My A. geniculata is about to molt

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know my A. geniculata is about to molt because he/she stopped eating a couple of weeks ago. And this guy normally has a monsterous apetite. I have seen him take down two dozen crickets in just a couple of days before.

Anyways, this guy is quite the hair kicker and as such, has two nice bald spots, each slighty smaller than that of a dime, on the rear of his abdomen. Well, even a few hours ago, when I took a look at him, they were still very much skin colored. But just a few minutes ago, when I took a look at him, they already darkened up tremendousely! I'm serious, in just a few hours, his bald spots went from skin colored to aproximately the color of his abdominal hair. I didn't know that this could happen so quickly. Has anyone else ever noticed this rapid hair growth?

Big Dragonfly
:?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When my genic molted, her abdomen turned from flesh color to black in a matter of hours just like yours. Then i waited a week and a half before she molted. She molted from 3 inches to 4 inches. Oddly enough, I have yet to see her kick a single hair. She has all her hairs on her abdomen. And i have done a few things by accident to get her rather mad at me, like accidently get a tad of water on her or drop the cage lid once which gave her a nice shot of air. She just sort of stands up, doesnt assume defenceive position but moves in long strides and makes herself look as big as possible. Perhaps i have a more docile one. anyways, what you've described sounds perfectly normal to me, but you may have to wait a week or 2 for her to molt!

Mark

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, here is a pic of my premolt genic. Kicked lots of hairs...

Last edited:

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i love a. geniculatas--they're so nice and stripey and symmetric!