My attempt at an aesthetically appealing Versicolor sling habitat

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Just got my 2nd T, a Caribena Versicolor sling. Sure, I could have made an economic habitat in a deli cup, but I wanted to create something with some shine to it.

I started with a Jamie’s juvenile arboreal habitat, and then I got a large flat piece of cork bark. I used a Dremel to cut a nice sheet to the size of the habitat back wall. I then cut some branch-like pieces of cork bark and jutted them out to make the 2D wall more three-dimensional. Added a couple small pieces as ledges, and then added some fake leaves.

Once everything was created and attached, I slid the three dimensional cork bark in the back of the habitat and secured it with screws.

Overall, thought it came out great, although the pics don’t seem to do it justice. Feel free to critique. Thanks to @MobBurrow for a great transaction and a safely delivered T. Well done sir!!

37D58E2A-A078-44BF-836C-9E0292572B53.jpeg 2E89FCD6-DB13-4970-9D84-36D84EB1BB01.jpeg 3E8B4C03-7E07-4579-9719-2EE3FF0B9070.jpeg 6F51D3EF-BB46-4C75-B0F3-59973656A076.jpeg

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Thanks guys!

Wow this Versi is quite the active little spider. Hadn’t been in the habitat 30 minutes before it created a web hammock at the top of the habitat. It’s a perfect location (for now at least haha) because it gives an amazing view of this colorful little T. I’m not sure my GBB is my favorite T anymore...

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Thanks guys!

Wow this Versi is quite the active little spider. Hadn’t been in the habitat 30 minutes before it created a web hammock at the top of the habitat. It’s a perfect location (for now at least haha) because it gives an amazing view of this colorful little T. I’m not sure my GBB is my favorite T anymore...
I wanted a GBB for my second tarantula originally but I've since decided I'd like the versicolor much more.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I wanted a GBB for my second tarantula originally but I've since decided I'd like the versicolor much more.
I love my GBB, but seeing this Versi cruise around the arboreal habitat making a web home is hard to beat.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That looks really great! Love it! :astonished:

It's a shame I can't find those kind of enclosures hereabouts. :banghead:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Looks nice. I like how you attached the cork bark. I had one enclosure where I hot glued it to the back and greatly regretted it later.

Avic enclosures are so fun to put together. I might need to get 1 or 2 more....

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Looks nice. I like how you attached the cork bark. I had one enclosure where I hot glued it to the back and greatly regretted it later.

Avic enclosures are so fun to put together. I might need to get 1 or 2 more....
So my first thought was to use hot glue to attach the cork bark. I had a hunch it might be a goat rodeo though. Fortunately, I had the cork sitting in place when I was drilling the vent holes, and the idea to just attach it with a few screws popped in my head. It worked like a charm.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Do you happen to know, if they ship their enclosure kits to Europe as well? I know they won't ship spiders.
No reason I know of that they wouldn’t. Shoot them an email, or just try and checkout with your address and see what happens.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
No reason I know of that they wouldn’t. Shoot them an email, or just try and checkout with your address and see what happens.
Thanks. I'm definitely gonna try that when I'm about to get my first arboreal. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For now it's ok generally speaking. As it gets larger, I would remove the cork bark that is pointing outwards. The reason for this is due to the face the T will crawl through that tight space perhaps, and over time the setae will come out from its legs. Your Ts legs will end up bald.

I'd have used much less cork to give your T more space as well.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Just got my 2nd T, a Caribena Versicolor sling. Sure, I could have made an economic habitat in a deli cup, but I wanted to create something with some shine to it.

I started with a Jamie’s juvenile arboreal habitat, and then I got a large flat piece of cork bark. I used a Dremel to cut a nice sheet to the size of the habitat back wall. I then cut some branch-like pieces of cork bark and jutted them out to make the 2D wall more three-dimensional. Added a couple small pieces as ledges, and then added some fake leaves.

Once everything was created and attached, I slid the three dimensional cork bark in the back of the habitat and secured it with screws.

Overall, thought it came out great, although the pics don’t seem to do it justice. Feel free to critique. Thanks to @MobBurrow for a great transaction and a safely delivered T. Well done sir!!

View attachment 257997 View attachment 257998 View attachment 257999 View attachment 258000
It will need more space as it grows, but for now it looks good.

Make sure it feeds.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
For now it's ok generally speaking. As it gets larger, I would remove the cork bark that is pointing outwards. The reason for this is due to the face the T will crawl through that tight space perhaps, and over time the setae will come out from its legs. Your Ts legs will end up bald.

I'd have used much less cork to give your T more space as well.
Thanks for the advice. Right now, it has tons of room, given it’s a 1.5” sling in a 4x4x8” habitat.

When it starts to look cramped whatsoever, I will build it a new, larger habitat and most likely get another sling for this one.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
It will need more space as it grows, but for now it looks good.

Make sure it feeds.
Tossed a cricket in today but it wasn’t interested. Not too surprised, as MobBurrow said it ate shortly before being shipped.

Question though - with its lair at the very top of the habitat, will it have any issues detecting a cricket on the substrate? I understand their vision is poor and it’s about 5” from lair to substrate. I’m guessing it won’t be, as the cricket scaled up the cork wall several times. Was curious what other people's experience was with Avics coming down to feed.