1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving abroad

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by gostars, Jul 26, 2019.

1. gostars

gostars Arachnopeon

England
    Advertisement
    I currently live in the UK, and my boyfriend lives in the USA. We're both avid tarantula fans - he has a young GBB, and I have a G. Pulchra & a B. Bohemi. Eventually we are going to get our own place, ideally in Antwerp or Groningen, Belgium or Holland. Has anyone ever moved overseas while keeping tarantulas? How do I transport them with me?

2. Predacons5

Predacons5 Arachnopeon

Check with the respective country's customs officers. They should have details on what to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kitara

Kitara Arachnoknight Active Member

US
    All I know is that we had to go through so many freaking hoops (expensive too) to get our dogs overseas. I can only imagine the red tape for Ts. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Polenth

Polenth Arachnoknight Active Member

Tarantulas can be moved easily between EU countries. People buy from other countries all the time. Your issue is going to be the UK is most likely going to drop out of the EU, so the rules will most likely change in unpredictable ways. Nobody has experience of doing that because it hasn't happened yet.

You should be able to research the US to EU direction though, as that's unlikely to change in the next few months.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    Is the question relating to getting one the Ts from the USA to the UK? To do that, you would need to contact somebody with import/export capabilities in each country and try to work something out with them. Honestly though, selling his GBB in the US and buying a new one in the UK will probably cause a net profit, where export/import for a single reletively comming T will probably cost a lot more than the T is worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, sell the ts and buy new ones at a fraction of the cost in the UK....absolutely not worth the time, effort or cost (or risk if you dont go through the proper steps).

7. korg

korg Arachnobaron

Bringing tarantulas from the US to Europe counts as importing exotic animals, so your boyfriend would have to follow those laws, get permits, etc. Absolutely no way it's worth the effort for one spider, like cold blood said. Prices are so much lower in Europe that he could probably sell his GBB in the US and buy a new one plus many more in Europe when he gets there.

8. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

Sell the spiders and buy new ones when you get to the new country.