1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My carnivorous plants.

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by basin79, Mar 29, 2017.

1. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Advertisement
    Just on sunny windowsills in the house. Put them out on warm sunny days for a few hours in summer to catch food too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

The short answer to both is I live in Ireland XD The kitchen windowsill is actually on the cool side for those plants.
    With the tent it never goes above 30 and that's on the hottest days. For when it does get that hot I have an extractor fan that compliments the USB powered circulation fan and the cooling fans on the LEDs. The great thing about the LEDs is they don't get hot at all, just sort of warm.
    The most difficult thing about the tent is maintaining high humidity, even with very low ventilation it dries out fast in there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Windowsill for me as well. I'd like to start putting them outside, but it gets so hot and dry here that I'd be afraid that they'd die out there since I'd have a hard time keeping up with the water.

4. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I'm not growing them yet, I'm just riding along to soak up all the knowledge from you guys before I start. :smuggrin:
    I had a VFT once but it died on me. This was 15 years ago and I want to make sure I get it right this time :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. velvetundergrowth

Follow these rules and you will find VFT's easy:

• Rainwater/distilled water only. Keep very moist but not wet

• When repotting use 1-1-1 peat moss, perlite and sand.

• Keep in full sun as much as possible

• Don't close the traps needlessly

• Cut off the flower stalk before it starts growing tall. Leave the VFT outside in winter, kept a lot drier. This will make the plant come back stronger the next year

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Andrea82

Keeping it outside... Are you sure? It can get as low as -15°C here in winter. Also very wet.

7. velvetundergrowth

-15 is a bit too cold but they can go a couple degrees below freezing. Mine go down to -8 here for a while during winter and do fine so long as they aren't wet.
    The cool period causes the plant to go dormant and is essential to perennial growth. Flytraps that don't get their natural winter chill will grow leggy and weak the next year, and you will probably get lots of malformed traps. The removal of the flower stalk is just as important if you want a long-lived, strong plant :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

People with really happy plants have no trouble when they keep the flower, but I agree that beginners should remove it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. basin79

You can see the nectar on the edge of the leaf. Sneaky buggers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This tiny fly made the fatal mistake of landing on this small sundew leaf.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Random pics.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Black and white versions.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Andrea82

The first b/w picture could be wall art, like cover one wall with it and then have snobbish people over who have no idea what it is but because it is art they go like :pompous: 'hmm yes, quite, what a marvelous piece, quite fetching'
    Which it is, of course, but while they are searching for what the artist might have meant by it, I go like, 'great isn't it, nature?' :smug:
    ... I have a very vivid imagination sometimes...:bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. basin79

Arty farty.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  12. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Yeah, that's always one of the coolest things with CPs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. basin79

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  14. krbshappy71

krbshappy71 Arachnosquire Active Member

I caved and got a VFT, this forum is going to ruin my retirement plans. I'll just sit around eating cat food and watching my plants and pets. I haven't had one of these plants since I was a kid mistakenly feeding it hamburger! Time to redeem myself. Fabulous pictures, by the way, basin49!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Award Award x 1
  15. basin79

Well played.

Bloody hell fire I've aged. 30 years just like that.

And thank you. Much appreciated.

• Award Award x 1
  16. Andrea82

This just made my day :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1