Most Underbred Easy Breeders

Dovey

Arachnobaron
What species, in your opinion, is the most under-represented on availability lists even though they are easy to breed? I don't breed often enough to be willing to put up with a big headache. I save that for getting my local chalcodes to cooperate. But I seem to have a knack for getting spiders to find themselves in the mood--just don't want to lose my touch! What is easy to breed but needs breeding? If that makes any sense.... Oh, and extra points for small sacs!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Brachypelma schroderi? I've never heard of Brachys being hard to breed, but nobody has these for sale.

boina

Lady of the mites
Eupalaestrus campestratus. At least in Europe they are very rare at the moment but I don't know about the amount of eggs.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
What a fun reply! As it happens, I've got a great big growing campy that is eating like a pig. I got her/him as a dealmaker in a Craigslist group purchase. And I'm falling in love with this species! Just waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl to proceed. I'm just betting it's a girl for some reason. I've had more boys than statistics and probability can possibly support, but I can just feel it. She's all woman!

Brachypelma schroderi? I've never heard of Brachys being hard to breed, but nobody has these for sale.
So are they a "poor man's pulcra" or a "rich man's pulcra?" Availability changes so fast, as does price! What are they going for these days... and of course I asked as a buyer, not a seller. Don't care what babies go for from a remunerative position. Just want to do some good in the hobby. Feeding slings is cheaper than therapy and just as successful for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Mine was "please take this boring brown spider, or I'll be stuck with it for the rest of my life" dollars.

I love it when that happens. :cold:

boina

Lady of the mites
What a fun reply! As it happens, I've got a great big growing campy that is eating like a pig. I got her/him as a dealmaker in a Craigslist group purchase. And I'm falling in love with this species! Just waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl to proceed. I'm just betting it's a girl for some reason. I've had more boys than statistics and probability can possibly support, but I can just feel it. She's all woman!
Great! I've a campi MM and I've been trying to find a mate for him for 6 months but no such luck. I fear he will outlive his days as a bachelor :(.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
And you're in Germany. Blast! I don't care what anybody says, it's not THAT small a world after all! Grrr. Argh.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Not only underrepresented, but also the huge demand species. Having been volunteering for a dealer for over a year, I have the luxury of seeing which species are constantly in demand and sell regardless.
We can't seem to get enough Brachypelma albopilosum and Grammostola pulchripes. I understand that both are fairly easy to breed, with the Brachy being the easier of the two. You would just need to be prepared for the number of spiderlings that you might get from them - which is in the hundreds.
I chose my first breeding project to be Avicularia avicularia - they are easy to breed, have smaller egg sacs than some of the terrestrial species, and there are currently no spiderlings being offered by breeders. In addition, I am constantly being asked for them at the expos and we never have them.
Of course, selling at expos and selling exclusively online can be two completely different worlds. In addition, being from Canada also means that I have a vastly different market to consider than people in the states.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
Yea, g. pulchripes in Canada is hard to find. It took me a few months to find a sling.

cold blood

Staff member
Nhandu tend to be easy to breed...not small sacs, but carapoensis and tripepii are severely under represented in the hobby. Last year there was either a shipment of tripepii or a good hatching, either way I am hoping that something can be done for them at least in the next year...I have one confirmed female, but won't be ready to breed for another solid year....I almost never see caraponesis available.

@VanessaS , too bad there s a border at the great lakes, I breed A. avic regularly with my 4 females. About every other year I pair them all....this year is one of those years....I have 2 MMs and one female ( @Dannica 's female) currently on a sac and another to be paired in the coming weeks...waiting on another three females to molt so they can be paired.

I've never heard much in terms of difficulty breeding any Thrixopelma, and there's never enough of any of them...even the most available ockerti isn't all that abundant....I have a puriens female that I am hopng to be able to find a MM for when she matures.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
@VanessaS , too bad there s a border at the great lakes, I breed A. avic regularly with my 4 females. About every other year I pair them all....this year is one of those years....I have 2 MMs and one female ( @Dannica 's female) currently on a sac and another to be paired in the coming weeks...waiting on another three females to molt so they can be paired.
I've never heard much in terms of difficulty breeding any Thrixopelma, and there's never enough of any of them...even the most available ockerti isn't all that abundant....I have a puriens female that I am hopng to be able to find a MM for when she matures.
Both myself and Dawn, owner of Tangled in Webs, got one mature male each. She has a number of mature females, so, between the both of us, we will hopefully have some soon.
And talking about it being a shame about that border - I have two juvenile male T.pruriens that I will gladly share when the time comes and I will be having a very difficult time finding a female. Not that many people have the love that I do for Thrixopelma.
Knowing my recent luck, my two Thrixopelma sp. Cajamarca are probably male as well. I am definitely not going to be able to find a female for them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You aren't alone.

I think a lack of availability as well as general info on Thrixies keeps many from having the love for them we do.
They were more common about 15 years ago, well okerti was at least. But I have started to seem a bit more than usual at some herp shows, but compared to other species, of course not that much.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Not only underrepresented, but also the huge demand species. Having been volunteering for a dealer for over a year, I have the luxury of seeing which species are constantly in demand and sell regardless.
We can't seem to get enough Brachypelma albopilosum and Grammostola pulchripes. I understand that both are fairly easy to breed, with the Brachy being the easier of the two. You would just need to be prepared for the number of spiderlings that you might get from them - which is in the hundreds.
I chose my first breeding project to be Avicularia avicularia - they are easy to breed, have smaller egg sacs than some of the terrestrial species, and there are currently no spiderlings being offered by breeders. In addition, I am constantly being asked for them at the expos and we never have them.
Of course, selling at expos and selling exclusively online can be two completely different worlds. In addition, being from Canada also means that I have a vastly different market to consider than people in the states.
Now that is interesting. How is the Canadian Market different from the United States Market?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Now that is interesting. How is the Canadian Market different from the United States Market?
There are huge differences in the number of species available and the price. The Canadian market is very limited and some of the most common, inexpensive, species found in the states can go for huge dollars... if you can even find them.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
There are huge differences in the number of species available and the price. The Canadian market is very limited and some of the most common, inexpensive, species found in the states can go for huge dollars... if you can even find them.
Wow, I had no idea there was that much difference. I'm amazed.

Well for what it's worth, you guys have really cornered the market on ants! That antscanada guy cracks me up with his videos. They're so epic!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Budget mini pulchra

Can't help you on price as I'm in the UK but I saw slings for sale here at £14 ($19.72) each.
You know, we just hardly ever see $20 slings in pet shops here in Phoenix. I think our Pet Shop prices are high, but the online breeders and dealers do a pretty good job of reaching consensus on supply and demand and what the market will bear. I did see some $10 hmac slings in a local pet store recently, and wondered if perhaps he had $10 grizzly bear cubs out back? My thought was I hope a bunch of kids don't come in and buy these because this is what they can afford. :wideyed:

So I repose the question: what's easy to breed that doesn't get bred nearly enough?