My Chaco Golden Knee Spiderling lost both pedipalps! Help!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Good Lord man! Go to Dunkin Donuts. Ask for an empty (unused) plastic cup and of course the top. Fill halfway with damp, not swampy, substrate. Put the spider in there. Put in a piece of corkbark or something for a hide. Feed weekly. Wait and see what happens. Unless it drops below 65 in your home I wouldn't worry about heat. If it does, maybe keep the cup near your computer (not directly on it) so it can get SOME of the heat that comes off. Goodluck and stop worrying! Take it from me, it wont help the outcome.

My first arachnid was an emperor scorpion. I obsessed about keeping it humid enough and trying to keep it alive. I thought I did everything right. It died during its first molt. Both pedipalps got stuck while he was molting. So, no matter how much you stress about the situation, it probably wont make anything better. Worry is a useless and destructive emotion. What will be will be. Just follow the advice that is given to you and all you can do is wait and see. Good luck!

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Good Lord man! Go to Dunkin Donuts. Ask for an empty (unused) plastic cup and of course the top. Fill halfway with damp, not swampy, substrate. Put the spider in there. Put in a piece of corkbark or something for a hide. Feed weekly. Wait and see what happens. Unless it drops below 65 in your home I wouldn't worry about heat. If it does, maybe keep the cup near your computer (not directly on it) so it can get SOME of the heat that comes off. Goodluck and stop worrying! Take it from me, it wont help the outcome.

My first arachnid was an emperor scorpion. I obsessed about keeping it humid enough and trying to keep it alive. I thought I did everything right. It died during its first molt. Both pedipalps got stuck while he was molting. So, no matter how much you stress about the situation, it probably wont make anything better. Worry is a useless and destructive emotion. What will be will be. Just follow the advice that is given to you and all you can do is wait and see. Good luck!
I've told her this. And explained it in depth. :)
Though it's good to have back up sometimes.
Just remember everyone starts somewhere with their knowledge.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

Based on the pics I posted, does she look to be in premolt?
Based on these photos it's hard to tell. But I honestly don't see any signs of pre-molt. Maybe it's just the pic is small on my phone. :p

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

Fill halfway
Also not necessarily half way. It depends on the size of the T. I discussed this also. :) Just pointing this out because being vague with someone who doesn't have much knowledge on the subject could be confusing.

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
I put her back in the plastic container I bought her in.. She wasn't too happy about me moving her out of her cubby hole she had made in the larger enclosure, 'really mom? I'm moving AGAIN!'... She put her body halfway in the dirt with her butt sticking out inside the container.. LOL! And thank you for the advice... I am sure I tried to do too much while trying to take care of her 'perfectly'.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I've told her this. And explained it in depth. :)
Though it's good to have back up sometimes.
Just remember everyone starts somewhere with their knowledge.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

Based on these photos it's hard to tell. But I honestly don't see any signs of pre-molt. Maybe it's just the pic is small on my phone. :p

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

Also not necessarily half way. It depends on the size of the T. I discussed this also. :) Just pointing this out because being vague with someone who doesn't have much knowledge on the subject could be confusing.
I can tell you from experience, I can be a perfectionist and being to precise will also cause stress with a newbie :). You tell me it needs to be 2" and I will measure that tank everyday!

Last edited:

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
It does depend but generally IMO is a good idea. It gives any T (size appropriate) enough room to burrow or to build upward. Many factors play but I GUARANTEE if you filled it up halfway it will have very little no affect on the out come. If it's too big for the cup (which this one is not) whether you have a little substrate or a lot of substrate wont make much of a difference. Granted it will have a little more ground space the more you put in.
Being to precise will also cause stress with a newbie :).
So what if the container (just example) Is 5"w x 27"h inches and you fill it halfway. You are saying that's safe for a terrestrial tarantula like hers? No it's not. No matter the size of the T (if it is terrestrial) it's best to fill the container until it can touch both the top of the container and the substrate at the same time. It's terrestrial, not arboreal. A fall could hurt it tremendously.This rule of thumb I don't think is too much that it will stress a newbie :p

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 02:24 PM ----------

I put her back in the plastic container I bought her in.. She wasn't too happy about me moving her out of her cubby hole she had made in the larger enclosure, 'really mom? I'm moving AGAIN!'... She put her body halfway in the dirt with her butt sticking out inside the container.. LOL! And thank you for the advice... I am sure I tried to do too much while trying to take care of her 'perfectly'.
This happens a lot with new owners, I myself used to be like that. Don't feel bad, most people do it. Heck, I even used a heat lamp when I started out! Which is a big no no! But with the help of research on these boards and the TKG I fixed it. :) Now I have over a hundred healthy T's.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
As for eating, wait a week and then offer a pre-killed cricket right in front of her/it. My T cupreous, Morado, lost all four front legs (L1/L2 on both sides) and palps. I fed him weekly for 6 weeks with pre-kills, and he molted into a perfectly normal spider. He's molted since then, no problems.

