Moving house

MesiTheMillipede

Arachnopeon
Hi guys;

I have a mixed species tank with no problems for a year (or about a year haha) and me and my fiancé have just moved in to our first house!
For a few hours while moving the temp in the tank dropped quite a bit (from about 22°C to about 17°C) we got the tank into the house and then slowly started to warm them up again - now they are at around 22°C again.
However last night when I went to check in them I noticed 1 dead millipede...and around 5 on the surface; all rather still!
I've picked each one up and most became active again fairly quickly and went off to hide again - however my giant orange millipede is a little worse for wear.
His front end moves (very slowly) but his back end doesn't move much at all - his legs wiggle but when I place him onto the soil he doesn't move and his back end lays of its side (with very little movement)
I'm quite worried about him - and whether the move had caused this :( He also feels cold to touch?
I'm worried about them all really as it's quite a large tank with around 20 millipedes in!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Some millipedes wouldn't have a problem at that temperature; what kinds were they? Anything sub/tropical shouldn't be that cool but I don't think it would kill them for just a few hours. They are cold blooded, so they can't make their own heat (like we can) so that could be why they feel cool.

I'm sure you won't be moving again anytime soon, but the best plan is to pack them as though you are shipping across the country. Add heat/ cold packs as needed and put them in something small where they won't be jostled about.

So sorry; I do hope the rest perk up and enjoy your new home.

MesiTheMillipede

Arachnopeon
Some millipedes wouldn't have a problem at that temperature; what kinds were they? Anything sub/tropical shouldn't be that cool but I don't think it would kill them for just a few hours. They are cold blooded, so they can't make their own heat (like we can) so that could be why they feel cool.

I'm sure you won't be moving again anytime soon, but the best plan is to pack them as though you are shipping across the country. Add heat/ cold packs as needed and put them in something small where they won't be jostled about.

So sorry; I do hope the rest perk up and enjoy your new home.
The rest seem to have perked up...however my giant orange millipede (I have no idea of Latin names) has passed away literally gutted!

These are all the species I have now (not all kept together may I add)
2 A.gigas
8 glossy pink legged
1 fire
3 Thai rainbow
2 smoky oak
1 ocal gold
2 Florida ivory
2 purple banded
3 bumblebees
1 borneo banded
1 giant fire