Moving with a collection...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Isn't very fun. Moving twice over the course of a couple months is a nightmare. There's a TL;DR at the end for those that don't care about my rantings :banghead:

It may have gone unnoticed, but I've been largely absent for a few weeks now. I was moving, simple as that. But even moving within the same city is far from fun. I had a new house set up months in advance, and my new landlord knew about both the tarantulas and the dubia colonies. He was very cordial about the whole ordeal; he accepted my proof that the dubia are incapable of infestation in this climate, and for someone not in the hobby, he was remarkably open to the tarantulas. He actually didn't seem to care too much about the bugs mainly because I agreed to absorb the cost of any pest control services rather than it falling onto him. It was all just dandy.

So I pack up my old house, and gradually move everything into the new house. He was nice enough to allow me to unload my things over the course of a week while the carpets were being replaced. Since I couldn't very well live in there during that time, he didn't even charge me rent. Great. I set up my invert room in the master bedroom, as well as run all of the required wiring for heaters/humidifiers/etc. That alone was about three solid days worth of work. The lease was set to start in about a week when he, unfortunately, died. He left the house to his daughter, who is the embodiment of a burning pile of tires. She wanted to sell the house immediately, and I pleaded with her to at least let me stay for a month while I found a new place. No dice, she wouldn't even hear of it. She wanted me out within the week. Given that the lease was already signed, I'm sure that there was some kind of legal action I could have taken, but I frankly didn't have time for all of that nor do I care to wade through the procedural red tape.

Well luck was on my side, because as it turns out an acquaintance of mine just finished buying a home that he exclusively planed on renting out. As of a couple days ago, I finally finished moving everything in. The home is much more conducive to my hobbies, it's closer to my workplace, it's in a better neighborhood, and to top it off, it's $150/month cheaper than the other place. Score. So in the end, I may have shaved a few years off of my life after all this stress, but it worked out for the best in the end.

TL;DR - I'm back :D

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I have a move coming in my future and am not looking forward to it. After we sell my fathers farm (he passed in Feb) I plan on using part of my share to buy a house, so at least I won't have to worry about what a landlord thinks of my inverts. As far as neighbors go I don't plan on telling them - I don't care to hear a bunch uninformed opinions on "poisonous bugs". I'm bringing boxes home from work to put my inverts in when I move so the neighbors won't know what they are.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
You very likely could have stayed due to the lease, but she would have been one hell of a landlord. I still need to visit you one of these times I make it down there.

Moving is no fun. About a year ago, I loaded 30 tarantulas and a brother in law in the cab of a U-haul and then drove 12 hours to Utah. My A. geniculata didn't forgive me for like a month (her booty was shaking the whole way from the vibrations of the truck).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Glad that it worked out well in the end. I just moved mine last week. I took them all in cardboard boxes so that nobody would know what was coming out of my downtown apartment. I don't have to worry about the other end, as my house is in a less-populated area and surrounded by trees. They're temporarily in the basement, but once the upstairs is finished, I'll move them up there and share a photo of the new T area.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I know, and am quite glad, the issue is over and what I write is moot in your case. However, just for general info to any who may experience a similar issue (this applies in America, I am not familiar with foreign laws regarding the matter), if you had been unable to find a solution to your issue, the legal onus would have been on the landlord if the lease was signed.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Isn't very fun. Moving twice over the course of a couple months is a nightmare. There's a TL;DR at the end for those that don't care about my rantings :banghead:

It may have gone unnoticed, but I've been largely absent for a few weeks now. I was moving, simple as that. But even moving within the same city is far from fun. I had a new house set up months in advance, and my new landlord knew about both the tarantulas and the dubia colonies. He was very cordial about the whole ordeal; he accepted my proof that the dubia are incapable of infestation in this climate, and for someone not in the hobby, he was remarkably open to the tarantulas. He actually didn't seem to care too much about the bugs mainly because I agreed to absorb the cost of any pest control services rather than it falling onto him. It was all just dandy.