Small space is better when they are smaller, truly.

Good luck,

Marga

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
So what if the container (just example) Is 5"w x 27"h inches and you fill it halfway. You are saying that's safe for a terrestrial tarantula like hers? No it's not. No matter the size of the T (if it is terrestrial) it's best to fill the container until it can touch both the top of the container and the substrate at the same time. It's terrestrial, not arboreal. A fall could hurt it tremendously.This rule of thumb I don't think is too much that it will stress a newbie :p

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 02:24 PM ----------

This happens a lot with new owners, I myself used to be like that. Don't feel bad, most people do it. Heck, I even used a heat lamp when I started out! Which is a big no no! But with the help of research on these boards and the TKG I fixed it. :) Now I have over a hundred healthy T's.
Go to Dunkin donuts and find me a 5" by 27" tall container... I didn't say to do this with any container. I clearly said with a D&D's cup. Get a medium cup. Fill halfway. Baby T will be fine. Find me information otherwise...

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 04:43 PM ----------

27" is almost 2 and half feet. That's a big cup of coffee.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
My point was depending on where she decides to get the enclosure it could be. I wasn't saying that it would be from dunkin donuts or something. Jeeze.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

Go to Dunkin donuts and find me a 5" by 27" tall container... I didn't say to do this with any container. I clearly said with a D&D's cup. Get a medium cup. Fill halfway. Baby T will be fine. Find me information otherwise...

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 04:43 PM ----------

27" is almost 2 and half feet. That's a big cup of coffee.
If you knoticed I said "for example". I never said a container from DD. I was non specific saying a container. Not that container. I was noting being specific with whatever advice you give to a person. Not a two feet tall cup of coffee.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

also, I'm not being snippy just FYI :p

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I guess I was confused by this statement.
So what if the container (just example) Is 5"w x 27"h inches and you fill it halfway. You are saying that's safe for a terrestrial tarantula like hers? No it's not.
I'm not arguing that your terrestrial T should be able to touch the top of the enclosure while the opposite back leg can touch the floor. It's just not practical with a .5" baby T.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 05:29 PM ----------

All I said was get a D&D cup and fill it up halfway and the T will be safe. Then, you started "correcting" me. Not being snippy, just fyi :p

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I guess I was confused by this statement.

I'm not arguing that your terrestrial T should be able to touch the top of the enclosure while the opposite back leg can touch the floor. It's just not practical with a .5" baby T.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 05:29 PM ----------

All I said was get a D&D cup and fill it up halfway and the T will be safe. Then, you started "correcting" me. Not being snippy, just fyi :p
Wasn't trying to. I guess I come off that way sometimes lol
Regardless, at least that's settled.

Anywho.... to the OP: How big is your little bugger anyways?

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
Not quite sure how big EXACTLY... I want to say she is at least an inch big. If not- then VERY close to an inch. The seller wasn't very specific when I bought her and I feel bad I didn't ask more questions. I asked what species he had would be best for a beginner spider and what it felt like to be bitten... stupid things instead of important. I know now tho... I don't even know if it is a girl or not. I know the species and it is captive bred... that is all I learned really from the dealer at the repticon. Like I said, he told me that the 18 dollar t's had not molted yet and the 20 dollar t's had. She hadn't molted yet. When can I pick her up BTW? I know one person said that they never get used to it. And I haven't been able to find out if she is old world or new world species... I think she is new world?

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I've used my hands to corral Ts smaller then that just be careful (they can bite at that size too). Grammostola is a New World genus (Wasn't mentioned, I don't think, but Chaco Golden Knee is the common name for the Grammostola pulchripes). The T will never get used to you holding it, spiders are not dogs, hamsters, cats, fish, or any other pet you have owned before. They feel no emotions or pain just stimuli.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I've used my hands to corral Ts smaller then that just be careful (they can bite at that size too). Grammostola is a New World genus (Wasn't mentioned, I don't think, but Chaco Golden Knee is the common name for the Grammostola pulchripes). The T will never get used to you holding it, spiders are not dogs, hamsters, cats, fish, or any other pet you have owned before. They feel no emotions or pain just stimuli.
Not trying to argue! Let me make that clear. :) I think the "pain" subject is something debated. We don't really know what they feel. They react to stimuli. So do we. They wont "Yipe" like a dog though.

