My Centipede Lost His Legs

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
I just found a centipede in my house, turns out it's an Scolopendra cataracta. But i noticed that he have ~7 legs missing on his left side, will those legs grow back or he will just be like that for the rest of his life? Thank you

Attachments

awiec

Arachnoprince
Invertebrates can regrow lost limbs and you should see them next molt, they might be a bit skinnier than the other legs but eventually as it molts more they will look normal again.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
Invertebrates can regrow lost limbs and you should see them next molt, they might be a bit skinnier than the other legs but eventually as it molts more they will look normal again.
I appreciate your help, thank you

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
All Centipedes can regenerate all legs and fangs, and also partially regenerate antennae. I had a house centipede that regenerated 15 legs in one molt and several Scolopendra that regenerated as well.

You have a beautiful centipede! Although, it looks more like Rhysida or Otostigmus or another species of Scolopendra. A picture of the sides and last pair of legs will help for an identification.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
All Centipedes can regenerate all legs and fangs, and also partially regenerate antennae. I had a house centipede that regenerated 15 legs in one molt and several Scolopendra that regenerated as well.

You have a beautiful centipede! Although, it looks more like Rhysida or Otostigmus or another species of Scolopendra. A picture of the sides and last pair of legs will help for an identification.
I've done some research, it's a Vietnam house centipede (where i live), the only house centipede specie is Scolopendra and based on the colors it's the Scolopendra cataracta

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Hmm...that cephalic plate suggests to me that it isn't a Scolopendra sp.
The cephalic plate on Scolopendra have a slight overlap with the first trunk segment.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
Hmm...that cephalic plate suggests to me that it isn't a Scolopendra sp.
The cephalic plate on Scolopendra have a slight overlap with the first trunk segment.
Mine also have a slight overlap, based on the color and living area, it's an Scolopendra Subspinipes

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
There are likely to be multiple Scolopendrids living in your area - S. subspinipes is merely the most mainstream, so probably the only one mentioned most of the time, thus it would put many under the impression that it's the only one around. I still don't think the cephalic plate has an overlap.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
There are likely to be multiple Scolopendrids living in your area - S. subspinipes is merely the most mainstream, so probably the only one mentioned most of the time, thus it would put many under the impression that it's the only one around. I still don't think the cephalic plate has an overlap.
I've take a good look at him while he's eating, there's a "slight area of his head part overlapped the next section of his body" if that makes sense lol

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It can appear that way while it's feeding, as the cephalic plate moves back and forth. Judging from your pic, there's no overlap.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
A side view always helps. Rounded spiracles with the first greatly exaggerated is a sure sign of Otostigminae, smaller, triangular spiracles indicate Scolopendrinae.

Smelted Duck

Arachnosquire
A side view always helps. Rounded spiracles with the first greatly exaggerated is a sure sign of Otostigminae, smaller, triangular spiracles indicate Scolopendrinae.
He's pretty small so i think i'll need a few month before i can identify him