpg 2x male Sphodromantis viridis(first one got 1 disabled leg) IMG_20170811_141038.jpg IMG_20170811_141307.jpg 4x snails (2x helix aspersa, 2x unknown sp.) IMG_20170811_141735.jpg IMG_20170811_141820.jpg and lastly, a random moth a caught and wanted to share with you guys! IMG_20170811_141525.jpg note : i will be getting more crawlies soon! Probably assassin bugs and more snail species! And sorry for the blurry snail images, they were so small that i couldn't even take a picture of 'em.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Redmont

Redmont Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Urey cool, assasins are fun to work with

3. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnopeon Active Member

The second religiosa male is not M. religiosa, it is Sphodromantis viridis. :)

• Award Award x 1
  4. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

IIII dont think soo... they are not native to greece (?) and also it had molted a today to L8 (adult) so it may seem different.

5. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

You are actually righ :O i just noticed the "white spot"! They are both Sphodromantis viridis! So that means i cant make mantis religiosa with Sphodromantis viridis?

• Award Award x 1
  6. Patherophis

They are not native, they are introduced, but nowadays common and widespread through Greece, I have met them there personally.
    No, You can not. They would just attack and kill each other (and even if they they would not, they can not produce offspring).

7. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

8. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

I just realized btw, my disabled mantis that i didnt show, is a Sphodromantis viridis... I Cant breed her though cause she is diasbled...

9. Patherophis

If I were you, I would look around for some more S. viridis specimens. They are considered much better for captive breeding than M. religiosa. One of their advantages, if i remenber well, is that their oothecae do not need to hibernate to hatch.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Yeah it may take a while to find, a found all my mantids 3 months ago, now i may be able to find oothacaes.

11. Patherophis

I hope You will find some. You are very lucky to live in Greece when it comes to mantids and inverts in general. :)
    For example Rivetina balcanica are really funny to watch.

12. Tenevanica

Tenevanica Arachnodemon Active Member

I just want to say thank you for italicizing the scientific name! You're one of the few that rights those correctly!

And you too @MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Also today i found a dissent sized spider that i might be able to keep, i wish i can. I find insects of different types in my area very often. But most i can't keep or i don't know how..

14. Patherophis

It is natural, isn't it? :) I just have to control myself to not write author and year in every post. :D

15. Patherophis

It should be possible, most of european spiders can be kept. Do You have photo of him? :)

16. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

I think this is the best picture of her

Attached Files:

17. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoangel Active Member