Multiple scorpion setup

Zeez

Arachnopeon
Can someone explain to me how to keep multiple species?

I am wanting to do a stackable setup (with sterilite containers) and was wondering how to go about heating them all. It seems like heating sources would melt the containers? Are they hard to melt?

Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around having multiple plastic containers being heated. What type of heating source should I use? I've read that room temp is fine, but my house stays about 75F during the day and when winter comes it'll probably be lower so I need to think about that.

Also, what quart size containers should I use for single scorpions?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
It all depends on the size of the scorp. How nice or big do you want the enclosures to be. I use a mix of exo terra breeder boxes (small), plastic tupperware, or deli cups for small slings.

My heat source is a 100 watt ceramic heat bulb that hovers over my enclosures. Keeping it beteeen 80-100 in a smal cabinet area i have made out of a dresser. 75° is ok for some adult scorps but younger instar scorps thrive in a bit more heat. Most should stay within the 80s - 90s 20170706_211434.jpg 20170706_173718.jpg

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
75°F is fine for most all invertabrates. During winter time a space heater is what most use. I keep my inverts in the basement and the space heater works just fine. I, however, built a cabinet that keeps the babies at a higher temp. to speed up their growth rate. Then, when juveniles, are added to the shelves in the main room.
As far as individual containers/enclosures, its dependent on the size of the specimen. I've scorps that max at around an inch, kept in 2"X4"X2" enclosures. Largest scorps, Heterometrus species, kept in 8"X14"X8" enclosures. So size will vary, without knowing the size and species you're keeping I can't advise an enclosure size.

Zeez

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the responses and pics!

I currently have AFS (heterometrus) but I will be wanting to keep bark scorpions in the future. I have a female in a 10 gallon aquarium right now, and a group of friends just bought me a male for my birthday. Is a 10 gallon tank big enough for a pair? I have an empty 5 gallon I can put the male in if the 10 is too small for both, or things don't work out between them.

My main interest is breeding, so I'm looking into what I would need in the future for housing multiple scorpions in a stack setup. The advice about keeping the babies at a higher temp is greatly appreciated.

Stugy

Arachnolord
A 10gal is more than enough for 2 bark scorpions. You can probably fit 10-25 of them in there with no problem as long as they are adults.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I'm using 6qt sterilite containers for my individual scorpions (well only for my Grosphus grandidieri lol). I'll probably end up switching to containers from The Container Store soon since I like the variety and prices.

Zeez

Arachnopeon
A 10gal is more than enough for 2 bark scorpions. You can probably fit 10-25 of them in there with no problem as long as they are adults.
I meant 2 AFS. Sorry about that.

Are you using heating elements? If so, what kind?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
10 gal is just fine for 2 adults. Younger ones should be housed separate. . Lots of substrate. Multiple hides. Keep them well fed and enjoy.. let the female take over the enclosure first then introduce him
I meant 2 AFS. Sorry about that.

Are you using heating elements? If so, what kind?

Zeez

Arachnopeon
10 gal is just fine for 2 adults. Younger ones should be housed separate. . Lots of substrate. Multiple hides. Keep them well fed and enjoy.. let the female take over the enclosure first then introduce him
Is there a way to age them? The female has been in there for a couple of weeks now. I'm waiting until this evening to introduce the male to the tank.

Forgot to add; there is about 5" of moist eco earth in the tank. Should I add more?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
5 inches is good. Post pictures of eash specimen and a few people can comfirm if adult or not, but at the very least make sure they are similar in size so one doesnt completely bully the other

Zeez

Arachnopeon
5 inches is good. Post pictures of eash specimen and a few people can comfirm if adult or not, but at the very least make sure they are similar in size so one doesnt completely bully the other
Female is in first pic. Taken before I added extra substrate.

Second pic is male still in his temporary home (not sure why he's on bark but that's what he came in)

The male is a little bigger, but like I said, I have an extra tank for him if need be.

Attachments

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Male looks matured to me, the female...... not so sure. Might be a sub? I would get another opinion for sure.
I would assume she should be bigger than him if matured

Zeez

Arachnopeon
Male looks matured to me, the female...... not so sure. Might be a sub? I would get another opinion for sure.
I would assume she should be bigger than him if matured
Do you think it would be ok to put them together? Or should I just go ahead and put him in the 5 gallon until she can get bigger?

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
The AFS are hard to tell what is what without really close up pictures. I have had two different species and I wouldn't put them together unless you know for sure they are the same.
Also once they are housed together, they like to have their own hiding spot.