Moving into old world tarantulas.

cold blood

Staff member
I think it's more likely to be a large juvie/subadult unless he's keeping it straya hot and feeding it small children :rofl:
Could easily be an adult or close, 2.5 years in the hobby is more than enough time to have a mature adult....we don't know how long he's had it...this is true, so it does leave room for interpretation....we don't know, he could have bought the irminia last week I suppose.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Could easily be an adult or close, 2.5 years in the hobby is more than enough time to have a mature adult....we don't know how long he's had it...this is true, so it does leave room for interpretation....we don't know, he could have bought the irminia last week I suppose.
OP said he got her as a 2cm sling about a year ago.

I know growth rates are extremely variable due to a plethora of factors but I got my girl at the same size around 15 months ago and she's a little under the 4" mark now.

cold blood

Staff member
OP said he got her as a 2cm sling about a year ago.

I know growth rates are extremely variable due to a plethora of factors but I got my girl at the same size around 15 months ago and she's a little under the 4" mark now.
Yeah, could easily be close to 4" in a year....your growth rates seem a little bit slower than the norm, but I would bet its still close to 4", 3.5 at least....but yeah, point made, probably not dealing with a larger specimen for that long.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, could easily be close to 4" in a year....your growth rates seem a little bit slower than the norm, but I would bet its still close to 4", 3.5 at least....but yeah, point made, probably not dealing with a larger specimen for that long.
Yeah, we had a pretty mild summer last year (it actually got cool enough at one point for my red runners to stop producing oothecae) so growth rates took a bit of a hit.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I strongly recommend getting a Ceratogyrus member. The reason I suggest this are the following

1. Easy to care for
2. Generally decent disposition for an OW (they aren't high strung like Asian arboreals can be)
3. VERY fast, but only terrestrial
4. Venom is significantly weaker than a Pokie-- Poki'e put grown men into hospitals, Ceratogyrus have not been recorded to do so yet.

If you are concerned about speed in a sense, I suggest you get an OW that is a terrestrial, rather than a very nimble Asian arboreal that navigates the x, y, and z axis like they were a ballerina.

I had few people recomending OBT or H.Maculat
Bad suggestions

What about pokies as first old
Not the greatest either, they make irminia look slow.

I was thinking about getting a sling to get used to its speed
SMART idea.

Viraniel

Arachnopeon
It was quite hot during the summer, during the winter my flat mates run the heaters like crazy, so all of my tarantulas were molting quite often. My P.irminia is between 3.5-4 inches, a bit difficult to measure her fully.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I am intrigued by some ow tarantulas. I stay away because I have a two year old toddler. Maybe someday. All 18 of my t's have been pretty chill. My first T was a "rosie" and it charged at me while changing the water bowl a few times. Only threat display I experienced was from C versicolor. I think I could handle an ow t. As long as you do research your better off than 90 percent of the crowd. Plenty of folks get an obt without any experience and have no issues cus they read up on them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It was quite hot during the summer, during the winter my flat mates run the heaters like crazy, so all of my tarantulas were molting quite often. My P.irminia is between 3.5-4 inches, a bit difficult to measure her fully.
Yeah, I've noticed some of my Ts are growing a little faster since I put the heating on for winter, I'm keeping it at a constant 25C/77F at the moment.

Yours is roughly about the same size as my girl.

View media item 46210

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Really I think it doesn't matter too much. I am not saying go and buy an old world right off the bat but after 2 and a half years in the hobby I think by now you should be fine. I don't want to argue with anyone over this but I went from a G.porteri and bought my first old world at around 14 and it was a Heteroscodra maculata. It was fast but even at 14 I had the common sense not to touch it at all and be careful and I was fine. Now I have 60 tarantulas, most old world, I'm 17 and I have never been bitten. So really I think you're fine. If you are dumb enough, or negligent enough to be bitten you were probably going to anyways whether you "graduated" up from new world to old world or not. Though, on this belief I think you could get any, I really do recommend a Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli, they look amazing.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Really I think it doesn't matter too much. I am not saying go and buy an old world right off the bat but after 2 and a half years in the hobby I think by now you should be fine. I don't want to argue with anyone over this but I went from a G.porteri and bought my first old world at around 14 and it was a Heteroscodra maculata. It was fast but even at 14 I had the common sense not to touch it at all and be careful and I was fine. Now I have 60 tarantulas, most old world, I'm 17 and I have never been bitten. So really I think you're fine. If you are dumb enough, or negligent enough to be bitten you were probably going to anyways whether you "graduated" up from new world to old world or not. Though, on this belief I think you could get any, I really do recommend a Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli, they look amazing.
Fair enough. But come on, it makes sense to learn with species that won't put you out of commission for a week if you get bit.
Some people are fine with ows pretty early on. It takes some basic knowledge and dedication.

