My Blue Death-Feigning Beetles mating behavior

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8B7BF4F1-4EAE-4BC1-9B13-569187EAED53.jpeg Hi all! I have been keeping Blue Death-Feigning Beetles for a while, and like many of you, have seen a number of beetle larvae in the enclosure, (that is the easy part) but never had any pupate. I learned from posts here on AB by @Dean Rider how to get the larvae to pupate
(http://arachnoboards.com/threads/inducing-bdfb-to-pupate.280289/page-2#post-2822520)

so now I am going to attempt to get some larvae to pupate and raise them to adulthood. I have a 20-gallon vivarium with a few inches of play sand. Approximately 1/3 of the substrate has some coco fiber, organic compost, and crushed hardwood leaves mixed in. There are rocks, cholla skeletons, and sun bleached sagebrush branches as climbing surfaces. I feed dead crickets, dried river shrimp, fish flood flakes, sweet potato, carrots, DIY beetle jelly, etc. I have a 70-watt daylight bulb on for about 12 hours per day. I dampen the sand on the side with the substrate amendments a little every week or so. As of now, the beetles have only been in this new setup for a couple of weeks. I believe I have 2.3 BDFBs. In the photo above, you can clearly discern the male from the female.

If you would like to see the livestream where I released the beetles into the enclosure and discussed the project in more detail, it is here:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Looks great, I hope you are successful! We need more breeders trying to cultivate our native species, because if things keep going the way they are (urban development, increased pollution), captive populations of favorites like BDFBs may be all that's left. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AA6F1D86-126C-4607-9A6C-46DD8549F7D4.jpeg
Quite a few larvae have shown up and are growing...soon comes the challenging part...inducing pupation!

Last edited: