1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Centipedes

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by LawnShrimp, Nov 20, 2017.

1. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Might as well make a thread for all these 'pedes.
    [​IMG]
    S. hainanum- not sure who, actually. Could be Megaera before she egged up.
    [​IMG]
    Tisiphone eating kiwi. She's lost interest in fruit now. She is always sitting around, never active or moving, but she rarely hides.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Alecto and her kids! She's been a caring mother, and even though she was skinny when she laid eggs and didn't eat for almost three months, she has never attacked her young. Megaera is just as doting but twitchier, so I don't have any pictures of her.
    [​IMG]
    Mutilans eating some kiwi. I have three of these left of a group of six after a strange illness. I attribute it to these being inbred in farms in China; the red-legs are prized as traditional medicine there. I hope these last few survive.
    [​IMG]
    They molted communally without problems. The three's personalities range from nervous to defensive to very docile. The latter is a sweet little thing; you can gently pick her up with forceps and she doesn't struggle. She doesn't show mercy to crickets though.
    [​IMG]
    Langoustine is not the most personable critter. It is nervous and meek, but I still love it. Previously misidentifying it as morsitans, I think this is a S. multidens form; similar pictures from China list it as "S. multidens Chinese Brownback".
    [​IMG]
    It regrew a leg after the molt:
    [​IMG]
    It's got funky molt colors. I'm a little worried about it as after it molted and hardened, it refused food and is burrowed deep. I've dug it up once but it didn't eat and it burrowed back down. Perhaps it is hibernating because of the cold, but I wish it had a full stomach to do so. Should I get a heat mat for this one or put it near a radiator?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. LawnShrimp

[​IMG]
    R. longipes. My first 'pede, she's not as colorful, active, large, or aggressive as others, but she's got a place in my heart all the same.
    [​IMG]
    Jules the "Mint Legs". My very own murderous, hyperactive, lighting-fast blue-legged psycho. Jules makes dehaani seem like millipedes in terms of speed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Possibly the best molt colors I've seen on a centipede.
    Jules has refused kiwi as post-molt food yesterday. Should I try banana or prekilled crickets next? Jules hasn't eaten in several weeks and I don't want it to do the same fasting/hibernation that the multidens did.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing more innocent than a baby hainanum.

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Shampain88

Shampain88 Arachnomental Arachnosupporter

Stunning animals!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nich

Nich Curator of glass boxes Arachnosupporter

The pic of that freshly molted "mint legs" wow! That is insane, just gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lonepanda

Lonepanda Arachnopeon

How long does the mint legs stay that color?

6. LawnShrimp

About an hour; it turned yellow soon and at this moment is a pale brown, about half as dark as it usually is. By tomorrow it should be the usual color, though the shell will still be soft.

7. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Awesome pedes. Thanks for sharing.

8. Svetlana14

Svetlana14 Arachnopeon

These are beautiful animals! I would love to get one someday if my boyfriend would let me. For now I'll just live vicariously through all the lovely pede owners out there like you .

• Like Like x 1
  9. LeFanDesBugs

LeFanDesBugs Arachnobaron Active Member

Paris
    Man how awesome is that! I love your "multidens". Definitely not a cherry red, and multidens seems good in terms of body shape. But it lookss dammmmnnnn good haha
    I like mutilans too; back then I wanted to get some but I was disappointed to hear they only got to around 15cm (right?) which was a bit small for me.
    Can't say about the rest because I have them all muahahhahaaaa. But gr-eat pictures nonetheless. You might have answered the same question in other threads (sorry :troll: ) but what camera do you use?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoangel Active Member

Amazing! Pity I'm only stuck with Azog for the time being :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. LawnShrimp

Nikon D3400 with a 50mm lens. Here's my Flickr if you're interested; it has camera stats on each picture. https://www.flickr.com/photos/157380868@N03/
    It's worth it to get a few. They are small, but older females can get closer to 16.5 cm, at least in China. Despite their size, having a container with as many centipedes in it as you want is great! They sleep in piles and will interact with each other with cute little motions. Some are very docile and good candidates for handling. There are also cool morphs: yellow leg, red leg, green body, yellow body(hypomelanistic). If you get regular morphs, stay away from those mass-reared in farms; this is one centipede that is better to get wild caught.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  12. LeFanDesBugs

Paris
    Really nice looking pictures! Concerning your camera, I would have expected a higher price point. I'm hooked! May be a future purchase.
    I knew about the different morphs. But the thing is, if I had to get one it would be the one you have. And there's a cingulata morph that can get just as large and has the same kind of coloration. I don't know.. I'll get one someday I'm sure anyway xD

• Like Like x 1
  13. LawnShrimp

Anyone know about hibernation? My multidens isn't up yet and my Mint Leg is almost hardened fully and is still refusing fruit and meat.

14. LawnShrimp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scolopendra1989

Scolopendra1989 Arachnosquire

You did a great job with the pictures, it really brought an impressive view of them. They all look vibrant and beautiful, and it looks like you take good care of them. Most of them seem a really ideal weight and seem healthy. Great pics and pedes my dude.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LeFanDesBugs

Paris
    Don't know about hibernation. Any info on the climate in china?

17. watarase jun

watarase jun Arachnopeon Active Member

China
    very beautiful,Asian centipedes really are amazing!

18. watarase jun

watarase jun Arachnopeon Active Member

China
    talking about hibernation ,it seems very risky for centipedes as a lot of Chinese keepers who tried this lost a lot of their centipedes,but i heard that mint legs sometimes hibernate in their native habitat ,but the temperature there rarely goes lower than 7or8 celsius.

19. LawnShrimp

From Top China Travel:
    I think both Mint Leg and hainanum are from mountainous areas, though hainanum can tolerate much lower temperatures.

All my centipedes are kept at around 19 Celsius (66F). I don't use heat mats as they apparently cause a lot of problems, so they are all at room temperature. I'm not trying to hibernate them but if they want to then I can't really stop it. It probably extends their lifespan anyway.

The "Mint Leg" molted and disappeared as soon as it hardened, refusing all forms of food. The multidens popped up this week and was obviously very hungry; I gave it a superworm and a cricket and it devoured both. It disappeared again afterwards but at the moment has its antennae poking out of the substrate. There was weirdly warm weather this week so it may have been temperature or hunger that drove it out.

The plings are active and hungry. I have them all in one jar away from their mother and they still are communal. Collectively, they have eaten most of two superworms and two crickets since separation and have become quite fat.

20. LawnShrimp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    36 plings have been separated from the main group. 15 or so are still living together and seem to be just fine together.
    The second mother, Megaera, had her babies molt to the juvenile stage a few days ago.
    [​IMG]