Basin's carnivorous plants

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here are some old photos of a few pitcher plant flowers. We have a lot of them on the boggy inlet side of the lake near my house. I'll find a few VFT every once in a while but not as many as the PP. Mom used to keep a "Boggy" flowerbed on the edge of her yard with water lilies, VFTs and pitcher plants. It didn't look like much during the winter but in the spring and summer it was impressive.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I always love that carnivorous plants make flowers. They've really pulled one over on those poor bugs.

Very pretty flowers.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I always love that carnivorous plants make flowers. They've really pulled one over on those poor bugs.

Very pretty flowers.
They only produce flowers to breed. They make them grow tall away from the dangerous parts so the pollinators can do their job safely.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
They only produce flowers to breed. They make them grow tall away from the dangerous parts so the pollinators can do their job safely.
Yes, I know. That's what's great about it. They snack on bugs the whole growing season, then when it's time to reproduce, the bugs propagate their own predators. The plants are careful to be nice to tge bugs just that once for the payoff down the road, and the bugs will never know what hit them.

It would be interesting to see how much the insects that pollinate cp's and their primary prey overlap.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Very nice! I'm jealous of that cephalotus--mine is still tiny and has no adult pitchers.

Have you ever considered darlingtonia? They're generally known to be very, very hard, but it's supposed to be a climate problem, and Lancashire should have a perfect climate for them. Same with highland nepenthes.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Very nice! I'm jealous of that cephalotus--mine is still tiny and has no adult pitchers.

Have you ever considered darlingtonia? They're generally known to be very, very hard, but it's supposed to be a climate problem, and Lancashire should have a perfect climate for them. Same with highland nepenthes.
I haven't know. I don't really like the look of them to be honest.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Well done! One of these days I'd like to grow CP's from seed, but I'm always frightened by how tiny the plants are, and how fragile I perceive them to be.