My balfouri freaked me out...

Matoutou

Tarantula enthusiast
My adult female Monocentropus balfouri needed deeper substrate. She was in a nice enough enclosure, but the thin layer of coco fiber she was on made it impossible for her to burrow. She was clearly upset and that made me uncomfortable. I made her a new home, bigger, plenty of anchoring points for webbing and deep substrate.

I always knew she was fast. When I received her, she got me by surprise and ran out the bathtub. I had to chase her around the bathroom for a good 3 minutes before I could scoop her into the catch cup. She was fast. Faster than any tarantula I had ever seen.

Knowing that, I was a bit anxious to rehouse her today. I put the new enclosure in the bathtub, and started gently touching her abdomen with the paint brush. Nothing. She didn't move. That was odd, but I was relieved. After a while, all my apprehensions were gone, and I just kept caressing her hoping she would gently walk into her new home. Suddenly... SHE WENT CRAZY.

I've never seen anything like that ever before. She literally teleported. Boom. I was lucky she ended right into her new water dish. If she had gone in any other direction, I would have lost her. She was ten times as fast as she usually is, and I'm not even exagerating.

Do your Ts sometimes surprise you with unprecedented speed?

Sorry about the long post, I'm still shaking. I clearly got lucky. Obviously she wouldn't be able to run too far at that speed, but still... made me question my competence as a T keeper.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Cup her next time, just like you would if you had to relocate a wasp or something. Is this your first/only Old World tarantula? Balfouri aren't especially quick, I've gotta say. They can move when motivated, but not like a Poecilotheria or even something like Chilobrachys.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
Has anyone speed clocked T's? If not I am going to ask the Govt for a .5 million grant and start doing this.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Behold, teleportation.

There's a reason we use the word teleport to describe some spider speed.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Glad things turned out okay. There is a reason why people say these aren't beginner tarantulas. You can find some cool slow-mo footage of M balfouri among others moving faster than the frame speed of the video. Just be careful!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've never seen anything like that ever before. She literally teleported. Boom.
She literally teleported? You should sell her to the government, I'm sure they'd like to get their hands on that technology ;)

But as has been said, use this spider as a learning tool. They're among the slowest OW spiders, even at their fastest. They're not even in the ballpark of something like Poecilotheria or Ceratogyrus... hell, or juvenile Nhandu for that matter.

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
I'd not even thought of using the bathtub for my OWs. So I learnt a thing, thanks.
Glad it worked out okay, sorry it shook you up but you at least you know it happens now. :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
She literally teleported? You should sell her to the government, I'm sure they'd like to get their hands on that technology ;)
It's cool and everything my man but mind, I have to tell you and others here that I've already optioned a 'Ballchinian' Theraphosidae from my fellas working in the "area" :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
There's a reason we use the word teleport to describe some spider speed.

But as has been said, use this spider as a learning tool. They're among the slowest OW spiders, even at their fastest. They're not even in the ballpark of something like Poecilotheria or Ceratogyrus... hell, or juvenile Nhandu for that matter.
I've still not had one teleport on me. Yeah, they are fast but I've caught lizards that were faster to me then any of my Ts so far. I think it's more to do with people working with them in enclosed spaces (which is why I prefer open spaces when working with them). A scrambling T can make a lap or two in a deli cup and look fast. :wideyed: Out on the floor though you realize it went less than a foot.. so yeah.

They do have speed no doubt but I chuckle when I here the magic 'teleport' word used.

Like @Thistles said the catch cup transfer works really well.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've still not had one teleport on me. Yeah, they are fast but I've caught lizards that were faster to me then any of my Ts so far. I think it's more to do with people working with them in enclosed spaces (which is why I prefer open spaces when working with them). A scrambling T can make a lap or two in a deli cup and look fast. :wideyed: Out on the floor though you realize it went less than a foot.. so yeah.

They do have speed no doubt but I chuckle when I here the magic 'teleport' word used.

Like @istles said the catch cup transfer works really well.
You'll get there, noob. ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
You'll get there, noob. ;)
Haha, when? I've rehoused 40 or so OW Ts from slings to adults and not seen the magic teleport. I have lizards on my back porch that move faster - for longer periods of time - and are harder to keep up with than my Ts.

Maybe all mine need new running shoes. Or maybe I need to sale some of those lizards as practice animals for people wanting to get some of the teleport T species. :p

Most likely we just have a different idea of what teleportation means. :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Haha, when? I've rehoused 40 or so OW Ts from slings to adults and not seen the magic teleport. I have lizards on my back porch that move faster - for longer periods of time - and are harder to keep up with than my Ts.

Maybe all mine need new running shoes. Or maybe I need to sale some of those lizards as practice animals for people wanting to get some of the teleport T species. :p

Most likely we just have a different idea of what teleportation means. :D
That's likely. To me, it's when they move across their cage in about the time I can blink. You must just be the spider whisperer.:p