mouse bigger than snake

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hoppers for a 4' corn? wow. that's really small meals. heh yeah, you can give her small mice for sure, and adult mice without issue in most cases.
Ok. I will move her up to adult mice from now on. Thanks.

JohnEDove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
j.everson23,
If I were giving you advice as one of my customers I would tell you to go with what you feel is best.
I generally tell my customers not to feed anything larger than the largest circumference of the snake, I also offer a one month guarantee on my snakes and make myself available to my customers for consultation forever. I do not always follow the largest circumfrence rule myself but I stick pretty close to it. There are times my breeders get smaller than optimal rodents and on occasion they get something slightly larger than optimal. So far I have not had problem one.
That is one of the nice thing about snakes, and corns in particular, in the wild they take what they find and for the most part avoid what they cannot eat.
As for your snake, if you feel comfortable with 2 or 3 hoppers every 7 – 10 day instead of 1 adult mouse then go for it. Multiple hoppers offer roughly the same nutrition as their adult counterpart. You are the one that lives with and observes the snake, you are the best judge of how it is doing and what it can handle.

Last edited:

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed all my 4ft corns adult mice or small rats. I was really nervous the first time I bumped up their prey from fuzzy to adult but they did just fine. They can do small rats but it takes a lot longer for them to eat so I usually just give them two adult mice instead when I'm trying to fatten them up for winter.
I've adopted some snakes recently and a lot of people were not feeding their snake appropriate sized food items (way too small!).

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
j.everson23,
If I were giving you advice as one of my customers I would tell you to go with what you feel is best.
I generally tell my customers not to feed anything larger than the largest circumference of the snake, I also offer a one month guarantee on my snakes and make myself available to my customers for consultation forever. I do not always follow the largest circumfrence rule myself but I stick pretty close to it. There are times my breeders get smaller than optimal rodents and on occasion they get something slightly larger than optimal. So far I have not had problem one.
That is one of the nice thing about snakes, and corns in particular, in the wild they take what they find and for the most part avoid what they cannot eat.
As for your snake, if you feel comfortable with 2 or 3 hoppers every 7 – 10 day instead of 1 adult mouse then go for it. Multiple hoppers offer roughly the same nutrition as their adult counterpart. You are the one that lives with and observes the snake, you are the best judge of how it is doing and what it can handle.

Ok....I will wait untill she sheds a few moretimes. Till she gets a little thicker. Then I will move her up. Thanks everyone.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You shouldn't just change your mind every time someone tells you to do something different! YES, you need to do what you feel is best, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't really know what to look for.

Do some research!

Your snake may be "not thick enough" because it hasn't been fed enough. It should have no problem handling larger prey.

You need to consult a snake expert, show some pictures, and do some reading.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You shouldn't just change your mind every time someone tells you to do something different! YES, you need to do what you feel is best, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't really know what to look for.

Do some research!

Your snake may be "not thick enough" because it hasn't been fed enough. It should have no problem handling larger prey.

You need to consult a snake expert, show some pictures, and do some reading.
I feed her plenty. I did my research weeks before I got her. She has shed twice in my care. Im just trying to take everyones advice. But im getting mixed opinions. So, I know that I have to do what I feel is right. So, Im going to keep her on hoppers for a little bit longer. I know about feeding her mice that are as wide as the thickest part of her body. Adult mice are a little bigger than the thickest part of her body. So im keeping her on the two-three hoppers per week plan for a little longer.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just to be safe, I will keep her on hoppers until she sheds a few more times.
Once you fed your snake a mouse size you though he couldnt eat at first, from that point on you can keep giving him mice that size because his body as now been accustom to the size.

There isnt a negative effect as long as the snake doesnt throw the food back up.

If the snake throws the food back up it means its too big (unless its not at hot enough temps for the snake to digest).

If the snake keeps the food down that means its just the right size to move up to.

I was scared to move my Rainbow boa up a food size because i thought the food that i had brought was going to be too big. but the up side to buying food thats too big is I have a blood python as my disposer loll so he'll eat it.

Last edited:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know about feeding her mice that are as wide as the thickest part of her body. Adult mice are a little bigger than the thickest part of her body. So im keeping her on the two-three hoppers per week plan for a little longer.
How big are these two-three hoppers combined compared to the size of the adult mouse? If they're the same total size or bigger...just go ahead and give her the adult mouse, since the end result is the same. One prey item is better than multiple prey items, you get a better ratio of meat to indigestible things like fur.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big are these two-three hoppers combined compared to the size of the adult mouse? If they're the same total size or bigger...just go ahead and give her the adult mouse, since the end result is the same. One prey item is better than multiple prey items, you get a better ratio of meat to indigestible things like fur.
And to add on to what spore said i think a rat fuzzy is the same size as an adult mouse and I was told (dont know how true/untrue this is) rats are better to feed your snake than mice are.

so if this is true then you minds well put your snake on fuzzy rats because they are the same size as adult mice plus the fur cant be digested which is ok because fuzzie rats barely have hair on them anyway.