1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Aphonopelma Chalcodes sling buried itself, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Kazuko Razorax, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

1. Advertisement
    I got this sling a week ago with a premade burrow that she expanded on her own, I fed her a mealworm and went to sleep I woke up this morning to see the mealworm eaten but also that she sealed herself in. she isn't being crushed and the cave looks somewhat stable, the exit has been completely blocked by at least 1/2'' of soil and she her back towards the exterior of the enclosure. I already had one of my slings of this specie die because of my panic so I want to ask what to do first IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0518.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. moricollins

moricollins Arachnoprince Old Timer

Leave it alone. Wait a few days and offer a prekilled mealworm. Then leave it alone again

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

This is the tarantula equivalent of putting up a Do Not Disturb sign. It’s either very full and not hungry or getting ready to moult. It may not eat again until it moults which may not be for a month or more. This species is VERY slow growing. Also don’t forget to keep the substrate slightly damp, as water and moisture levels and retention are very crucial to a successful moult.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Thanks, I wanted confirmation that this was not the tarantula equivalent of a Darwin award. as for moisture I always put it at a level that doesn't make my T's climb up their enclosure. But can it truly dig itself out of 1/2'' to 1'' of substrate? I just got into the hobby in May of this year, and am pretty anxious for her survival as well for my other T's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

Keep calm and read this! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Just wait till it emerges to feed again...could be a few days or a few months.

And no, its not trapped, it can get out with ease, it just doesnt want to....this is how they protect themselves, its completely normal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnoangel Active Member

closing off the enclosure is number one sign of "leave me alone human!"
    let your spider alone, it knows how to be alive, over care can cause more harm than good.

8. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Its not like they digs down, seal the burrow and then thinking: OMG, i cant dig myself up! Just relax! It will emerge eventually, maybe freshly moulted, maybe not! But it will rmerge!