Most Underbred Easy Breeders

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
But the focal point of this thread was ts that are under-bred....OBT is not in this class by a long shot....quite the opposite, the market is consistently flooded with them to the point of devaluing the species.
My apologies great one.
But there should definitely be more P.Murinus available ALL OVER @ like 5$ a pop considering their beauty, easy care, and being so easy to breed, and not to mention a joy watch. That's how they should be promoted, not as some AGGRESSIVE and DANGEROUS animal that will threat pose at every tap of the enclosure and would make a horrible first tarantula.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Great thread!!! although I have been in the hobby for not to long compared to most other experienced people. There are a lot to put in mind, I personally think underbred is a good term. Because people are always looking for T.'s, but there are a lot of factors a person can identify, including species or genus that makes them underbred. The most underbred genus IMO, is the Grammostola. Almost no one breeds these species, but the G. Rosea, G. porteri, and G. pulchripes. Seriously, even after how long they have been around in the hobby. many of this species are still complicated to find sometimes, and prices have shifted a lot over time. I remember when the P. metallica was alot more than the G. pulchra, now its almost the other way around, since people massively bred the P. metallica. But IMO I think that people are not breeding them fast enough, I don't blame breeders (me included). It's that People are massively joining into this hobby nowadays, especially due to the influence of social media, which makes them want one. This IMO is where the "underbred" term comes in. People join the T. hobby, but most are not dedicated for breeding their T.'s. They just want a cool T. for display and are glad they have that certain T. whatever T. it is. Many T.'s just die not having a chance to actually breed and pass on their next generation. Which is kind of sad.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
My apologies great one.
But there should definitely be more P.Murinus available ALL OVER @ like 5$ a pop considering their beauty, easy care, and being so easy to breed, and not to mention a joy watch. That's how they should be promoted, not as some AGGRESSIVE and DANGEROUS animal that will threat pose at every tap of the enclosure and would make a horrible first tarantula.
...or that will take up all the d***ed room in the closet and steal the covers at night and throw their wet towels on the floor should you allow them the run of the place, as I have so foolishly done here lately! Men, sheesh.

Seriously, though, for a thoughtful and appropriately cautious newbie, the only thing that keeps this spider from being a reasonable early edition, if not a first tarantula, is their incredible speed and notable boltiness during transfers--wouldn't you agree? They want the heck out of here, and they can get there by teleportation or at least a good old-fashioned "feets-don't-fail-me-now" ass-hauling.

That and the knowledge that a bite from these guys is pretty much akin to a pit viper bite in terms of pain is enough to make these guys belong squarely in the more experienced category. No, they don't want you dead, they just want themselves gone. And they've got the speed and determination to make it so.

Last edited:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
My theory about the Gramastola and Brachypelma that don't get bred is that it just takes so bloody long for them to grow up even big enough to responsibly sell, let alone to maturity, and most people just can't hang. They just don't have what it takes to remain connected for the Long Haul.

However, as they become more rare in the wild and more inaccessible due to regulation, their value a slings is going to go through the roof. That's when people will start breeding them, when we can't get them otherwise.

We just so want the instant gratification of a well grown out juvenile or mature adult. I fall prey to it too, sometimes. I'm about to lose my "great big ol' hairy spider" LP boy that I raised from a teninsie baby, so I popped for a big beautiful tripepii female to take his place in that gorgeous big planted tank, if not immediately in my heart.

And yet slings are just so awesome in their own right! In truth, I am no fan of the mature appearance of the curly hair, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more fun little spiderling to mess with than a cute wee albopilosum, right? They just have so much personality.

I have made myself, as an act of personal discipline, start searching out species that I know little or nothing about and that will take a long time to mature. I call them my "irons in the fire." The latest is a wee A. crinirufrum about the size of a small lentil. I'll be drawing Social Security before it's the size of a garbanzo bean. Hardly the point. Like gardening, having tiny little slow growing spiders is about personal discipline and developing a little patience--no small feat for someone with the raging ADHD and impulse control issues that I can struggle with sometimes. Little slow growing spiders are making me a better person. :angelic:

That, of course, and the fact that this tiny little speck makes my quarter inch hamorii look like Godzilla in comparison. Context is everything. :smug:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Hey you Thrixopelma fans? Speaking of T. Lagunas, my wee tiny butt-waver, who has not eaten at all well since I got her a week and a bit ago, shed today. She probably has grown from pinky fingernail to index fingernail in size, legs included, and she's already showing a distinct and lovely French blue, absolutely stunning.

Y'all get out there and get some of these. A sling that shows coloration coming in this small is an asset and an easily-movable commodity. I'm determined that's half the reason why P irminia slings are so easy to sell. They're just so dadgummed adorable as slings!

T. Lagunas is a new favorite for me... as long as she starts eating better once she hardens up.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
A lot of the dwarf species are underbred imo, not sure which ones are easy breeders though.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Can some Cyriocosmus ( and other dwarf) breeders chime in? I'm curious, too.

aikouikirisu

Arachnopeon
Great thread!!! although I have been in the hobby for not to long compared to most other experienced people. There are a lot to put in mind, I personally think underbred is a good term. Because people are always looking for T.'s, but there are a lot of factors a person can identify, including species or genus that makes them underbred. The most underbred genus IMO, is the Grammostola. Almost no one breeds these species, but the G. Rosea, G. porteri, and G. pulchripes. Seriously, even after how long they have been around in the hobby. many of this species are still complicated to find sometimes, and prices have shifted a lot over time. I remember when the P. metallica was alot more than the G. pulchra, now its almost the other way around, since people massively bred the P. metallica. But IMO I think that people are not breeding them fast enough, I don't blame breeders (me included). It's that People are massively joining into this hobby nowadays, especially due to the influence of social media, which makes them want one. This IMO is where the "underbred" term comes in. People join the T. hobby, but most are not dedicated for breeding their T.'s. They just want a cool T. for display and are glad they have that certain T. whatever T. it is. Many T.'s just die not having a chance to actually breed and pass on their next generation. Which is kind of sad.
I plan on breeding my G. pulchra (I'm getting a few to increase my chance of a pair). My understanding is that we mostly import them, but also they can be difficult to breed. I'm up for the challenge to increase the CB G. pulchra population in the U.S.