Basin's carnivorous plants

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I am in process of building a fully automated terrarium using an old fridge. I will post pictures when finished (including plants ofc).

Beautiful Dionaea!
I've grown insectivorous plants for years now :) I've grown examples of every carnivorous genus except Styllidium, Aldrovanda, Roridula and perhaps some other ultra-obscure or protocarnivorous plants.
My favorites are the Cephalotus and Heliamphora pitchers, as well as the highland Nepenthes.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Beautiful Dionaea!
I've grown insectivorous plants for years now :) I've grown examples of carnivorous genus known family except Styllidium, Aldrovanda, Roridula and perhaps some other ultra-obscure or protocarnivorous plants.
My favorites are the Cephalotus and Heliamphora pitchers, as well as the highland Nepenthes.
I was hoping to get some pics of my Australian pitcher today but the sun went in.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Beautiful Dionaea!
I've grown insectivorous plants for years now :) I've grown examples of every carnivorous genus except Styllidium, Aldrovanda, Roridula and perhaps some other ultra-obscure or protocarnivorous plants.
Including Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, Genlisea, Byblis, and Utricularia? If so, I'm impressed, particularly on the first two. Do you have pictures? To be clear, not as a test (that would be stupid) but just because I love when people grow funky cps.

@basin79 I really like those doubled photos.

Including Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, Genlisea, Byblis, and Utricularia?

@basin79 I really like those doubled photos.
Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, Byblis and Utricularia are all somewhat commonly grown :) Genlisea less so due to it's traps being difficult to observe but is easy to grow. Drosophyllum, on the other hand is very difficult in my experience.
I've also grown the carnivorous bromeliads Catopsis and Brocchinia, although they are somewhat less exciting than the others.
I'll snap some pics later but my collection is a fraction now of what it was when I was studying horticulture.

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, Byblis and Utricularia are all somewhat commonly grown :) Genlisea less so due to it's traps being difficult to observe but is easy to grow. Drosophyllum, on the other hand is very difficult in my experience.
I've also grown the carnivorous bromeliads Catopsis and Brocchinia, although they are somewhat less exciting than the others.
I'll snap some pics later but my collection is a fraction now of what it was when I was studying horticulture.
Byblis is hard to come by in the US, and most climates here are badly suited to drosophyllum and darlingtonia. Out west it's a bit of a different story, but in many places it's more like "Darlingtonia and Drosophyllum are commonly bought and killed in a few months" lol

Genlisea seems like it's really fun if you put a thin layer of soil over a tank of water so you can see the traps. Utricularia I have not seen super commonly, although one or two species are weedy and just show up all over the place. I'm growing a couple of Orchidioides right now, am hoping to see flowers before I die :p

Wasn't even gonna ask about Brocchinia and Catopsis, but I'm excited you're growing them. Brocchinia in particular looks much more interesting and different under very intense light (I would bet that UV also factors into this).

Last edited:
There are plenty of sources for rarer CP's here in Europe, but mostly I've propagated from seed. Darlingtonia is easy to get here, and I have had little trouble getting it to thrive in my unheated greenhouse. My only gripe is that it is difficult to get "Upright"... Mine almost resembles Sarracenia psitticina.
We have wild Utricularia here, which I have grown, but the tropical ones are quite easy to grow, I'm going to be incorporating some into my upcoming Peripatus viv. They invariably like wet soil and are very prone to drying out fast.
The trick to growing these and Genlisea are to plant them in clear plastic cups, then place those in the regular pot. Now you can observe the root structures when they become slightly potbound :D

That's amazing about the Orchidioides, I have never attempted an epiphitic Pinguicula. Hopefully you will have continued success! A tip I learned over the years is that Pinguiculas are heavy eaters in the wild and will appreciate supplemental insect feedings. They rarely catch anything when grown indoors/under glass so that may be the key to seeing some flowers.

My advise for Drosophyllum and Byblis is to not bother. They are nice plants but need dedicated care and their trappig system isn't as intricate as Drosera. Byblis may even be protocarnivorous, if I remember correctly.

The bromeliads I no longer have, they lived with my orchids and palms and although conditions seemed close to perfect I never got anywhere with them :( I don't think I'll be trying them again as they are pretty plain compared to other CPs, and less attractive than most other broms.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That's amazing about the Orchidioides, I have never attempted an epiphitic Pinguicula. Hopefully you will have continued success! A tip I learned over the years is that Pinguiculas are heavy eaters in the wild and will appreciate supplemental insect feedings. They rarely catch anything when grown indoors/under glass so that may be the key to seeing some flowers.
I meant Utricularis, I fertilize every 2-4 weeks at 50ppm 20-20-10 fert because I have no idea what food they're getting in the substrate. I've been tempted to cut back lately, because my U. quelchii isn't producing many bladders even though it's growing like a weed, and it's also having its short leaves overtaken by some liverwort.

I meant Utricularis, I fertilize every 2-4 weeks at 50ppm 20-20-10 fert
My bad, thought you meant the Butterwort (which I also mistakenly called epiphitic...doh!).
I have 0 experience feeding Utrics, I have grown U. vulgaris is a container like I mentioned for a couple of years and while it has never "exploded" it seems to be happy enough. The other species I kept was in a tub bog garden and spread nicely so I reckon it got what it needed from the soil. I'm sure the aquatic species are much more straightforward to feed...

Do you only grow outdoors or do you have a glasshouse/conservatory?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Do you only grow outdoors or do you have a glasshouse/conservatory?
Both of those would be a dream. I do windowsill supplemented with a light (was two, will have to replace a bulb before going home I guess) and a terrarium with led lighting. As above, I'm building an automated terrarium from an old refrigerator. Tonight my friend and I are going to try drilling holes in it without bricking the fridge because thay would be really terrible. I don't have a place to put a garden or greenhouse. Not sure if a terrarium maybe counts as a glasshouse?

How do you grow, and @basin79 @Andrea82 @pannaking22 how do y'all grow?

How do you grow?
My dad restores old houses and turned an old conservatory into a Victorian style glasshouse. In there I grow a couple of palms, bananas, cycads and passiflora etc, as well as the temperate carnivores. Average temperature in there is 20-22°c.

I grow the Heliamphora, lowland Neps and Cephs on the kitchen windowsill.

Finally, I have an "indoor growroom" which is really just a large walk-in tent with a reflective interior and LED grow lights. This is where I propagate and keep my true tropicals such as coconut, orchids, highland Neps etc. Im also planning on keeping inverts in here such as Amblypygi.

I HIGHLY reccomend the 3rd one. You can get a good size Black Orchid grow tent on eBay for around $100. I got my MarsHydro 600w reflector growlight for $150 on sale. That combo will allow you to have an ensuite-sized jungle in the corner of your bedroom :D

schmiggle

Arachnoking
My dad restores old houses and turned an old conservatory into a Victorian style glasshouse
Jealous...

How do you grow lowland neps and Heliamphora on the same windowsill? My Heliamphora suffer when they don't drop down to pretty cool temps at night.
Finally, I have an "indoor growroom" which is really just a large walk-in tent with a reflective interior and LED grow lights. This is where I propagate and keep my true tropicals such as coconut, orchids, highland Neps etc. Im also planning on keeping inverts in here such as Amblypygi.
How do you keep this cool? I picked up the fridge specifically because it cools itself.