Handling is up to you. That's another thing that's debated pretty 50/50. It's true that they wont get "used" to you or "tamed" but G. pulchripes is known for being docile, thus making handling easier if you decide to or need to. That's not to say yours wont decide to be more defensive or kick hairs all the time. Read the signs they give you. My G. rosea is much more calm once outside her enclosure (I have been reading this lately, that T's are usually lest defensive away from their enclosures) and she also acts completely different whether I use my hands to touch her or if I try to persuade her to move using tongs. She's usually quick to turn and throw threat displays if I use tongs. If I use my hands she doesn't come close to a threat display. That's just her and that's subject to change. I personally think the best thing you can do is be patient and read your T's reactions the best you can. You're going to get so addicted, I can already tell!

I started 6 months ago and I swear, if I had the room and the money I would have about 50 right now plus some other arachnids and probably some Chinese mantises. Maybe I can get an ooth and just release the ones I don't want. I think they can be legally released... totally off subject.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 08:36 PM ----------

Also, if yours does decide to bite, being that it's a new worlder, it less likely to actually inject venom (dry bite). Not saying it wont, but it's less likely. New worlders tend to enjoy kicking hairs more often.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Not trying to argue! Let me make that clear. :) I think the "pain" subject is something debated. We don't really know what they feel. They react to stimuli. So do we. They wont "Yipe" like a dog though.
:clown: Let me know when your T is feeling depressed or happy with scientific evidence to pin it down with and I'll give in to the school of thought that they are all feeling beautiful earth children.

Until then read this http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?108108-Do-tarantula-s-have-brains

Handling is up to you. That's another thing that's debated pretty 50/50.
I don't believe the lines are that close. There are plenty of fair-weather non-handlers and very few all-weather non handlers.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
:clown: Let me know when your T is feeling depressed or happy with scientific evidence to pin it down with and I'll give in to the school of thought that they are all feeling beautiful earth children.

Until then read this http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?108108-Do-tarantula-s-have-brains

I don't believe the lines are that close. There are plenty of fair-weather non-handlers and very few all-weather non handlers.
I'm not saying they need antidepressants :tongue: I am saying that they may have enough of a brain to feel "pain", not think about how their day was or how much that sucked later on. Just enough to go ouch. But, I'm not a T so I can't tell yeah for sure. :sarcasm:

Well it's not 50/50 I guess, but there definitely seems to be plenty of both. I handle occasionally, but I have grown bored with it and would rather just watch them through their enclosures. I don't want to accidentally hurt them.

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
Very helpful hints! Thank you! I'm not sure I want to start with the 'cupping' method.. If I decide to hold my T, I think I will touch her abdomen calmly first, so she knows I am there and then put on hand on the ground in front of her and touch her on the back to move her forward on my hand. This is how I have studied friends and pet sho owners pick up their T's. I have held several T's before and have always wanted one of my own! Anyways- I am glad to report that my sling Chaco golden knee ate a cricket last night! I was so happy!!! I know that is a good sign! Especially, since she has no pedipalps at the moment! She borrowed some kind of tiny hole in her plastic container and the cricket had gone down into it when she was out of the hole.. She is now in the hole and all I can see is a cricket leg that is not attached to the cricket! YAY! :laugh: BTW- I noticed that when she eats, there is nothing left of the cricket. Except it's legs sometimes. Is this normal? I thought they just sucked out the liquified juices inside the prey? But, i am not finding left overs when she is done... Hmmmm....

It's funny you should mention that I would probally get hooked, because I already am! My BF went to the pet store last night and bought the Rosehair T they had on sale there. This one looks to be about full grown ( 2" ) He made it seem like he was buying it for him until we got home and he asked me if I liked her after I put her in the enclosure I already had. ( The glass one from the pics before that I had my sling in. Which I think is perfectly fine going on the ratio of leg to land span as was stated earlier on in the board. Now the spider is not leg to land ratio, but it is big enough to where if it fell, it wouldn't be from too tall of a height- It's almost big enough to do the land to ground ratio. ) Anyways- he said he actually got her for me! Surprise!!!! So, now I am the proud owner of 2 T's!!! :biggrin: Any advice on the Rosehair species? I am about to research further on the web...

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Nice! They can only digest liquids but they "chew" the cricket into what is called a bolus. It's probably in the tank or the burrow. They basically build a ball and "drink" the liquid that's squeezed out. They actually have vast amounts of tiny teeth to catch microscopic particles too!

2" inches is definitely not a full grown rose, but it probably has its adult colors and looks more like an adult tarantula now. As far as advice on the rose hair read this: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
This is written by one of the writers of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide.

Last edited: