Moving into old world tarantulas.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I agree with others in saying that a pokie is a decent starter OW. I would recommend a P. regalis. I jumped into OWs much sooner than you, and I started with pokies. The P. vittata in my avatar is unbelievably calm for an OW. She was probably an avic in a former life, and never got the memo;)

Be sure to share some photos of whichever one you end up getting:)

Viraniel

Arachnopeon
I agree with others in saying that a pokie is a decent starter OW. I would recommend a P. regalis. I jumped into OWs much sooner than you, and I started with pokies. The P. vittata in my avatar is unbelievably calm for an OW. She was probably an avic in a former life, and never got the memo;)

P.regalis or P.ornata was my main choice of pokies. I will of course share pictures when i buy something new, I have to take some decent pictures of my collection to upload into my profile anyway. ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

I disagree. You can get into ows with some common sense and experience raising defensive NW terrestrials. For a pokie you want some experience with fast NW arboreals.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well, technically actually they are if someone gained prior the proper experience with years of fast and defensive arboreals like P.irminia etc
Anoplaster needs to read my first post more throughly.

Saying a pokie is a good first ow is wrong. It can be okay, if you keep some Psalmos first. NOT everyone does that.

Baboons are a better choice if you've only kept terrestrials.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm about 2.5 years into the hobby, I think i got some experience in keeping tarantulas, at the moment in my collection I have: Female GBB, female LP, Female G.rosea, Female A.geniculata, female P.irminia C.versicolor, A.metallica, T.gigas and N.trippei. For a long time now, im thinking about getting an old world tarantula, but I don't know which one would be a decent starting point. I had few people recomending OBT or H.Maculata, but after doing some proper research I figured it out that I will wait with those two until i get more experience. What about pokies as first old world?
I'll let other people advise on Pokies, but if you're considering terrestrial species:

I got a 4" female Ceratogyrus marshalli (straight-horned baboon) as my first OW tarantula, because it has a reputation for being a good starter OW. Plus, they are sexually dimorphic, so it was easy to spot a female at Repticon. (Only the females have real horns; males just have little buttons.) They are inexpensive (I paid $30 for mine) and not too hard to find in the U.S.

Rehousing went well due to previous experience with other tarantulas. She was a little reluctant to leave her deli cup, and she hissed at me, but she was easier to coax out than many of my NWs.

I gave her room to dig, so she became a pet hole, but I can still see her through the side of her burrow.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Anoplaster needs to read my first post more throughly.

Saying a pokie is a good first ow is wrong. It can be okay, if you keep some Psalmos first. NOT everyone does that.

Baboons are a better choice if you've only kept terrestrials.
All you’re arguing here is that it’s conditional. One could easily make the argument that baboons are not appropriate as a first OW if it happens to also be their first T ever.

The point is the OP already mentions experience with irminia, and my post was tailored to that.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
All you’re arguing here is that it’s conditional. One could easily make the argument that baboons are not appropriate as a first OW if it happens to also be their first T ever.

The point is the OP already mentions experience with irminia, and my post was tailored to that.
I'm not going to waste my time anymore. You're clueless to what I'm trying to say.

@Nightshady aye, give your ratings and leave without a word.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
If you want an arboreal, a pokie would be great...if you want a baboon...Ceratogryus is a classic starter genus...A. ezendami is also a great one. Even P. muticus wouldn't be a bad choice.