So I pack up my old house, and gradually move everything into the new house. He was nice enough to allow me to unload my things over the course of a week while the carpets were being replaced. Since I couldn't very well live in there during that time, he didn't even charge me rent. Great. I set up my invert room in the master bedroom, as well as run all of the required wiring for heaters/humidifiers/etc. That alone was about three solid days worth of work. The lease was set to start in about a week when he, unfortunately, died. He left the house to his daughter, who is the embodiment of a burning pile of tires. She wanted to sell the house immediately, and I pleaded with her to at least let me stay for a month while I found a new place. No dice, she wouldn't even hear of it. She wanted me out within the week. Given that the lease was already signed, I'm sure that there was some kind of legal action I could have taken, but I frankly didn't have time for all of that nor do I care to wade through the procedural red tape.

Well luck was on my side, because as it turns out an acquaintance of mine just finished buying a home that he exclusively planed on renting out. As of a couple days ago, I finally finished moving everything in. The home is much more conducive to my hobbies, it's closer to my workplace, it's in a better neighborhood, and to top it off, it's $150/month cheaper than the other place. Score. So in the end, I may have shaved a few years off of my life after all this stress, but it worked out for the best in the end.

TL;DR - I'm back :D
Muahahah, amazing, simply amazing. My fav. part is the lovely reasonable landlord that dies and then rise his daughter: it's 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' combined with neorealism, Ionesco, and a couple of weirdoes lost in the desert while searching Area 51 secrets :)

I have a question, btw. Was the daughter hot? :pompous:

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Sounds like a nightmare. Yeah, you probably could have done something about it but it worked out anyways, so woo. I'd take a little bit of inconvenience and stress (ok fine moving is quite a bit more than that but still) to wind up at $150 less a month. Anywho, glad to have ya back.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You very likely could have stayed due to the lease, but she would have been one hell of a landlord. I still need to visit you one of these times I make it down there.
Yeah, I wouldn't have wanted her anyway. But it wouldn't have killed her to let me stay one more month. The house was paid off, she would have made money by letting me stay. But yes, you're always welcome! Got plenty of spiders for sale, too :p

Was the daughter hot? :pompous:
She has her father's moustache.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Glad to hear everything worked out in the end! My wife and I were kind of in a similar situation a couple of months ago. We've rented our current house for a couple of years when we found out that our landlord had died. Actually, we first found out that the management company was going to stop managing the property and we realized that the name of the owner was different on the paper work, then found his obit online. Our landlord had died and left the house to his daughter. We definitely panicked, thinking like you that the daughter would want to sell the house and we would need to be out by the end of our lease which was coming up. Thankfully, she actually wants to keep using the property as income, and recently signed another year-long lease (though now we get to deal with the late owner's ex-wife, who is managing the property for her daughter.

Also thankfully, she was cool with our spiders and other exotic animals. I don't think the subject of our exotic pets' food came up though ;) But I did not look forward to a move. My tarantula collection has exploded since we moved out of my old apartment (I think only had four at the time, including one that I got two days before the move).

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just moved my collection of around 100 Ts the other day! It was only a 3 hour drive... we played Tetris getting them all situated in the backseat of my truck, but they fit! I have moved *a lot* with Ts. I just moved a year before this, three years before, and a year before that. I have moved across states with the backseat of my truck filled with spiders.

I have, thankfully, never had to deal with landlords or neighbours and their opinions on my collection (of Ts, dogs, other animals, etc lol). I'm glad your situation worked out for the better in the end!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Ugh- moving is so stressful! Glad you landed in a good place and hopefully you can stay there for a long time.

I'm glad I don't have a landlord so I can do what I want, but that also means paying for things like maintenance on the septic system- and boy, I can think of a lot of other, more thrilling things on which to spend $600. Then again, neglecting a septic system is just asking for a mess, so of course I will pay up.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm glad I don't have a landlord so I can do what I want, but that also means paying for things like maintenance on the septic system- and boy, I can think of a lot of other, more thrilling things on which to spend $600. Then again, neglecting a septic system is just asking for a mess, so of course I will pay up.
This is actually one of the big reasons I haven't purchased a house. It's not a matter of finances, I could absolutely qualify for a loan and afford the downpayment. Firstly, I have no intention of staying here for another 15-30 years, so no thank you on buying. And secondly, houses out here in Vegas are built cheap. We don't have any natural disasters to speak of, so the codes don't need to be as strict. I grew up in Miami, and let me tell you, those houses were sturdy. You could tell they were made to withstand hurricanes. Homes out here? I can hear the television three rooms over.