multiples?

u bada

Arachnopeon
so I'm always amazed when some of ya'll are like I have 8 of such and such species and 3 of them are growing faster than the rest, etc.

I mean, I feel like sure t's add up especially with their cost each just getting one of a species then you quadruple and bam that's a fair amount of $... now grant you, I've now graduated to having 2 of this and that and 3 of this, but just got an offer to get at a bunch of 2nd instar versi's and I feel like a wimp saying I just want 2 or 3... lol

I get it's about ensuring you get a female, or a male, depending on what you want to do... but is everyone's plan in having multiples is really my question, out of curiosity... I know with all my slings now once they're mature I really won't know what to do... is one incentive for me to trade and sell for later? or just like to have a large family? lol

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I get it's about ensuring you get a female, or a male, depending on what you want to do... but is everyone's plan in having multiples is really my question, out of curiosity... I know with all my slings now once they're mature I really won't know what to do... is one incentive for me to trade and sell for later? or just like to have a large family? lol
In addition to just increasing the odds of getting a female, I think some people get multiple slings with the expectation of trading/selling the extras (when they grow up) to subsidize their hobby.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Also when you're buying small slings the mortality rate is higher than buying juveniles or subadults. I use to always try to but at least 4 of each species I kept so that way I would have a better chance of getting a female (or two), and to increase chances of getting as many as possible to adulthood. Plus your can always sell or trade the extras.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Along with what other people have said, also remember that we all have favorite species. I've got a half-dozen P. scrofa not because I'm hoping for a female, but because I love that species. I just bought a third adult female N. coloratovillosus for the same reason.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
If I had the room I'd probably have half a dozen B. hamorii, the colours on mine never cease to stun me so why not have a whole army?

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
I have 30 P metallica now as I always buy in bulk as slings. I stopped sexing them years ago as I mind what they are

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Along with what other people have said, also remember that we all have favorite species.
This! I have over two dozen P. murinus and over a dozen P. chordatus because I simply adore them. I bred them, though, so that wasn't a problem lol

cold blood

Staff member
Its soooooo much cheaper in the long run to buy as many multiples of cheaper slings as possible....you virtually always get the female you want and a bunch of trade bait or cash back which can result in quick and free expansion.

The most expensive and time consuming way to build a collection is to buy one sling at a time.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't have multiple of the same tarantula but I do have multiple of the same spiders simply because I love the species.

3x Sicarius thomisoides
3x Gandanameno sp
3x Calommata signata

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I usually buy two slings of a species at a time. If they're both male, I stop playing the sling lottery and go after a juvenile female whenever possible.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
And some breeders give great discounts. If I bought one Nhandu and one Aphonopelma, it would have cost me 30. Instead, I got three Nhandus and two Aphonopelmas for 50. The other species offered in the 5 for 50 deal just weren't for me. And they threw in a free B. albo, so I have three now. No complaints, I love albos and I'd love to have more.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
There are different reasons for different people.

Like you say most buy multiple because the “need” a female for their collection. (probably the thing i hate most about the hobby if i’m honest)

Others might need a male, female, or pair for breeding purposes.

I tend to look for a good price on a lot of 5-20x (very often you can get a much better price buying in 5x or 10x lots of the same species) and then i keep a few for me and sell the rest to local people in the hobby to help pay for shipping and possibly even part of the cost of the ones i keep. But most of the time i still keep 2-5 of a species because i enjoy having multiples to get more feel foe the species instead of just an individual, plus i like to have both sexes.

Dman

Arachnosquire
I have 16 currently and none of them the same. I do not breed yet and do not focus on sexing. I go for colors and beautiful displays. When my males mature I sell them or trade them. I have gone up and down in my numbers over time but have always done it that way.

I have never understood having so many of the same unless you are making money off of them and breeding.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
I've always been curious how people go about selling and trading their Ts, through classifieds, personal friends ect.
I've recently confirmed my B. albo juvi as a male so I suppose I'll be crossing that bridge in a few years once he matures.

Im more inclined to buy slings in bulk for reasons previously listed.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
People have their own objectives and reasoning's for buying multiples. I've always tried to buy multiples for breeding in the future. But their are some T.'s I buy multiples just because I find them fascinating. An example is the C. marshalli because I love the horns and I own 5 of them. Either way, to each and everyone for their own reasoning to buying multiples.

I personally think that buying multiples is a good thing if you have the money and space for them.