My (big) baby (NO 56k!)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've tried Monitors, I've tried Blue Tongue Skinks, I've tried Iguanas, I've tried Leopard Geckos, and I've even tried Rhino Iguanas.

But nothing compares to the coolness of this guy. He's very curious, very tame, and just all around fun.

(Obviously, some of the pictures aren't the lizard. The black rat is one of my breeders and my personal favorite -- Very tame and almost sweet. The baby brown headed one is one of the lucky survivors. I've decided to let her grow up.)
Edit: Thought I'd add: He's really not as obese as he looks. He just had a big meal (It's amazing how much food he'll put down if I really let him). Give him a few days and he'll be considerably more skinny.

**Pictures removed, hit bandwidth limit. Imagine that.

Last edited:

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice looking tegu and pics
you werent joking about 56kers took long enough with broadband

john

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! That tegu is gorgeous. I have thought about getting one, but just haven't gone through with it yet. I didn't realize that they would eat rats.

Jon

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That tegu is gorgeous and looks very healthy. I would like to know why you like them over monitors or iguanas. I have thought about getting a tegu but I couldn't find one so I got a savannah instead.

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice, lots of fat stored in the tail as well, cool ;)

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What kind of tegu is that? I am thinking of picking up a blue tegu here in Berkeley...

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's an Argentine Black and White Tegu. From what I've read, blues are just a subspecies of these. They have a lot more white in them. And a lot of people say they don't need any fruit (Black and whites and reds need fruit in their diet, if you can actually get them to eat it..)

The only reason I say I prefer these to monitors is because the only monitors I've owned have always been vicious, tail whipping pricks.

This guy is *very* tame, even if I go a month without handling him (Aside from feeding). He has *never* attempted to bite me except the day after I brought home. And you can just tell they aren't dumb lizards, there's definitely something going on up there.

One neat story: He had escaped one day and I hadn't even noticed (Occasionally, he burries himself in his mulch for the night). So that night, at around 4:30, I rolled over and grabbed another pillow. Suddenly, this pillow started to move under my head. The damned thing had crawled up ON my bed and into a pillow case.

The story that really convinced me to purchase one was from Burt Langerwolf's site, Agama International.

http://www.agamainternational.com/merianae.shtml

(If you're looking for a good online place to purchase one, talk to Burt Langerwolf or Ron St. Pierre from www.bluetegu.com)

www.bluetegu.com
www.agamainternational.com

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tegus are great.
I have a 6 year old male red, Leroy, and I have never seen a more intelligent group of lizards as the tegus.
He responds to his name, is potty trained, understands a few commands, such as "no" and "go to your room", and "dinner".
I used to obdience train dogs, and employed alot of the same techniques to train Leroy.
I have heard that in Argentina they will saunter right up to people picnicing and "beg" for food.
Kind of sad, especially since their only predator is man, who uses their skins for boots.
I would also recommend this lizard over all others.