My B. hamorii sling is acting like an old world???

Reese Johnson

Arachnopeon
I got this B. hamorii sling about three weeks ago and a few problems have arisen. Its supposed to be one of the most docile species but its not taking food at all and I doubt its in pre molt because its climbing all over the place and its very skinny and its abdomen isn't shiny. Today when I was watering it it almost climbed out of its enclosure and I gently blew on it to get it back and it ran around at old world speed around the enclosure, and stopped in the middle and did a threat posture. Are crazy hamorris a thing? Is this normal?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Today when I was watering it it almost climbed out of its enclosure and I gently blew on it to get it back and it ran around at old world speed around the enclosure, and stopped in the middle and did a threat posture. Are crazy hamorris a thing? Is this normal?
Well, you don’t blow on it. That’s why.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't worry, that 'OW speed' isn't the 'OW speed'. Try to offer always very little preys (like Pinhead crickets) - even pre-killed, they will scavenge for those.

As said above, don't blow: that's not nice at all, and post, if you can, a pic :writer:

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
Mines the same way except he's a big scardy cat but the speed is crazy. If I place something softly on the shelf he's on. It's a mad dash into his hide.
Its pretty normal for a tarantula to have a differing personality to what it "should" so no need to worry.
For feeding I would drop in something prekilled and see if it'll take that instead.

boina

Lady of the mites
I got this B. hamorii sling about three weeks ago and a few problems have arisen. Its supposed to be one of the most docile species but its not taking food at all and I doubt its in pre molt because its climbing all over the place and its very skinny and its abdomen isn't shiny. Today when I was watering it it almost climbed out of its enclosure and I gently blew on it to get it back and it ran around at old world speed around the enclosure, and stopped in the middle and did a threat posture. Are crazy hamorris a thing? Is this normal?
If your sling is climbing all over the place it may be because there's something wrong with the enclosure and it is trying to get out and to a more suitable environment. Is it, by chance, to wet in there? That's the most common mistake with B. hamorii enclosures - they like it on the dryer side. Can you post a pic?

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Haha I love how this picture has become a reference point for all docile T’s that misbehave! I’ve seen in used in a few threads and it makes me giggle everytime! Although I do spare a thought for Grym who has to care for the little monkey! It should be used on one of those signs that dog owners have.

Beware B hamorii lives here!

Love it!

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Just out of curiosity, how big is your sling? I have a hamorii sling that is very skittish, not as bad as my smithi but they both seem to panic at the smallest of disturbances. All slings are a little jumpy and fast, but Brachys I noticed are slightly more so, I assumed it was a trait of the genus until I got a couple of emilia and both are cool as a cucumber! As soon as I open the lid, they come right out to see what I want, I have a 0.75cm, she is a dot and very cute but brave as anything!
I was intrigued by your saying it gave a threat posture, Ive never had a threat posture from a sling (that I’ve noticed) that’s why I was curious about its size.
Blowing is a sure fire way to make the T crazy as their hairs are extremely sensitive to this and it simply stresses them out, that said there was no harm done and you know for next time.
I hope the little monkey has calmed down, if not, once it’s grown you can arrange play dates with The Grym reaper!

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Yes its normal, not every individual is going to act the same just because they're of the same species. Blowing on a T is a terrible idea, they hate it and that is the reason it ran at what you think is "OW speed".

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Envy isn't a positive emotion...probably best keep that to yourself;)

Isn't that one of the seven deadly sins?
Depends on the intention I would say, that is the only word I could think of at the moment. Perhaps praying hands with a "hopeful" rating would be better.

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Just out of curiosity...what was you actually doing to piss her off at this moment? Did you just walk in the room and take the lid off the enclosure? Is she that kind of angry? Her enclosure looks really nice and big with lots of special hidey places, she’s clearly spoilt so Im guessing she’s a total diva! xxxxx

Last edited: