Mushroom Hunting 2013

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
That's awesome. Yea, I'll have to go looking. :)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well today was my first day out. Did a little pre-mushroom and pre-bass fishing. So far the morels need a little more time and heat. I would guess another 2 weeks. I did find 3 that were pretty small. I didnt see any others, so i left them there. The bass werent biting at all, so still just a little too cold. Here are a few pics of where i hunt, the morels i seen today, and the first bag worms hatching.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Went back out today, ended up finding 8 morels, including the 3 from the other day. Seen a few canadian geese too.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Picked up a few today in a hour looking im thinking season almost over but been kinda dry here and cool maybe this rain we are going get today and night make some more

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats awesome guys! Keep em coming!

Eric, it has been kind of dry and cool here too. But this week we are going to get alot of rain, and gonna hit the 70s on wednesday. I would think later this week ill be finding alot more. Our season is just starting.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats awesome guys! Keep em coming!

Eric, it has been kind of dry and cool here too. But this week we are going to get alot of rain, and gonna hit the 70s on wednesday. I would think later this week ill be finding alot more. Our season is just starting.
Yep john this year has been one to remember here in the sticks for winter , we got all most 2-1/2 inch rain lastnight and temps are in middle 70's but after tuesday highs only in upper 50's so just might make a good mushroom hunt this week in few days are season is usually over first half of may

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah our winter was pretty darn horrible too. Regular -30 windchills was killing us. Sounds good, they should be popping up a little better. We just got alot of rain today, and tomorrow will be even warmer. Ill probably go back out later toward the weekend. Good luck!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well went out again today. Went pretty good, found 81. I was going to take a picture of every single one, but after about 20, i gave up lol.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice!!
What's your favorite recipe?

Bet you can find uses for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, since they look amazing.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Only way ive ever cooked them is in a batter. Just mix up some flour, salt, pepper, and fry them in some butter. They taste amazing! Lol its hard to make them last. No matter how many i have, as fast as they are cooked, they get eaten!
Very nice!!
What's your favorite recipe?

Bet you can find uses for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, since they look amazing.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Maybe even less than 2 months :) I've been finding , picking and of course eating morels since I was 4 years old and your method of cooking them is exact way I've always ate them They range a lot on taste also sometimes having a wonderful steak flavor to them and the next 1 can taste like a great slice of pizza
There's a restaurant in downtown Pittsburgh that will pay between $150-200 per pound and I've found over 20 pounds in a year before but I eat all of them smiling knowing that was a tasty $1000 meal for free :)
There are fake morels out there also but as the saying goes with morels ... If it's hollow you can swallow !!!
They do actually come up again in fall but it's an even shorter season of a week or less and they are always smaller and harder to find with all the surrounding vegetation being up

Good stuff and Great Pics !!!!!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i usually start going around mid april, and will go every few days. But once i start finding them, i go every single day until they are gone. The flavors are awesome. I have heard that places in NY will pay like $350 for 1/8 pound. That pic of me holding up the bad full is about 16-20 pounds. I can tell them apart from all other mushrooms, and can spot them a good distance off. But as you know on some occassions you can be standing right on top of them and not see any, until you spot that first one. I have heard about them coming back up in the fall, but never knew exactly when. I wish they were up all spring-fall! Thanks!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes that is a Morel! Find more and fry them up! Congrats. I wish they were up here now. But itll be about another 3 to 4 weeks.
Sorry to bump your thread but I was out hunting for some spiders and came across this mushroom. I KNEW it looked familiar and grabbed it. Is this shroom the thread is about? I know nothing about these by the way lol