Mould problem

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
hey guys quick question how do yall deal with mould in sling enclosures? I try to keep the sub moist but mould keeps growing. Assuming where im at humidity runs in around 70% on a daily basis is it possible for me to keep my slings on dry sub? Im a lil paranoid they dehydrate

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
hey guys quick question how do yall deal with mould in sling enclosures? I try to keep the sub moist but mould keeps growing. Assuming where im at humidity runs in around 70% on a daily basis is it possible for me to keep my slings on dry sub? Im a lil paranoid they dehydrate
I wouldn't necessarily recommend drying out the substrate, especially without knowing the species. Some preventive measures:
  • Increase ventilation.
  • Remove uneaten prey or leftovers within 24 hours.
  • Use tweezers to remove mold you see.

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't necessarily recommend drying out the substrate, especially without knowing the species. Some preventive measures:
  • Increase ventilation.
  • Remove uneaten prey or leftovers within 24 hours.
  • Use tweezers to remove mold you see.
Brazilian white knee
Red leg
Red knee

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Brazilian white knee
Red leg
Red knee
How big are the slings?

Acanthoscurria geniculata (the "Brazilian white knee") doesn't like it completely dry, even as an adult.

The two Brachypelma species you mentioned can be kept dry as juveniles and adults.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Seeing as your in Singapore you can probably get away with keeping them dryer.

Increasing vent and spot cleaning will help combat mold.

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
How big are the slings?

Acanthoscurria geniculata (the "Brazilian white knee") doesn't like it completely dry, even as an adult.

The two Brachypelma species you mentioned can be kept dry as juveniles and adults.
Oooooo cool thanks

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I try to keep the sub moist but mould keeps growing
Whoa, no kidding? That defies all scientific logic. HAH.

You would need to increase air flow. I would keep your Ts more dry given where you live.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How big are the slings?

What about nhando?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I haven't kept Nhandu, but I think they prefer a little moisture in their substrate (not bone dry).
K my current one could use a lot of extra substrate soon, 10 gal still seems overly large for a 5-6” spider I won’t measure it cuz hairs it kicks : not sure how to fix a sliding screen lid , can thin plexi fit somehow?