1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most interesting scorpion

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by akazaran, Sep 10, 2019.

1. akazaran

akazaran Arachnopeon Active Member

geneva
    Advertisement
    Hello everybody,
    Do you guys notice differences ins behavior beteween different scorpion species? And if it is the case what is, for you, the specie with the most interesting behavior?

2. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnoknight Active Member

The largest Buthid in the world, Parabuthus villosus:

Screenshot_20190910-045019_Drive.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnolord Active Member

Dixie
    Agree 100% @Outpost31Survivor! I keep P. villosus (black) and it never disappoints, always active, curious, and eating.

Now, if you truly desire to know the parameters between most interesting, P. villosus, to least interesting, the least would be H. troglodytes. I got mine over a year and a half ago as 2 instar, and it is still 2 instar. If you are one who likes looking at an enclosure full of flat rocks, and not have to waste money on feeders, one of these is what you want.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. akazaran

geneva
    That s funny. I got my first P villosus and it fits exactly with your description: "always active, curious, and eating"
    And it looks fantastic!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mordax8393

Mordax8393 Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Here are some interesting scorpions:

Parabuthus transvaalicus: sprays venom out the tail at attackers
    Chaerilus sp.: Don't fluoresce
    Akrav israchanani: Only member of family, cave-dwelling, only dead ones have been found
    Apistobuthus pterygocerus: Very interesting tail morphology
    Superstitionia donensis: Sole member of family
    Microtityus: Smallest scorpions
    Diplocentrus melici: Antibiotic venom
    Leiurus quinquestriatus: Venom has a quality that can highlight brain tumors in humans (to make surgery easier)

• Informative Informative x 6
  6. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Granted, I have very limited experience with scorpions but the most interesting out of those I've kept is Paravaejovis spinigerus, pretty much always out, feisty, quick to use its stinger, and a great eater.

Least interesting was Heterometrus laoticus.

7. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnodemon Active Member

I really love the look of colorful communal species all hanging out together, such as Tityus and Centruroides.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like Like x 1
  8. akazaran

geneva
    Arthroverts: The idea of keeping communaly hot scorps like Tityus communaly scare me a bit. I think I might be surprised by 1 individual while my attention is focused on another one but I never tryed so ultimately I have no idea and the idea of keeping scorps communaly is definitely attracting. What is your opinion regarding safety (I mean safety of the breeder)? Did you develop any particular protocol to work with this kind of setting?

9. Rhino1

Rhino1 Arachnoknight Active Member

Might be hard for you to come across them but these guys do it for me. They inhabit coastal sand dunes right down to the water line, living along side ghost crabs, in bigger enclosures they will run down crickets in the blink of an eye, quite often catching them mid air.
    They are savage breeders, even to a point where males will break females claws, I will be pairing mine up this week maybe.
    It's like a scorpion that wishes that they were a crab and honestly, who doesn't love a beach themed enclosure?
    Urodacus Novahollandae- Coastal dune scorpion.
    IMG_20190912_064427.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Arthroverts

@akazaran, I am not the best person to talk to when it comes to safety and potent buthids; people like @ArachnoDrew, @Jason Brantley, @Scorpionluva, @ButhidaeBomb, and @brandontmyers all have a LOT more experience than I do on this subject.

With that said, a high(er) enclosure and the use of tongs could easily mitigate the risk of a sting from my understanding. Also, not all Tityus sp. are deadly venomous; it is a large genus with a wide variety in venom potency; I personally would only keep the non-fatal species, as I don't have the expertise yet to deal with the likes of T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus.
    If only T. smithi were more common in the hobby (and cheaper!)...

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. akazaran

geneva
    Australia is such a cool place.You can get stung by a scorpions and a Deadly venomous fish at the very same place!:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Arachnosquire Active Member

Orthochirus innesi do this funny metasoma wag. The move it side to side almost like they're using it for radar. Pretty sure they're the only ones that do it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NMWAPBT

What's tityus smithi venom like? Is it not as potent as others in the genus?

14. Arthroverts

@NMWAPBT, I hear it is likely not deadly, only about 3/5 on the scale. There isn't really any conclusive information on their venom, but that was what I was told by someone who was breeding them. They are the only other species of Tityus I've seen available in the US other than T. stigmurus and T. serrulatus.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. woodie

woodie Arachnopeon Active Member

Sometimes I've seen Tityus asthenes for sale, But rarely. Has really creepy long pedipalps. Not sure toxicity of its venom

16. Arthroverts

@woodie, who was selling them? I have never heard of that species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

17. NMWAPBT

It would be really cool if they were only a 3. I'd definitely want some in my collection then. I've also considered microtityus really neat little scorpions. Super small. Some were available on an import n I passed them up along with a few others. Really regretting it now .

18. Arthroverts

@NMWAPBT, tell me where this import was available, ahh!

Anyway, Microtityus sp. are awesome, but I have a terrible time with small invertebrates. I just don't do well with them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

19. woodie

woodie Arachnopeon Active Member

Cant find post, But saw them on a list within last two weeks. If I gind it again will let you know

20. NMWAPBT

It was one 03 arachnids was doing. Last chance to order was mid Aug. Definitely not going to pass them up next time. Funds weren't aligned with my wants this time around. Next time I may just have to use a credit card lmao .