Mostly for fun: Arachnophobes, and how to win them over

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
As the title says, this is mostly for fun. There's no need to bash anyone etc for having a legitimate fear of something. While we may not understand this particular fear, there's no reason to put someone down for it. After all, we're all scared of something ,even if it's taxes lol.

Anyway. On a more solid note, if given the chance in your situation, how would you give someone a chance to overcome their fears of arachnids?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Fear is largely due to ignorance. Education can turn fear into fascination. Unfortunately, the person has to decide to take that step when he/she is ready, and many people simply never do it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Slowly introduce them to more of the 'bright' or multicolored NW Ts while educating them on them. People are generally attracted to colorful things. However, this would be done slowly, nothing can be rushed, and it must be taken at the pace they're comfortable with.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
"Accidentally" dump 1,000 adult crickets into their house or apartment and tell them only spiders can get rid of them all.
In all seriousness, I would just tell them all about the spiders, let them look, as most humans would be curious, and if after a few months for weeks of conditioning if they are particularly interested and trustworthy make up an excuse to have them care for an easy to care for tarantula for a few days or a week. Yes, that would amount to them keeping it on a bookshelf and doing nothing, but that's the point. If they are REALLY interested, I would then recommend them here.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Fear is largely due to ignorance. Education can turn fear into fascination. Unfortunately, the person has to decide to take that step when he/she is ready, and many people simply never do it.
I wouldn't say it was completely down to ignorance, not by a long shot. For example, I'm terrified of clowns. I KNOW they won't harm me, and I KNOW they mean me no harm. However, the sight of them still scares me. Sometimes, there's an inbuilt fear (for whatever reason), and it's not always as simple as facing that fear, or learning about the fear itself.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I wouldn't say it was completely down to ignorance, not by a long shot. For example, I'm terrified of clowns. I KNOW they won't harm me, and I KNOW they mean me no harm. However, the sight of them still scares me. Sometimes, there's an inbuilt fear (for whatever reason), and it's not always as simple as facing that fear, or learning about the fear itself.
I agree, but I also can understand nicodimus' reasoning. Most people don't know anything about tarantulas so they fear them as " Oh, big hairy spider!" When you educate them they may lose the fear. There are of course a number of people who are truly arachnophobic, and can't be helped like you with your clown fear or me with my crippling hallucination fear.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
It really helps if they have some fascination with the fear. Even just a few months ago I was terrified of true spiders (but not tarantulas for some reason) but research and observing them has helped tremendously.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I'm thinking a fear factor type scenario where you lock them in a room with a large tarantula until they overcome the fear. What was that? It's illegal to lock people in rooms without their permission? Bah.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I'm thinking a fear factor type scenario where you lock them in a room with a large tarantula until they overcome the fear. What was that? It's illegal to lock people in rooms without their permission? Bah.
My solution is victory via outlasting.
Oh, what's that Karen? The crickets are making your ears bleed? Well, I'm deaf and you hate spiders, sooooo good luck!

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
I agree, but I also can understand nicodimus' reasoning. Most people don't know anything about tarantulas so they fear them as " Oh, big hairy spider!" When you educate them they may lose the fear. There are of course a number of people who are truly arachnophobic, and can't be helped like you with your clown fear or me with my crippling hallucination fear.
I 100% understand working with people who wish to get over their fear, at the persons own willingness and own rate. However, there are people, and I'm picking on "jeff the animal guy" who takes the piss and ignores peoples fears (even if it's a small one) by placing T's on peoples heads etc.

To relate it to my fear of clowns. I remember a few years ago, someone jumped out at me on the way back from the supermarket. I panicked and punched him out!!! I felt terrible for doing that! However, he scared me to death! It was all resolved peacefully after, but still! That was forced onto me, rather than introduced willingly.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I think phobias can sometimes be passed on from parent to child. My mother was terribly afraid of snakes and tried to pass it on to her children and grandchildren. It didn't work with me or my brothers but it did with my sister, and eventually with my niece, even though I tried to save my niece, getting her to touch a milk snake I owned, but fear eventually won. But nether of them is as bad as my mother was.
Randomly my oldest brother was afraid of spiders, even though no one else in the family was.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I have a co worker I consider as close to me as my little sister. She has arachnophobia. She's heard me boasting like a proud parent about her 'nieces and nephews' on numerous occasions. She still has that fear, but Bean (H chilensis/E sp red ) won her over at least with him/her. She loves that baby! She even got him a Christmas present! Well, she said it was for him, but his brothers and sisters could use it, too. A space heater for the coming winter! It took her time. She saw pictures and still was scared. It was when she saw sweet, curious Bean acting like him in person that she squeed like she saw a baby puppy. Now, she asks for his pictures (not the others... not yet), but it's progress :)

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
I think people are conditioned to hate spiders and others insects through other people. My mother hates them and screams and jumps on a chair when she sees one. I remember early in my childhood not being afraid but a few years later I was on the chair too.

Also theres probably an evolutionary reason. Certain things cause adverse reactions because our instinct tells us its is dangerous.

I'd show someone a B. boehmei to get them over their fear.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
The reassurance that they won't escape and bite them, slowly they start to not look over their shoulders as much.