My apologies to anyone upset by my poecilotheria regalis handling photos..

FuzzyFreaks420

Arachnosquire
A few Minutes ago I posted some pictures of me holding one of my old T's. And some people were upset by this. I did not know just holding one of these a time or two could cause such harm to the animal just off of stress..

She's passed a few years ago and now I feel guilty.

I wanted to take a second and apologize for my actions to anyone I may have offended. And to the animals I may have Harmed with stress from handling.

Also thank you guys for the Knowledge you have taught me today.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Don't feel too horrible, it's a learning experience. You didn't know,and now you do. Take what you now know and apply it to future situations, that's how everyone progresses. Sounds like you're pointed in the right direction.

And you're a brave soul for holding a pokie. :anxious:

FuzzyFreaks420

Arachnosquire
Don't feel too horrible, it's a learning experience. You didn't know,and now you do. Take what you now know and apply it to future situations, that's how everyone progresses. Sounds like you're pointed in the right direction.

And you're a brave soul for holding a pokie. :anxious:
Thank you!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Apologies? While I strongly disagree with such (useless, harmful) practice no need for that, man - speaking for myself only, of course.

Actually here there's plenty of 'handlers', including 'handlers' that dislike with other 'handlers' because: "... they are handling in the not correct way" ah ah :bored:

Check the pics gallery, jumps out always an handling picture: it's not prohibited, as a rule. Just controversial (for majority, here).

Handling and such is not allowed here where I live, pics are removed and the user banned.

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the whole pitch-fork-mob-mentality aka controversy around handling is stupid. Handling does not inherently harm the tarantula. With the right species it can even be a really good way to introduce people to tarantulas and combat arachnophobia. Handling fast, potent or just skittish species might not be a good idea, but it still does not deserve the flaming it gets on this board. What on the other hand should be and is rightfully criticized is the idea that you can tame tarantulas or invertebrates in general. And in case you were wondering: No, I do not handle my tarantulas, simply because it is not fun to me. But I will take out my G. pulchra for visitors to handle if they are curious. No harm done.

.Handling and such is not allowed here where I live, pics are removed and the user banned.
What kind of area do you live in that has that kind of specific laws?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think the whole pitch-fork-mob-mentality aka controversy around handling is stupid. Handling does not inherently harm the tarantula. With the right species it can even be a really good way to introduce people to tarantulas and combat arachnophobia. Handling fast, potent or just skittish species might not be a good idea, but it still does not deserve the flaming it gets on this board. What on the other hand should be and is rightfully criticized is the idea that you can tame tarantulas or invertebrates in general. And in case you were wondering: No, I do not handle my tarantulas, simply because it is not fun to me. But I will take out my G. pulchra for visitors to handle if they are curious. No harm done.
I disagree with something written above, but it's ok. In all honesty I don't care anymore if someone wants to handle etc

I live in Lombardy, Northern Italy, but I was talking about the viewpoint/mindset of my nation arachnid - and inverts in general - Forums, not about a particular law of my homeland :angelic:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

It stresses the animal. That should be enough for the responsible keeper.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Don't beat yourself up. I can assure you, you didn't shorten your T's lifespan at all by handling it and causing some stress. The issue with handling and when it does harm the T, is when they're physically damaged from being dropped or something along those lines.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I think having a Pokie or any OW on my hand would be stressful enough for me let alone the spider :confused: Would not want to get bit by something like a Pokie. Don't feel guilty, handling a T isn't something that you should feel guilty about.

Handling isn't inherently evil but it's not exactly something I'd promote either

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
A few Minutes ago I posted some pictures of me holding one of my old T's. And some people were upset by this. I did not know just holding one of these a time or two could cause such harm to the animal just off of stress..

She's passed a few years ago and now I feel guilty.

I wanted to take a second and apologize for my actions to anyone I may have offended. And to the animals I may have Harmed with stress from handling.

Also thank you guys for the Knowledge you have taught me today.
okay in my opinion there are two circumstances where its okay to handle a T once in a blue moon if 1 its escaping and you dont have a catch cup or 2 if your doing a demonstration to prove that Ts are gentle giants and you only do this only VERY rarely

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Handling and such is not allowed here where I live, pics are removed and the user banned.
WOAH okay man calm down some people dont know any better and need to be educated on why not to handle Ts and even then i think banning them for doing that once without warning is a bit mean.

cold blood

Staff member
okay in my opinion there are two circumstances where its okay to handle a T once in a blue moon if 1 its escaping and you dont have a catch cup or 2 if your doing a demonstration to prove that Ts are gentle giants and you only do this only VERY rarely
Agreed...but not for all species. This is an adult female pokie we're talking about here...there is literally NEVER a good reason to hold such a species...in fact, doing so sets a very bad example in our monkey see monkey do society.
WOAH okay man calm down some people dont know any better and need to be educated on why not to handle Ts and even then i think banning them for doing that once without warning is a bit mean.
He was merely explaining general views in Italy...not his personal views, which he expressed in a very differrent manner.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Agreed...but not for all species. This is an adult female pokie we're talking about here...there is literally NEVER a good reason to hold such a species...in fact, doing so sets a very bad example in our monkey see monkey do society.
oh yeah of course i was just saying

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
okay im just saying banning without warning isnt cool thats all

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
okay im just saying banning without warning isnt cool thats all
As @cold blood said, I was talking about only how the handling of venomous inverts (arachnids in particular) is viewed in Italy in arachnid/venomous inverts themed Forums (which means, if in the Off Topic/Other animals section of a Cat/Dog themed Forum, someone upload a Theraphosidae handling picture, he/she probably wouldn't end 'punished').

Obviously I didn't said, go figure suggested, that the same mindset should be applied here. In all honesty I don't care anymore if someone wants to handle. I disagree, ok, but I don't care anymore. Why I should, at the end? :)

As far 'banning' a user without a warning, that's not how that stuff works. Example: someone 'A' upload a clear handling picture of arachnids 'B' (no matter which), well, that pic is removed, and said user receive a 'call'.

If said user persist into that, well, he/she's banned. Here handling is viewed as a reckless 'stunt' and nothing else, and, sadly, Americans and YT ends always mixed together as a 'bad example'.

I've said 'sadly' because in the U.S there's a multitude of skilled keepers and breeders, persons that, IMO, sometimes they don't receive the credit they deserves, but, no matter, majority of those handling videos arrived from the U.S.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
As @cold blood said, I was talking about only how the handling of venomous inverts (arachnids in particular) is viewed in Italy in arachnid/venomous inverts themed Forums (which means, if in the Off Topic/Other animals section of a Cat/Dog themed Forum, someone upload a Theraphosidae handling picture, he/she probably wouldn't end 'punished').
oh okay sorry i misunderstood

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I frown upon your decision, but who cares what others think, it's not like you were handling a Facehugger from Alien's. As long as you knew what you were doing and did it safely, you getting bit or the T bolting and injuring itself is on you.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If it is in the terms of service of the forum/Facebook group then, nope, it's not harsh. It's outlawed on forums here as well, but people usual get a warning with the message to delete their pictures or posts. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. Nothing mean or bad about it, a group has the right to set the rules.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
If it is in the terms of service of the forum/Facebook group then, nope, it's not harsh. It's outlawed on forums here as well, but people usual get a warning with the message to delete their pictures or posts. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. Nothing mean or bad about it, a group has the right to set the rules.
oh i thought he ment on here oops sorry i didnt get much sleep the last day or 2 so attention span is not my friend rn