1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouldy locust pack?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Julianaxx, Jan 10, 2019 at 6:04 PM.

1. Julianaxx

Julianaxx Arachnopeon

England
    Advertisement
    I brought a pack of locusts from my local pet store a few days ago and as I was going to feed my T’s I noticed that the whole pack was mouldy and the two locusts that were in there were dead, this has never happened before and I didn’t do anything different, the rest of the locusts that I brought I put into a larger enclosure as soon as I got them but I don’t think I’ll be feeding them to my T’s as they could of also been exposed to the mould. Any thoughts on what could have caused it and how to prevent it in the future? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. As long as we're not talking mould on the locusts to the extent it makes them look like cotton balls, I'd feed them. (If the locusts looked like cotton balls, um, rinse them off? lol)
    Mould will die off eventually if allowed to dry out -- ventilating your feeder enclosure.
    Mould is a fact of life, the best you can do is ventilate and no keep things overly damp from here on out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Why? A little mould isn't going to hurt the tarantula.

Read this.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-mold.313315/

Probably covered in the above linked thread but locusts are actually pretty disgusting (which is why I haven't used them for years), their faeces is wet and takes an age to dry out and the pre-packs that feeders come in don't always have the best ventilation, dead feeders tend to mould as well.

Basically;

Nutrients (dead locusts/faeces) + moisture (faeces) + poor air circulation = mould

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Julianaxx

Julianaxx Arachnopeon

England
    Thanks, I think I was just worried because I read somewhere that some types of mould can be harmful to humans so I just thought it might be harmful to my T as well.

5. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Old Timer

Moulds that are harmful to humans/mammals are so because they can get into our lungs, which are warm and moist - perfect for growing bacteria.

Mould will not harm a healthy T. A lot of my enclosures have fungi of different sorts present in them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Julianaxx

Julianaxx Arachnopeon

England
    Okay, thank you for the info. Also what would you suggest as an alternative to locusts?

7. The Grym Reaper

Crickets
    Dubia roaches
    Red runners
    Mealworms
    Superworms
    Waxworms

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron Active Member

Also gonna suggest orange head roaches, and younger hissers since orange heads are meatier and spazzier than dubias and young hissers are soft, don't really dig and despite being able to climb won't last long after escape anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Teal

Roaches are always a good choice! I don't think anyone was saying locusts are bad... they just need to be kept with a lot of ventilation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Julianaxx

Julianaxx Arachnopeon

England
    Aren’t there different types of roaches? Which would be best? And yeah my T hasn’t had any problems with locusts but they’re a bit difficult to keep sometimes.

11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Any feeder roach....ts do not care....you have had 4 differrent comminly kept species already suggested....dubia, red runners, orange head and hissers....but literally any feeder roach species is a good feeder.

12. Teal

The T doesn't have a preference... so the "best" is based on your choice alone. Dubia freeze so don't always elicit a good feeding response, lateralis ("red runners") are fast and people worry about escapees infesting homes, etc. I keep about half a dozen different roach species... they are neat animals in their own right, in addition to their usefulness as feeders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Zevil

Zevil Arachnopeon

I don't feef my dubia roaches to my tarantulas, I usually use red runners. You can prevent escapees by using a small container to scoop up a red runner running around in the colony bin and dump it in your tarantula's enclosure. For the life of me, I can never pick a red runner up with tweezers or tongs, I wonder how people do it.

14. The Grym Reaper

Basically, I'm Mr Miyagi ;)

15. Zevil

Zevil Arachnopeon

Lol. As a Chinese, this is embarrassing.

• Funny Funny x 1