You can usually tell within a couple posts whether a newcomer to the site would be okay with ows early on.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Okay, I think I might have worded it wrong. I don't want to make it seem like I recommend that anyone go out and buy an old world tarantula. Let's face it, a lot of people are very incompetent and will be putting themselves in serious issues by buying old world tarantulas. Though, by my post I am referring to people that actually have an innate interest in the hobby past the whole "hey guys look what I just bought" to their friends. I think the people who will research a lot, ask a lot of questions, and actually retain what they learn will be decently prepared for it but the people who know next to nothing and don't care to learn should really stay out of old worlds. Also, I am not meaning to seem as though I think "moving up the latter" is dumb, because it isn't. I am just trying to convey the belief that not always is this 100% necessary.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Okay, I think I might have worded it wrong. I don't want to make it seem like I recommend that anyone go out and buy an old world tarantula. Let's face it, a lot of people are very incompetent and will be putting themselves in serious issues by buying old world tarantulas. Though, by my post I am referring to people that actually have an innate interest in the hobby past the whole "hey guys look what I just bought" to their friends. I think the people who will research a lot, ask a lot of questions, and actually retain what they learn will be decently prepared for it but the people who know next to nothing and don't care to learn should really stay out of old worlds. Also, I am not meaning to seem as though I think "moving up the latter" is dumb, because it isn't. I am just trying to convey the belief that not always is this 100% necessary.
Agreed. But when faced with a newcomer. Most of the time It's best to play it safe and advise on the ladder system.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
There will always be idiots that make impulse purchases. Around here, as long as you have cash, a 14 year old can go buy a reticulated python or whatever they find at the local show.

Pa1hall65

Arachnopeon
Hey guys!

I'm about 2.5 years into the hobby, I think i got some experience in keeping tarantulas, at the moment in my collection I have: Female GBB, female LP, Female G.rosea, Female A.geniculata, female P.irminia C.versicolor, A.metallica, T.gigas and N.trippei. For a long time now, im thinking about getting an old world tarantula, but I don't know which one would be a decent starting point. I had few people recomending OBT or H.Maculata, but after doing some proper research I figured it out that I will wait with those two until i get more experience. What about pokies as first old world? I was thinking about getting a sling to get used to its speed. ( Thats what i did with P.irminia and i still stunned at how fast she can be.) Any recomendations from more experienced tarantula keepers? Someone else has recommended that i get a Ephebopus rufescens, which they said its perfect middle ground between new world and old world arboreal species. Any thoughts on that?

Regards,
Viraniel
I started with the NW also and moved up into the OW scene. P. Irma is and was a good in between and I know its NW. But its speed and aggressive behavior is pretty good, I have a P. Regalis and it would rather hide and watch what your doing than even attempt to charge. First time cleaning I removed her and did what need to be done. Seemed to cause a lot of stress, so now i keep one handy but move things around carefully and she runs up and hides in the vines at the top corner of the enclosure and i am able to do whatever is needed. Once finished she comes back a goes right back to her normal spot. I have A OBT also got her as a sling now around 2 in and acts normal. If I get to doing too much yeah attitude comes out but I just keep prepared when and have everything ready for a just in case. So whatever you choose if you treat it with respect then you should have no issues. With any T there is a chance of being bitten but however your chances of being bitten are less likely when they are shown the proper respect they deserve.

Thomas Loomis

Arachnopeon
Agreed. But when faced with a newcomer. Most of the time It's best to play it safe and advise on the ladder system.
My issue with this is that personalities vary so much. I have NWs that make me jumpy and OWs that don't. The best advice to any new keeper is don't handle the spider. If you aren't trying to handle your new friend, you are much less likely to be bit. There are other opportunities to be bitten, but caution is the best policy. Understanding proper husbandry for whatever you chose to have is key.

I am really not fond of what accommodating naivete and idiocy to the hobby brings to the table.

Pa1hall65

Arachnopeon
My issue with this is that personalities vary so much. I have NWs that make me jumpy and OWs that don't. The best advice to any new keeper is don't handle the spider. If you aren't trying to handle your new friend, you are much less likely to be bit. There are other opportunities to be bitten, but caution is the best policy. Understanding proper husbandry for whatever you chose to have is key.

I am really not fond of what accommodating naivete and idiocy to the hobby brings to the table.
I agree, did at lot of research before making decisions to go with the OW T'. Though a couple were freebies that was going to be ordered anyway. I love them both. Most of the issues I have read about are from those who are naive or just ID10T enough to believe it want happen to me. Be prepared no matter, I know some have been bitten doing things right. So no one get upset cause I'm very aware it will happen. I haven't been tagged yet, notice the last word. I expect to make a mistake or the T be in a bad mood and tag gotcha.

I am not one to just go pick up my T's out of their habitats either or feed one with my fingers, I use tongs. I have learned how mine behave and react when it comes to normal husbandry of these animals. I get amazed still at how fast my P. Regalis can take down a large Dubia. Still haven't got a video of that yet but keep trying. They are amazing and should be enjoyed and not feared.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Exactly. This becomes an issue everytime a 'specialized hobby' grows into 'mainstream' hobby. People want the weird, outlandish, cool, dangerous pets because they want to identify themselves with that. Pitbull owners can attest to that, i think, as do snake owners.
So how do we keep everyone safe? By catering to the lowest nominal (is this the correct expression?), eg the new keepers that haven't done research one minute, or just went to the pet shop and went 'hey look, that looks weird, wow it's agressive, I'll take one please'.
In the Netherlands, it's more of a specialized hobby even though the community is opening up a bit. If you are a new keeper that hasn't done a bit of research and you go on the Facebook group or forum asking around basic questions, you get roasted. Got a problem with that? Bye bye.
I think that is a bit harsh myself, but i can understand why people want new keepers to do their damn research if they want to be taken seriously by other keepers.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

Not really IME.