my Ball Python eats like a horse, FINALLY

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I think it was Wade that suggested the chicken broth. I'm not sure who suggested the putting the prey in front of the cave, but it WORKED!

Othello has those plastic composite caves, that look like boulders. I thought, "Hmm. He's scared to death of being in the open, so why not put one of his caves in the feeding tank!"

So, I did. I then put the prey just at the entrance, and turned the lights out, and leave him in there, all night. Last night, he finally ate a appropriately sized prey item, a largish rat. (after only taking very small rats) WOO-HOO!

Thanks everyone!! *huge hugs* He's eaten three feedings in a row,,:)
Peace,
Gillian
)0(

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Thats good to hear:)

So far, the only real problem I've had with mine is bad sheds.
She eats like a pig:D

And welcome back=D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got the broth trick from VIP (Dave and Tracey Barker). It worked great getting hatchling burms to feed back when I was breeding them. Glad it helped!

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
marcie..
Thanks..:) As for bad sheds? All three of my snakes get a once weekly soak in water, for an hour. I have three different sized Rubbermaids, as I have an adult Ball, a young adult Red Tail, and a not even one year old Corn Snake.

Of course, it goes without saying that, I sit right by them, the entire time, and have just enough water in there for them to soak, NOT drown.

Wade,
Its a great trick..:)
Peace,
Gillian
)0(

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Here is a shot of "Lucy"
She bit the wrong end of the mouse and I had to get it out of her mouth, YUCK!

Last edited:

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just a suggestion.....

Ive found that almost all my animals besides amphips and inverts and desert snakes, like carefresh as a bedding. It comes in great big green bags full of a recycled newspaper product that works great with my ball python. All you really need is 1/2 an inch, so that should last 20 cleanings or more.
Also, if you dont already, try misting your ball twice a day a little bit. They come from a semi tropical environment, and ive noticed the humidity helps their skin. :)

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use moltch, and is it ok if I use just a regular 50w lamp,

Sam,

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Sam, a 50 watt bulb may work for you. The wattage of the bulb
will depend on your conditions. Set it up and check the temperature inside the cage. It needs to be at least 90F
for proper digestion of food.

What kind of mulch do you use?

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just mulch, our good and respected pet store uses the same thing so I thik it's ok,

Sam,

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Just because the pet store uses it does not make it safe.
Do you know what type of wood its made from?

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's this store here in Az,(pets inc.) it's one of the best stores in Az. It's not a petco or a petsmart or those stores that don't care about there animals. This is a highly respected store that knows what there doing. If they use this mulch on there animals and there animals are fat and 100% healthy, I think there doing something right.

And no I don't know what type of wood it's made from.

Sam,