My budgie started laying eggs?

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
She was acting basically normally, then I found an egg in the bottom of her cage. It was very soft, and very broken, but she laid another one with a stronger shell two days later. So far, all of them have been broken, I think because she's laying them from her perch. We have given her an egg box to nest in if she wants to, but she's been ignoring it, preferring her coconut, which is hanging upside down on a string.
She sits on top of it, under it, and beside it. She's spending her time very quiet,and very fluffy. She even let me stroke her back the other day, when normally she bites anyone who goes close to her.
Her poos are massive, and quite sloppy.
Should I just leave her be, or keep her warm, or what?
We took her to the vet last time we noticed she was breathing weirdly, and the verdict was that she was fat, so now she has denamarin once a day. We are also giving her calcium.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
From experience long ago, you can expect personality changes and even severe mood swings in females that are laying. Other than that, I'm clueless.

vessz

Arachnopeon
Either you have nothing to worry about or you have a pretty serious problem. Parrots of all sizes get very grumpy when there's a lot of hormones, like when it's mating and egg laying season. Laying eggs takes a lot of energy, but it shouldn't leave them weak. When a hen is weak and has large droppings (a lot of other symptoms as well) she could be egg bound which is quite serious. It's basically when a bird produces an egg it can't lay, often caused by unfitness.
I recommend you take her to the vet and get an x-ray to be sure or at least to get a vet's opinion, cause yknow... I'm not a professional. I hope she's fine <3

mickiem

Arachnoprince
It sound like eggs are being produced so I doubt she is egg bound. Is she continuing to lay? Egg laying is often accompanied by loose stools. I would still take her to an avian vet, keep up with the calcium, give her a vitamin supplement with includes D3 and make sure she is also warm. Why did they feel it was necessary to give her Denamarin? Keep us posted and good luck.

vessz

Arachnopeon
Why did they feel it was necessary to give her Denamarin
Probably to prevent or treat fatty liver disease. I don’t know though.
Even if she can pass several before that doesn’t mean she’s not egg bound. When hens are egg bound due to obesity it’s cause of lack of muscles. If she’s weak with lack of muscles she’ll have a very hard time laying. The more eggs she lays, the weaker she gets and the harder it gets

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Probably to prevent or treat fatty liver disease. I don’t know though.
Even if she can pass several before that doesn’t mean she’s not egg bound. When hens are egg bound due to obesity it’s cause of lack of muscles. If she’s weak with lack of muscles she’ll have a very hard time laying. The more eggs she lays, the weaker she gets and the harder it gets
I know why denamarin is typically prescribed; the OP didn't suggest what types of testing or other symptoms the budgie might have.

To the OP, best wishes for your pet.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yes, at the moment she's laying about every four or five days.
I never bred budgies, but I bred cockatiels and larger parrots (amazons, cockatoos, African grays, macaws). In my experience, the first egg was sometimes soft but future eggs were hard shelled. Without a male present, we would removed the eggs as they were laid and it would stop after a few weeks. 4-5 days in between eggs seems a long time for Budgies. Even Cockatiels were 2-3 days. Larger parrots was 3-5 days. You might try covering the back of the cage, drape something over it to keep in heat. I always used heat lamps but any incandescent bulb would work. But definitely take her to a vet who specializes in birds as soon as you can. If they deem her healthy,
you might add a male and let
nature take its course. Its fun to have babies and you can make them very tame.